• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best outdoor materials for dimension & durability

gnubler

I'm working on a project where the customer wants an exterior wall sign with some depth and dimension. They want something with a rustic/farmhouse look, but also durable enough to last for 5+ years without needing maintenance. I did a walk-thru of my downtown area where all the boutique signs are - several of the newer ones are made of wood and they all show signs of either cupping or other deterioration depending on the orientation (west/south facing, etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions using treated wood or a substitute like Trex decking boards or routed HDU? Is Trex too heavy to be used for a wall sign? I've found some sample images online but would like to hear first hand about what materials hold up the longest.

rjssigns

Routed HDU with an embedded steel frame?
This^^^

Or composite(recycled plastic) deck boards. I used those on a large sign in a roundabout a few years back. Not cheap but the ones I used have a 25yr warranty.
Only thing is the cut ends will need to be covered or painted. The deck boards came from Home Depot so I had them color match a sample size of paint. Worked a treat.

gnubler

I read this article from a sign shop in California who used Trex boards for a monument sign. It looks awesome, but would it work for a wall sign? I went to HD to look at some Trex samples, and those boards are frickin' heavy.

Valley+Christian+Fellowship+Menifee+CA+sign+south+side

• Informative
Reactions: 2B

rjssigns

Yup, they have some weight but that shouldn't exclude them from consideration. Just need to engineer the correct mounting system.

Something else to consider is old barn boards. They've done all they're going to do over the last 100 years. I doubt your sign would put them through any more stress.
Could always finish with a matte varnish if you're still concerned about weather.

Just had a harebrained idea. What about LVP flooring? All kinds of rustic looks and it's super thin, super light and easy to work.
Stuff I have in my kitchen is lifetime warranty and has UV protection in the ceramic top layer.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We put a lit letter sign up on a building recently and the installers are pretty sure the fascia was done with something like the Trex boards. I guess it can be used on more than just decks.

Generally speaking when a customer wants a like this, we would use HDU routed and/or sandblasted.

Billct2

Best option for weight/dimension is HDU. Don't know what your capabilities are, but even without a cnc you could make faux wood with common power and hand tools. Then a faux paint finish.
Mount some cast plastic letters on it and you have a nice look. Or you could do the same with trex, just have to have better anchors when fastening.

visual800

you cant go wrong with aluminum and dimesional pvc letters. adding a 1" frame behind it adds more ooomph

Attachments

• 146339400_10221151977221979_515586144882911523_n.jpg
    146339400_10221151977221979_515586144882911523_n.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 131014008_10220736475554697_763635867749275888_n.jpg
    131014008_10220736475554697_763635867749275888_n.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 130865757_10220729829988562_1611554913579336789_n.jpg
    130865757_10220729829988562_1611554913579336789_n.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 128

citysignshop

you cant go wrong with aluminum and dimensional pvc letters. adding a 1" frame behind it adds more ooomph
We once did a large sign with slate floor tiles as the background, pin mounting dimensional letters on the face, I think they were HDU...but could be Gemini letters, routed cut, etc.
As others have said, an 'old' background really ain't gonna age any more! Stone, smalts, rusty iron, concrete!?
or...... Gotta check out what this BC gang does, when a sign.... isn't just a sign!!!!

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
We once did a large sign with slate floor tiles as the background, pin mounting dimensional letters on the face, I think they were HDU...but could be Gemini letters, routed cut, etc.
As others have said, an 'old' background really ain't gonna age any more! Stone, smalts, rusty iron, concrete!?
or...... Gotta check out what this BC gang does, when a sign.... isn't just a sign!!!!
I think the owner of Imagination Corp used to be on here some. They are on another level for sure. It would be great to produce signs of that caliber IF you have the clients to support it.
We usually get the "We want a great sign but can we just get a banner for now. We ran out of budget on our build out".

visual800

I think the owner of Imagination Corp used to be on here some. They are on another level for sure. It would be great to produce signs of that caliber IF you have the clients to support it.
We usually get the "We want a great sign but can we just get a banner for now. We ran out of budget on our build out".

EXACTLY! thats the crap we get more in this town than anything

gnubler

Only thing that would worry me is finding a way to leave a gap for expansion. I think they want you to leave a 1/4" gap around the floor perimeter, don't know how to do that in a horizontal fashion, plus I'd wager any expansion would be magnified outside in the elements. Otherwise it would be great since they have so many styles on the shelf at any given hardware store, and damaged box deals would likely cover a 4x6 or so wall signs still.
I like Johnny's product, but it sounds more expensive than LVP(LVF is what I've always heard)
I've been researching different materials and everything I read says LVP isn't intended for outdoor use. I'm in a cold climate and it could get brittle and crack with expansion.

gnubler

Sounds all too familiar. One of my customers had to sell their herd of cattle to pay for the build out it got so out of control. Luckily I got paid for the signage first, and with cash.