• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching PVC Cut letters to Brick

Melissa Harvey

Hi Everyone,

I am doing a sub contract PVC letters/logo install on brick. The sign company I am installing for wants me to use double faced tape and liquid nails. Its a large area and pretty high up. I'm concerned. Anyone use 3m double sided tape on brick before? I'm probably going to have to drive to the site and do a test but I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar. Thanks! Melissa (SignGirl)

Attachments

• Carpenter.jpg
    Carpenter.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 483

unclebun

VHB tape does not stay stuck to brick. It'll stick for a while, then fall off. Maybe a month, maybe a year later. But fall it will. Glue will help. In that case, the VHB tape is just to hold it until the glue sets. But make sure the glue sticks to the PVC.

Melissa Harvey

those are some mighty skinny letters for liquid nails. personally, i would do a stud mount into the brick, or i would adhere to a piece of clear acrylic and then attach that to the wall. double stick tape is kinda useless on brick.
Yeah same thoughts I had. The sign owner left for 3 weeks and said "just install with tape" not the first time I've been left with finding a solution for the installation.

Melissa Harvey

VHB tape does not stay stuck to brick. It'll stick for a while, then fall off. Maybe a month, maybe a year later. But fall it will. Glue will help. In that case, the VHB tape is just to hold it until the glue sets. But make sure the glue sticks to the PVC.
Right, another concern will the glue stick to the PVC.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
if you have to go the route of an adhesive , i would suggest Lexel instead of liquid nails. you're still gonna need some double sided tape or masking tape to hold the letters in place until it sets up, but it would be the best adhesive solution.

Melissa Harvey

if you have to go the route of an adhesive , i would suggest Lexel instead of liquid nails. you're still gonna need some double sided tape or masking tape to hold the letters in place until it sets up, but it would be the best adhesive solution.
Thank you for the knowledge! Appreciate it greatly.

TSC1985

I agree; don't think that is real brick, especially inside. Its either a veneer or a great wall paper print. I think with this being an interior application and low sheer weight letters that tape/lexel/LN would be fine on the veneer but tape would best if its a wallpaper

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree - that doesn't look like real brick. Step one is to get a definitive on what the material is so you can plan accordingly. If it's brick, how smooth is it?

If it's wallpaper, faux material, etc, you'll be fine with tape and Lexel. I would not use silicone and I would definitely not use Liquid Nails.

visual800

I prime all pvc with 2 part epoxy and then use silicone. You have got to prime pvc! Tape is not gonna work, liquid nails is not gonna work.

there are no exceptions

rossmosh

Baffles me as why a manufacturer wouldn't drill for holes while cutting. Putting holes and studs in PVC is stupid easy. Just drill the hole undersized and you can thread the studs right in. Put a dab of something if you want to make it super permanent.

It's one of the major advantages over acrylic, which requires a drill and tap and considering a lot of acrylic is laser cut, it makes it a more involved process.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nothing to do with the OP here, as we don't really know any of the particulars..... but it always fascinates me when people say they're attaching pvc, metal or whatever to a brick wall or drywall or whatever. If you're using VHB tapes, you are attaching the substrate(s) to paper, paint, vinyl or whatever is on top of the wall surface. Isn't that what you should be concerned about ??

Melissa Harvey

Nothing to do with the OP here, as we don't really know any of the particulars..... but it always fascinates me when people say they're attaching pvc, metal or whatever to a brick wall or drywall or whatever. If you're using VHB tapes, you are attaching the substrate(s) to paper, paint, vinyl or whatever is on top of the wall surface. Isn't that what you should be concerned about ??
Yes, I agree. I jumped too fast with my question. I was feeling a bit of a panic over the install (and the sign shop owner leaving for Italy for 3 weeks). I did a site survey yesterday and its a faux brick that is smooth and the VHB tape stuck to it great. I am glad I asked tho. I love hearing what other sign shops have done and what has worked or not worked. I got some great information.

Melissa Harvey

I agree; don't think that is real brick, especially inside. Its either a veneer or a great wall paper print. I think with this being an interior application and low sheer weight letters that tape/lexel/LN would be fine on the veneer but tape would best if its a wallpaper
Thanks for the reply, yeah its not real brick. Did a site survey yesterday and tape stuck really well to it.