• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple vs. PC poll

Apple vs. PC

• I've always used only PCs

Votes: 167 44.7%
  • I've always used only Macs

Votes: 29 7.8%
  • I went Mac and never went back

Votes: 27 7.2%
  • I went PC and never went back

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • I went Mac and then I went back to PC

Votes: 30 8.0%
  • I went PC and then I went back to Mac

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • I use both

Votes: 110 29.4%

• Total voters

WildWestDesigns

Yea, I know that the virus issue is sort of under control, . . . . except for the one that was wrecking havoc a couple of weeks ago. Also, how many hours and how many dollars have been spent "protecting" your pc's?
Here, I have three networked Mac workstations, on line 24/7 for the most part. No viruses, no software. Don't give me that 5% argument. The geek who writes the first real Mac virus will be famous in the hacking world.

I run just one anti-virus program that took me less then 10 minutes to get running. The difference between my system's cost and as close as I can get to the MAC version, I can pay for yearly renewel on that antivirus for at least a decade(depending on if the cost goes up and how much it does) if not more. In all honesty, I stopped trying to calculating it, because my current setup will more then likely be an antique by then.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
This poll was actually to test a theory and I should have thought it out more.

The theory was that if a person started on Macs, they would never try PCs because they were completely happy. If you started on PCs, a good % would try Macs because they eventually got frustrated. Yes, I'm biased.

WildWestDesigns

This poll was actually to test a theory and I should have thought it out more.

The theory was that if a person started on Macs, they would never try PCs because they were completely happy. If you started on PCs, a good % would try Macs because they eventually got frustrated. Yes, I'm biased.

Not all were frustrated with PCs that tried MACs though. At least not with my dad, he wanted something different. At least he never mentioned frustration with a PC to me. Then he went back to the PC after having that MAC for a couple of weeks.

My mom likes her MACBook, but she is also going back to the PC with her next laptop, but I think it was for other reasons then my dad.

A lot of variables to consider.

I think you can find wonderful products on both ends, you just have to evaluate what you consider to be more important and what is worth it to you.

WrapperX

Macs don't have the virus problems that Windows/PC users have for one reason and reason only - it doesn't play well with others. PCs and Windows is designed, programmed and made to be universal which requires it to be more vulnerable however it means that it is more versatile and more consumer friendly. Sure it has its weaknesses but when a new user sits down and trys to operate the computer they CAN for the most part figure out how to get to their programs and open them and operate. Macs are proprietary machines. They only work well with their parts, their programs, and they are very hard to get used to if you are a new user who only uses them infrequently. This is what makes Windows a more profitable company - they can sell to anyone and anyone can use their systems. Mac is a speciallized machine and I would bet that Mac/Apple has decreased its revenue via Desktop units and moved to a much more profitable company via IPods, IPads, Macbooks, and other gadgets of the like.

Joe Diaz

A lot of variables to consider.

True that, In my case I had to start using Macs because the new job I had at the time was mostly Mac. I gave it an honest try, but was still much faster on a PC. When it came time to get new computers, I convinced my boss to let me get a PC for my workstation. The Mac just wasn't my thing. I certainly didn't try Mac because I was unhappy with PC's. But I am glad I at least tried something different. Now I know.

I can appreciate the comments from mac users that their software is designed for their hardware, therefor it is more stable, and normally I would check that off as a pro, But my old mac crashed out of programs all the time, more than my PCs in fact, not to mention some of my most used programs are windows only, I would need to install windows on a Mac anyway. Where as with a PC, I don't need a second OS.

gnemmas

I was always wondering:

did Steve Job pulled off a genius (as he is) marketing investment by donating Mac computers to all design schools decades ago?

Attachments

• 080214114517-large.jpg
    080214114517-large.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 147

2972renfro

Macs don't have the virus problems that Windows/PC users have for one reason and reason only - it doesn't play well with others. PCs and Windows is designed, programmed and made to be universal which requires it to be more vulnerable however it means that it is more versatile and more consumer friendly. Sure it has its weaknesses but when a new user sits down and trys to operate the computer they CAN for the most part figure out how to get to their programs and open them and operate. Macs are proprietary machines. They only work well with their parts, their programs, and they are very hard to get used to if you are a new user who only uses them infrequently. This is what makes Windows a more profitable company - they can sell to anyone and anyone can use their systems. Mac is a speciallized machine and I would bet that Mac/Apple has decreased its revenue via Desktop units and moved to a much more profitable company via IPods, IPads, Macbooks, and other gadgets of the like.

The statement about easier to use is your opinion, not a fact. I could say the exact same thing about my Mac being easier to use. It is all in what you are comfortable with. My daughter who is under 10 years old is lost on a PC at school but has no problems using our Mac at home.

Robert Boyd

I also use both platforms. I am using a Dell Precision 360. We purchsed two in 2004. They both get used all day-everyday. The case on mine has never been opened. My partners computer need the hard drive repaced last year. We paid a little over $3,000. each. We are going to replace them soon.
I also have a G5, also was around $3,000. I think we purchased in 2005. It also has never needed any service. I use it for files sent to me for printing. It is our 3rd Mac.
I think the reason alot of people have PC problems is that they purchase the cheapest computer they can find. The Dell precision was the most we could afford and its performance has proved we made a good choice.
We print to three large format printers, so I encounter large files on a regular basis.
For me Coreldraw does an exellent job. I have Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop CS3, InDesign CS4. I only use these for customer files sent to me.

Jim Doggett

PC, becuase it's what I know :^)

As for justifying above laziness:

1. Way cheaper hardware
2. Way more software available
3. More peripherals available, especially in the sign/CAD/tool control arena

Brand/feeling/what it is...

Apple is cool, tendy and something you use because you love it.

Windows just does what you need it to do. Git 'er done; fall in love with something other than your computer :^)

IMHO :^)

WrapperX

The statement about easier to use is your opinion, not a fact. I could say the exact same thing about my Mac being easier to use. It is all in what you are comfortable with. My daughter who is under 10 years old is lost on a PC at school but has no problems using our Mac at home.

Yes you are right - it is an opinion, and I never put it out as Fact. However in the defense of the statement, your 10 year old daughter is/was probably used to using Macs at school - thats what the school uses so thats what she's used to. I'm speaking about someone who has never used a computer - Hard to find these days I know - BUT I would bet that if they did a study of people completly computer illiterate and sat them down with no prior instructions and said navigate these machines and tell us which one is easier to use. What do you think would be the majority opinion. Sure Mac is doing what they can about their OS but it still seems awkward, to me. And I've been using Macs on and off for the past 10 years. And 9 out of 10 I want to put my fist through the monitor. I only want to fist my PC 10% of the time. Just saying... :peace!:

2972renfro

Yes you are right - it is an opinion, and I never put it out as Fact. However in the defense of the statement, your 10 year old daughter is/was probably used to using Macs at school - thats what the school uses so thats what she's used to. I'm speaking about someone who has never used a computer - Hard to find these days I know - BUT I would bet that if they did a study of people completly computer illiterate and sat them down with no prior instructions and said navigate these machines and tell us which one is easier to use. What do you think would be the majority opinion. Sure Mac is doing what they can about their OS but it still seems awkward, to me. And I've been using Macs on and off for the past 10 years. And 9 out of 10 I want to put my fist through the monitor. I only want to fist my PC 10% of the time. Just saying... :peace!:

you did not read my post did you? Her school only uses pc's

Odd that you are making it sound like Apple is trying to make their OS easier to use. Why is it then that so many of the things you are using in Windows is a copy of the Mac OS? Yeah, another debate but most of the apple innovations are being copied by everyone else. The OS, iphone, ipad, itunes music store. Everyone is playing catch up

There are articles about tablet mfr's delaying production of their units after seeing what apple has up their sleeve. SJ said that pc companies are trying to make the tablet into a pc, instead of it's own niche product and thus failing

Apple no longer does things without a tremendous amount of forethought. The primary reason why the ipod, iphone and ipad are ALL homeruns

WrapperX

As for Your daughter and Macs/PC useage I did miss read it - I apologize.

I will certainly concede that Apple and its IPod, IPad, and its gadgets are all homeruns - they are fun little gadgets with Brilliant marketing and very usable consumer products. And yes all other gadget companines are trying very very hard to keep up with what Apple is producing - However I don't see how Windows is trying to copy Mac OS - I don't see - furthermore I do not wish to change this "on the surface friendly poll" into a debate of Mac vs PC haters duel, which is how it feels to be turning. Maybe much on my part. We shall have to agree to disagree.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
heh - old favorite image I forgot I had.... :Big Laugh

Attachments

• mac-vs-pc-webcam.jpg
    mac-vs-pc-webcam.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 145

Rodi

I'm a traditional mac guy, but the pricing isn't in line with performance these days. I have a nice little gateway it is really powerful has tons of RAM and a nice big harddrive. I also have old mac and old pc. PCs have gotten to the point where, if you are reasonably careful, you can have great power at a great price and run pretty much any program. Macs have some things that are great (very tight intergration) because they build their own (PCs ar all clones) and its one source. Macs have problems too, pricing. They have yet to make a dent in business because of their price point.
I was given a new imac several years ago and it just up and died about 1 year ago. I have had 3 imacs all died in short order. My old G3 is standing strong, though :)

signmeup

I was always wondering:

did Steve Job pulled off a genius (as he is) marketing investment by donating Mac computers to all design schools decades ago?
Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner! We tend to cling to whatever we learn first. It's called Human nature. How many here learned English first and decided "I don't really like English... I'm gonna switch to Russian."?

I'm PC only because I started on a PC. (well, that and I would avoid buying an all in one anything) I have never tried a MAC btw. I did see one from across a room once.

I also think the only real difference between the two is the operating system. (I stand to be corrected) Who makes the CPUs, hard drives, RAM, motherboards....etc? How can the hardware in a Mac be more reliable than the hardware in a PC? It's all made by the same companies. All that's left is the case and the OS.

I also discovered that if you really want to you can run OSX on a IBM clone.

I think this poll should be "Which operating system do you favour?"

VinylLabs.com

I also discovered that if you really want to you can run OSX on a IBM clone.

I think this poll should be "Which operating system do you favour?"

not an ibm clone, an IBM. it will not run on AMD, it requires certian chipset instructions to execute. also helpfull to have SSE2 and SSE3 instructions.

I've installed and run mac on my pc's. I go back to windows now. I don't even have an antivirus program on my PC. I do it because it's cheaper, more customisable, and I can repair it myself with off the self parts. for the same price I get a machine that's twice as fast and has 4 times the storage. I run my internet programs in a virtualbox.

then again, i'm slightly geekier then most pc users ;)