• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any way to create tiles in Photoshop?

Signsforwhile

We received a very large file from a customer to print. Total size is 80"x247". We do not want to bring down the resolution since it needs to match previous smaller files that we already printed and installed. Flexi production manager is getting stuck ripping the file so I'm sure it's the size.

Is there any way to create and export tiles with overlaps in photoshop without manually cropping panles out?

rjssigns

With large files we take them down to at least 50% size, more often than not 25%. Then we tell the RIP either 200% or 400% scaling. The RIP will determine panels which we double check. Easy Peasy.

Signsforwhile

Currently its a 72 dpi JPG. Arent we going to loose quality if we drop the size and then have the rip scale it back up?...

phototec

I don't know of any AUTOMATIC way of making over-lapping panels in Photoshop, I like to be control, so I just handle all large file size panels manually, takes Little more time but I have full control over graphic and text placements regarding overlaps in Photoshop. The RIP can't make judgments based on graphic (design) content.

:thumb: Quality over easy here...

MikePro

easiest way I can think of in Photoshop, is to setup rulers/guides for your tiles and then crop>save>undo>crop>save another>etc.
rip software tiling, however, for the win.

Signsforwhile

Looks like this sorted itself out. I must have left what I thought was a stuck RIP over the weekend. Came in this morning file was ripped ready for printing!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
An 80" X 247" image at 72ppi is big, but not extremely huge in terms of pixel count. I've designed bigger files, saved in TIF format and Roland VersaWorks had no problem ripping it. I wonder if there's some other things going on with the computer system (lack of RAM, not enough hard disc space, etc.).