• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attention all newbies

Bradster941

I could not even read this cause
I am so drunk but if you haev to put this much thought into some web forum ypu might need to think about getting a girlfriend or something!!! seriously!

11:30 on a Saturday night and your home alone :help

Go Figure...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

cuztumfx

I bought a plotter, Hope to gain some insight here

Hi all
I bought a plotter last year. I was so busy Painting and Airbrushing I am just getting the time to dedicate to learning the machine software.
I want to use it to make some templates, cut out some lettering etc...

I have been Custom Painting and Airbrusing for over 18 years. A guy on line here told me about a Company in Florida to buy my first cutter / plotter from , so I did.

They sent me a program called Klik N Kut . I think its based on something called Sign lab if I understood correctly.

I am just getting the basics, Any help is appreciated. This one has a Mico Stepper, The guy told me its a little better than a regular Stepper Motor. I dont know, At least I can maybe learn on it.

I read the post for Newbies . I am going to get the Book " Mastering Layout the art of eye appeal" by Mike Stevens

The guy who taught me to Airbrush many years ago, Was also a sign painter. He also taught us how to make our own Mahl Stick ( I may not have spelled that correctly ) It is a great tool for balancing your brush while working on painted lettering.

Well, I hope I can ask a few questions here. I want to get this machine Rocking out some letters or negative paint templates for some airbrush designs and maybe be able to make some lettering for my vehicle

Thanks
Cuz

Myte

A very good reminder. Your words are encouraging and inspirational. I'm grateful your here.

rickzan

Although new to this forum I'm not to signs. My competition is making a killing with digital signs that are hard to read. I started with a brush and learned the hard way. Still learning everyday. Good posts:popcorn:

Last edited:

Sign-Man Signs

Been making signs for about 20 years now. To this date, I have not made a sign I am happy with. My point is no matter how good you are, you can always be better. I started with hand painting and advanced to modern day digital printing. I like hand painted signs better but the labor involved is not very profitable. The amount of knowledge I have gained form this site is priceless.
Newbies are just that. Keep doing the best you can and eventually all the small stuff will fall in place. Never be afraid to learn or try something new.
Post your work here and you will receive good and bad reviews. Just the nature of the forum and the professionals that visit here.
Best post I've seen in years. Well done!
:U Rock:

unit29

Hello Everyone i had done some vinyl work some years ago. installing lettering and Printed Media on Different Substrates and vehicles . I was thinking About doing the clear bra Front Wraps . Any feedback Would be Appreciated Thank You .

j.j_cva

I agree with this post 100%! You have to accept the good with the bad, & if you can't then sign making, decals, etc. is not a business you should be getting into. Customers are gonna be hard on you to start with but you should be your biggest critqe if not then your def doing something wrong. We just started messing with vinyl in Jan. We are hoping to eventually be able to start a business, were just not at that level yet. I accept any and all input (good or bad), cuz it can only make me better. We have done work on a cpl race cars & some other vinyl work. I'm sure it could be better so we are gonna strive to make it better... Thank you for the inspiring words!:goodpost:

very well said Sensei... why give up the talent/skill/passion we love doing... :) I won't.. i just have to remember these line too: "stay foolish. stay hungry." ^_~

muffy

Well Your story brought a tear to my eyes. I to have felt a lot of criticism as a musician composer mostly but as low as i have felt walking out of a meeting i have always bounced back. your story inspires me even more to become learn this craft and perhaps have a side income doing something that interests me. Thanks again for this sticky and i am honestly beginning to love this place after one day..

Craig Sjoquist

Signmaniac ..Great post...Thank you...It was interesting, inspiring truth.

What is great to see is others making use of these basic natural design guide lines, that eye & mind see.

Look at this 2 1/2 yrs later this post comes back up as value.

deanb444

Unless it fails, if my customer is happy so am I. There are limits I won't cross when making a sign( no neon colors...it's not the 90's) but the design is always tweaked by the customer. So much so sometimes I know it's too much. I try to gently persuade them back to decent but sometimes "they just want it to be as big as possible".
My pet peeve is when they see your design & ask you to tweak it then ask what you think of their " new sign". If the city says its ok then it's going up. As long as the quality of work is excellent I say let there be ugly signs in the world.

SD&F

No truer words can be spoken.....You get what you pay for. We can all strive to do better and I can't stop myself from looking at every sign I pass.

ezeloCreative

Great post and glad to see it as a sticky!

I am one of those that got a University Degree in design and branding and worked in the advertising for many years before moving into the sign business - you get thick-skinned showing your ideas and the more negative/creative feedback you get, the better you become.

In todays market it seems we all need to be good at production, marketing and design - thank goodness for the internet and sites like Signs 101 to make the learning curve a little easier for everyone.

:clapping:

-sheldon

mezalick

As a new person here I read this and still comet o the same question.
Where would a person learn to desgin signs.
The most common answer I read is , that you are going to do it by yourself.
Or did I miss something in the answers.
Michael

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
As a new person here I read this and still comet o the same question.
Where would a person learn to desgin signs.
The most common answer I read is , that you are going to do it by yourself.
Or did I miss something in the answers.
Michael

Let's face it, the time-proven and most effective way of learning a skilled trade via an apprenticeship is all but history. Your best bet would be to find an old-timer (who is getting ready to retire...or has retired) to show you the ropes. I use the word "old-timer" as a respectful term of endearment since I, myself, am heading into those years.

The fast pace of today's world has changed that learning model drastically, and what is learned on the job is usually limited to a particular segment. So, in order to get a well rounded education, you'll either need to move through the various departments of a larger company or work for a small company where you wear many hats.

If that is not possible, then BE A GOOD OBSERVER. As Yogi Berra put it "You can observe a lot...just by watching".

All you have to do is look around this forum and observe what is going on. Whether you realize it or not, this place is a gold mine of information that is unavailable anywhere else.

SignCraft magazine is also top notch. If you can't afford that, then browse your supermarket and take a good look at the products on the shelves. Nowhere else on earth can you find such a wide variety of themes, elements and ideas for layout and design.

JB