• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Assembling a wall sign up on the wall

gnubler

I'm bidding out an exterior wall sign measuring 10ft wide x 3ft tall made of dimensional letters/logo attached to boards, framed out and mounted on an unseen backer, and the whole thing fastened to stringers on an exterior wall about 15 feet up. My plan is to assemble it at the shop and transport it in one piece to be installed with two people on a scissor lift. My installer suggested assembling it on the wall piece by piece, manageable for one person. For a wall sign I'd rather design something that can be moved and installed in one go, and also thinking ahead to whoever has to take it down someday.

Has anyone assembled a wall sign onsite and what were the reasons? Location, access, labor shortage, size, weight, etc.

rjssigns

Get as much done at the shop as humanly possible. Too many things can go wrong in a hurry when assembling on site.

Not sure how it works in your area but when pulling a permit for blockage of sidewalks, access points etc... it is for a set amount of time.

Personally I never liked being on site longer than absolutely necessary to do a clean, professional install. Get in, get installed, get gone.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I know this doesn't apply to gnubler but we track in and out time separately to keep our workers comp rates as reasonable as possible, so we definitely try to do as much in the shop as possible. Not to mention what rjssigns brings up with unknown variables. Best to be on and off the jobsite a quick as possible to avoid issues with weather, traffic in and out of the business, etc. And for our customers' benefit, shop rates are lower.

gnubler

Thanks for all the input. I had the same inclination - get in and out of the install as quickly as possible for all the reasons listed.

econolinesigns

Assemble it in your shop, mount a "Z" Bar/French Cleat on it. Do a pattern, install half of the cleat on the building and then install the sign. Fasten it and your done.

gnubler

We've done cleat installs, but only interior. Can you do cleats on the outside of buildings, and is that in addition to fastening through the face?