• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attachement Method vs. Sign Weight vs. Environment

dlndesign

Just had a thought, does anyone have a grid of some kind that you would use to determine your use of attachment method vs. the weight of the sign vs. the environment that its being placed into?

It could be just a 1/8" Acrylic letter and you would only use VHB, if its an interior sign.

Or

2" Thick Acrylic, Stud Mounted, on a Exterior Cement Facia.

Just curious, I am thinking of putting one together to help with project management. Thanks!

threeputt

There may be "industry standards" for this sort of thing, but I've never come across them in my 30 years.

dlndesign

I would like to start gathering information

First, what has failed, when have signs fallen off or didn't seal correctly. What was the circumstaces.

Secondly, what has exceeded expectation. Signs that have not moved for 5 years or more.

Any information would be great. thanks.

iSign

sounds like a liability waiting to happen..
send me your notarized copy & we'll run with it :)

dlndesign

Really, joking aside, I really think this is a good idea. This may change depending on your location, but it would be really useful to me and other owners that I work with. Thanks, really any information would be useful.

threeputt

Don't know how to quantify those kinds of factors. Maybe someone with an engineering background.

I think most sign installers simply use the "over-kill" method. As crude as that may sound. Use VHB tape instead of the cheapy foam tape, that kind of thing. When we anchor a sign into a concrete building, I don't tend to think in terms of "what's the shortest stud I can put in", I think in terms of "hey, what if this thing falls down?" "Let's drill a few more holes and be sure".

When I leave a jobsite, I like to think the sign will stay put even in a hurricane. Makes me sleep a little better at night.

dlndesign

Bill, can you link a refrence for that information.

Three, you think? I've been thinking of things I want to do, project after project that I think would be super useful to our trade. But when do you find the time?