• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any Users of corel 13 (x3) yet

cdsgraphic

any thoughts... better, worse. How does the new corel trace work? Looks like it has a lot of nice new features, but I need to know if it works as well as it looks.

thanks... :peace!:

lpc

Without a doubt, get the upgrade. You'll be glad you did. The new Corel Trace is 1000 fold better and works from within X3, not externally anymore.

Corel has a definite winner here!:cool1:

Dave

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The new features fill a void but the implemetation is maddening in some cases.

The new trace is a thing of beauty and is worth the price for that alone.

The step and repeat function only allows one direction at a time which is annoying.

Likewise the color adjustment lab and the cutout lab in PhotoPaint.

The bevel function is OK but it still yields a bitmap so if you want to do a chisled effect you have to do sime tracing. Still far better than try do do in all by hand.

The fillet/chamfer/scallop function is a royal pain. There is no preview. You set it and it's done. If you want to do it with other parameters, you have to use the undo to get rid of it. Otherwise it will scallop your scallops.

Is it worth it? I'm not unhappy I bought it. Not thrilled but not unhappy.

ChiknNutz

I got it and like it. I started with 9, then 11, then 12 and now 13 (x3). I feel it is worth the upgrade. The boundary feature is nice, but I don't know why in the heck they didn't incorporate some amount of adjustability. It puts the outline EXACTLY around the image...would be much more useful if you could set an amount inside or outside of the boundary...to incorporate an amount of bleed when printing and cutting. This is what it's s'posed to be used for, but I find you still have to do an add'l outline to get it where you want it for use with print-n-cut.

cdsgraphic

ok, sounds like it's fairly good. how about the contour function... If you contour an object (text), is the resulting contour still built with about a billion nodes?

... inquiring minds want to know

ChiknNutz

I forgot to mention that. The Contour function is MUUUUUUUUUUUUCH improved. I've noticed a significant reduction in nodes. As has been mentioned, the Trace is FAR superior to previous versions...so much so it isn't even close to what it used to be.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
GraphiXtreme said:
It puts the outline EXACTLY around the image...would be much more useful if you could set an amount inside or outside of the boundary...to incorporate an amount of bleed when printing and cutting. This is what it's s'posed to be used for, but I find you still have to do an add'l outline to get it where you want it for use with print-n-cut.
I would use this function quite a bit.

Does the outline become a seperate object? Can you resize the outline?

:Coffee:

2NinerNiner2

Bonjour all,

I have used CorelDRAW since Version 1.0 and as Chris' post above perhaps alludes to, the odd version numbers seem to be the best, including this one. While I haven't purchased the upgrade yet, I will be doing so when the trial version expires, specifically for the auto trace function; worth the price itself.

cwa

I like the Auto adjust in Corel paint. Corel Paint comes up much quicker now but if you double click a bitmap it wont come up anymore, and you can't move the nodes to resize like in 11 (12 would'nt let you either) you have to go to C Paint and cut the image now. Other little shortcuts are gone but overall I like it! Glad I still have 9's Clipart and Photo disks! Get your magnifying glass out for the vehicals in X3 and good luck finding what you need quickly! Nice that they added them though

cwa

Anyone know how to make the 3X eydropper tool pick up color in a bitmap? Had to go into 11 and export to use in 3X.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The demo version may not really impart how the licensing scheme works.

Perhaps M!Snyder was wanting to know if Corel X3 adopts an activation scheme similar to Adobe. I'd like to know if X3 does that as well.

AdobeCS2 applications limit you to an install maximum of two machines in your name, and only one of those can be "active." To run the software on the other machine you have to transfer activation. This may be workable for a home environment where you have a suite loaded on a desktop machine and also on a personal notebook. In a commercial working environment (like a sign shop with numerous computers, you're stuck with buying numerous licenses).

m!snyder

exactly what I want to know Bobby H

there is definately going to be some differences in the demo version, because it has to allow for demo use. But i can't really tell for sure whether the full version still requires activation ...

According to Corel's knowledge base, it only give instructions for activation when installing the demo/download version. I can't find a reference to installing the full version other than the "what to do before installing X3" article which seems to be much different than the steps for the demo/download version.

At any rate, x3 will arrive here in a couple days, for better or worse, so I'll be sure to let inquiring minds know whats up...

SignManiac

You're going to like it. It has all the tools to do what ever your imagination can come up with.

Here's a recent design I created with X3 for a design workshop on another forum.

icehouse-02.jpg

SignManiac

the bevels are a new tool in X3.. and they can be adjusted from the edge to the center depending on the look you want. Light angle can be fine tuned also.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The bevel (or "chisel" or "prismatic") effects look okay...

...but they still have those awful divits where one stroke joins another.

That's not a specific knock against Corel. There is absolutely no bevel effect in existence anywhere which creates the effect properly. None of Adobe's filters do it right. Heck, none of the 3D CNC routing programs do it right either. The only way to get the effect right is by building it up by hand (quite a pain to do). That's one of the reasons why lots of wood signs featuring chiseled primsmatic letters are hand carved rather than made by a computer.

Anyway,

The question still stands about that activation thing. Does Corel still install the same old way. Or are they doing something similar to Adobe's activation scheme?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bobby H said:
The question still stands about that activation thing. Does Corel still install the same old way. Or are they doing something similar to Adobe's activation scheme?

No magic incantations, no secret decoder rings, no other applied paranoia, just install it like always. There's no mechanism to prevent you from installing your copy on every machine in the western hemisphere, all you need is the code printed on the box for each installation.