• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anybody use Mac?

ADVANCED DISPLAY

ADVANCED DISPLAY
So, I've been really drooling over the Mac studio, I don't know how many nerds we have and how many of those are in the Mac camp, I LOATH windows. Seeing as how coreldraw and I believe the adobe suite runs on the new M1 chips (ultra, ughhh makes me tingle) Im seriously flirting with the idea of getting one.

The two main workstations I have here now are windows machines :)mad:) and while they're doing their job...... they do have a tendency of acting LIKE WINDOWS MACHINES and shit will freeze from time to time etc.

Just looking to get some opinions if anybody's tried one.

Dan360

We have 4 Macs, one of them is the M1 chip and while it's fast, the computer has issues with our network. Disconnects randomly and when saving large files onto our NAS.

The 3 Intel macs are fine, I'm tempted to return the M1 for an Intel.

rjssigns

I have both. Mac for the tough stuff using Adobe(but drifting into Affinity) and a PC with Flexi for the RIP and basic layouts.

Maybe one of these years I'll get ambitious and do a VM to run Flexi on a Mac. For right now though everything is humming along, just the way I like it.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Diehard Mac fan. Started off with a MacPlus. You will have stones thrown at you on here for using a Mac. They will yell at you and pi$$ on your front yard.
just curious, did you also have a BETAMAX?

before i was a computer consultant, i was in the commercial video business, and got to fight that battle as well

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm a PC guy but mostly because my dad is a Mac guy and I had to rebel. They are winning me over with their privacy push though.

• Agree
Reactions: Lux

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Ford<->Chevy. I'm PC my, partner is a Mac person. Either will do and each presents slightly different ways than the other in order to produce identical results. I like Corel, been using it since version 1 and don't mind Windows. Probably due to spending 32 years at Hewlett Packard. My partner likes Mac most likely because that's what he had to use in school. From this you should be able to discern that I'm substantially older than my partner. Back in the day Apple gave their product away to schools of every kind. A good investment since when these students leave all they know are Apple products.

garyroy

I sometimes wonder if Windows problems are from the software or the hardware.
I can't say our Windows computers (4) have frozen twice in a year.
We're running all kinds of software including Corel, VersWorks, UPS, Quickbooks, etc.

jochwat

Graphics Department
I used to miss just being able to turn on a computer and it's ready to go (e.g. 8-bit Commodore machines). But the current machine I have (running Windows 11 Pro), with it's great speed and SSD boot drive, well... it's ALMOST like the old machine bootup speed. Literally, from a cold start, "off" condition, it's up and running within seconds. Like, 5 seconds, tops. And actually running -- not just showing the wallpaper. I can start running programs and stuff. At one time I used to think I needed a Mac to work in graphics. But, nah. All the speed and graphics power I could ask for, much more customizable, and a lower price tag. The 34" high-res monitor is fun, too.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I bet the non-Mac users loved going to Radio Shack back in the day.
TRS80.jpg

ProColorGraphics

So, I've been really drooling over the Mac studio, I don't know how many nerds we have and how many of those are in the Mac camp, I LOATH windows. Seeing as how coreldraw and I believe the adobe suite runs on the new M1 chips (ultra, ughhh makes me tingle) Im seriously flirting with the idea of getting one.

The two main workstations I have here now are windows machines :)mad:) and while they're doing their job...... they do have a tendency of acting LIKE WINDOWS MACHINES and **** will freeze from time to time etc.

Just looking to get some opinions if anybody's tried one.
I just got my new Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra and it is awesome!! I have been all Mac for the past 10+ years, other than a few PC's I have to have for specific programs to run certain equipment.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The thing about the whole PC vs Mac debate is that PC can mean a junk HP from Best Buy with all of the lowest quality parts, or a top of the line self built PC with all the bells and whistles. People with experience can build a PC with Mac specs for around the same cost or cheaper in some cases. There's no such thing as an economy Mac. In my opinion, most Mac people have only experienced the HP Best Buy scenario so they're tainted.

victor bogdanov

The thing about the whole PC vs Mac debate is that PC can mean a junk HP from Best Buy with all of the lowest quality parts, or a top of the line self built PC with all the bells and whistles. People with experience can build a PC with Mac specs for around the same cost or cheaper in some cases. There's no such thing as an economy Mac. In my opinion, most Mac people have only experienced the HP Best Buy scenario so they're tainted.
Exactly, I had a fried go from a $400 laptop to a $3K mac and he wouldn't stop talking about how much better the mac was and how the pc was horrible. I know a few more cases where people switched from a $500 pc to a mac costing 4x more and then talking about how good the mac was....

netsol

Premium Subscriber
a good friend does a talk radio show from NYC. HE always talks about the line at the apple store, 14 blocks long when a new iphone comes out. he says if you go into the microsoft store, they think you want change for parking meter. nobody is standing in line for the new surface tablet

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
a good friend does a talk radio show from NYC. HE always talks about the line at the apple store, 14 blocks long when a new iphone comes out. he says if you go into the microsoft store, they think you want change for parking meter. nobody is standing in line for the new surface tablet
Oh for sure. I'm not bashing Apple products. Just saying they're made to be premium products and should be compared to others in it's same category.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Closest thing to a Mac I have is a 12.9" 2nd gen iPad Pro. It's a great device to have for anything that involves drawing or sketching directly on the screen. I used to hand draw a lot of sketches and elements on paper and run them through a flat bed scanner. Not anymore. The Apple Pencil generally works great. There is a wide variety of art/graphics apps one can download from the Apple App Store. Most are very inexpensive. I think I paid $8 for Procreate. The iPad version of Affinity Designer is about half the price of the desktop version; you can work on the same files between the two platforms. Adobe has a variety of Creative Cloud apps available for the iPad, including full versions of Illustrator and Photoshop. It's pretty nice to be able to work on the same .AI file on either a PC or an iPad.

The iPad is also very good as a "media consumption" device. Image quality is great; obviously movies and TV shows will look great when streamed on it. The built-in speakers sound good; there's even a decent amount of bass thump. Battery life is great. I've had this iPad for a few years and can still get at least several hours of solid use per charge.

In another year or two I'll consider upgrading the device for a newer M-series CPU model. We'll have to see how the pricing shakes out though.