• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Are Projected Signs the future?

Signarama Jockey

What do you think about projected signage?

What do you think? Have you had any experience with these? Would you be interested in trying some out? Do you see a reason why this is a dead end?

Is projected signage the future?

Gettin'By

Looks like an awful expensive stop sign that you have to run a cable to and keep pumping electricity into. If you lose power, you lose signage. So even if people are getting around with headlights or flashlights, hte benefit and purpose of the sign is gone. Never seen one (or heard of them before), and I'm dubious about them.

Signarama Jockey

Looks like an awful expensive stop sign that you have to run a cable to and keep pumping electricity into. If you lose power, you lose signage. So even if people are getting around with headlights or flashlights, hte benefit and purpose of the sign is gone. Never seen one (or heard of them before), and I'm dubious about them.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to rely on these to show me the way to the emergency exits, that's for sure!

But, what about as extra spice to channel letters? What about projecting onto the sidewalk outside of a bar? Las Vegas is probably all over this stuff.

Gettin'By

In those edge cases, maybe. But for general use I just see too many downsides. Do they stay readable when the cameras fog up?

Signarama Jockey

In those edge cases, maybe. But for general use I just see too many downsides. Do they stay readable when the cameras fog up?
I doubt it, but I bet the engineers have thought of something to prevent it. Maybe the unit warms up? Or maybe there are just limitations on outdoor use.

It just looks cool to me. I'd love to work on one of these systems.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I doubt it, but I bet the engineers have thought of something to prevent it. Maybe the unit warms up? Or maybe there are just limitations on outdoor use.

It just looks cool to me. I'd love to work on one of these systems.

That's pretty slick. Wonder if they're using something like 3M Vikuiti - not even sure if they still make the stuff.

This is from 16 years ago, lol:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're gonna trust someone to borrow something like that....... and not break it ??

MikePro

i like the idea of combining it with signage as well, in the form of projection mapping, instead of sweating running power to EVERYTHING you want illuminated or stuffing wiring into thinner&thinner sign profiles.
i'd imagine the outdoor issue being moisture and thermal fluctuations, but those cathedral shows are AMAZING!

newprinterguy

You're gonna trust someone to borrow something like that....... and not break it ??
I think part of the rental would have to be someone from our shop coming to install and set it up/take it down. Id only allow the customer/renter to turn it on and off when needed. But they would still be left alone with it, and if something wasn't working they would probably try to mess around with it. This is true.
Also trying to find a price for this model, I don't think its in their site catalogue yet. It would certainly be a gamble, but wouldnt that be a nice service to offer? It might give us a leg up on local competition and make us look cutting edge.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Biggest issue with lasers is ambient lighting. From dusk till dawn, they work well, and look pretty cool, but for daytime use they're pretty much a no-go, so you lose half your advertising opportunity. I've performed on stages in venues that used lasers to enhance shows, and trust me, you don't want them pointed at people. Every flash in the face takes seconds for eyesight to return to normal, warnings were posted everywhere, even on tickets about risk of seizures if you're prone to them. So you couldn't use them even on walls that have windows, note in the videos how they're programmed to miss them, one programming error, and I imagine you could have some liability to be concerned about. Standard signs work 24/7, lighted and electronic signs, message centers and billboards work 24/7 too as long as the power stays on. I don't see these as a sign replacement, more of a limited use night time novelty system that would probably be best suited to light up blank walls on the Vegas strip at night. But what do I know?

newprinterguy

Thats a very good point, the uses are more limited than they appeared at first. And the liability thing is a huge factor.
Biggest issue with lasers is ambient lighting. From dusk till dawn, they work well, and look pretty cool, but for daytime use they're pretty much a no-go, so you lose half your advertising opportunity. I've performed on stages in venues that used lasers to enhance shows, and trust me, you don't want them pointed at people. Every flash in the face takes seconds for eyesight to return to normal, warnings were posted everywhere, even on tickets about risk of seizures if you're prone to them. So you couldn't use them even on walls that have windows, note in the videos how they're programmed to miss them, one programming error, and I imagine you could have some liability to be concerned about. Standard signs work 24/7, lighted and electronic signs, message centers and billboards work 24/7 too as long as the power stays on. I don't see these as a sign replacement, more of a limited use night time novelty system that would probably be best suited to light up blank walls on the Vegas strip at night. But what do

Signarama Jockey

What do you all think about a shop buying one of these projectors and renting it out for events and short term promo's?
If you have a convention center near you and can get in with event coordinators, you might be able to get a steady stream of business from people who set up booths.

At one point, I was thinking of constructing a generic kiosk display. A simple PVC frame wrapped in fabric with a laptop, a projector and velcro on the sides for the customer's logo. Run a power point presentation or a promotional video on a loop on the laptop, have it project up onto a screen. It wouldn't be state of the art, but if you put some thought into it, it could be easy to put up and take down and serve it's purpose. THAT would be something you could offer customers.

And yeah, just like renting anything, the customer is liable if it gets damaged. It's just a matter of fine print. Or you could offer to put it up and take it down for them, either way, you could make things play out in your favor.

But, yeah, if you could make a strong presentation and somehow let people attending nearby events know you exist, I think you could make that work.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
With all the LED stage backdrops and walls, flexible panels, modular wall panels, etc on the market, you can do anything from portable displays for trade shows, local theater & venue backdrops, to encapsulating an entire building. There's no need to reinvent the wheel to go big and bold.
Just need deep pockets.

What I'd like to see in action are the transparent adhesive LED films. They're rather intriguing.