• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery ez rs

HulkSmash

Used it a few times, The stuff simply just sucks.
3M is the choice of professionals.

we're professional, and use Avery.
It all started out with a, im tired of 3M and their crap thing,
then our installers really liked it. so yeah.

Letterbox Mike

Actually just installed a wrap with this same vinyl, didn't even realize it was the LTR stuff until I saw this thread, it prompted me to look at the roll. It's definitely different than the regular EZ RS, bubble city and really hard to get them out. We love the regular EZ RS, but if it's all going to be this new LTR stuff we'll be switching back to 3M, which pains me because the regular 1005EZRS installs soooo much better than 180C.

Mason

There ya have it.

Having worked with all of the big three, (3M, Avery, Oracal) fairly extensively, The only thing that can or should be gleaned from this thread is that comes down to one thing... Personal preference.

I learned on Oracal 3951 (The original without RA) went from using that to using the EZ RS because price was much better. though I found it lousy to work with. Went to 3M and never looked back. < Personal Preference.

Letterbox Mike

Having worked with all of the big three, (3M, Avery, Oracal) fairly extensively, The only thing that can or should be gleaned from this thread is that comes down to one thing... Personal preference.

I learned on Oracal 3951 (The original without RA) went from using that to using the EZ RS because price was much better. though I found it lousy to work with. Went to 3M and never looked back. < Personal Preference.

I learned on 3951RA too, but I can't imagine trying to wrap something with that without the RA adhesive, that stuff is like superglue aggressive.

HulkSmash

I completely Agree. I think 3M makes a GREAT product. We carry all 3. Oracle, Avery and 3M. I'm not sure what you're paying for a roll of 3M, but the difference between 3M and Avery for me is barely noticeable. 70-80 bucks.. no big deal.

The Avery just works so nicely. Sticks much better to contours, IMO.

The biggest thing for me is 3M support. They've lost so many of my support tickets, and from what I've experienced with them, have no interest in helping me, and my issues I've had. Any questions or issues i had with Avery they have always been so helpful, and just overall more professional. You know what got their attention? When i stopped spending over $6300 a month on their 180cv3, and 8518 products. Then and only then did they send over a rep to say hello, and talk about some issues i was having. Still to this day 0 issues resolved.

COOKY

Actually just installed a wrap with this same vinyl, didn't even realize it was the LTR stuff until I saw this thread, it prompted me to look at the roll. It's definitely different than the regular EZ RS, bubble city and really hard to get them out. We love the regular EZ RS, but if it's all going to be this new LTR stuff we'll be switching back to 3M, which pains me because the regular 1005EZRS installs soooo much better than 180C.

In the same boat mate. Pity because I was enjoying the original one.

COOKY

Used it a few times, The stuff simply just sucks.
3M is the choice of professionals.

We are professionals. Not very constructive Mason. I have tried, 3m, Arlon and Oracal. I hated Oracal and Arlon because they were way too agressive for my liking. I also do all my installs on my own so it makes it very hard to drape the vinyl when it is so aggressive.

I am also not a big fan of primer. I would think if the product was up to scratch you would not need it and it would hold down well. I do like how the 3m prints and the lam is nice and glossy.

This is where the old avery came in. I can get a nice clean install with no primer and no failures. As a professional this is what I went with as I felt that it would give my cutsomers the best result. In Australia it is not that much cheaper than 3m so It was not a cost cutting exercise. Just my preference.

However as a professional I will probably make the switch back to 3m as I will always use what I beleive to be the best product for myself and my clients and the new product is not as good for me if it bubbles.

I didn't want this thread to become a 3m vs avery bashing, just some constructive input from fellow users about wether they had noticed a difference in the vinyl.

Thanks again to the guys that have posted helpful information. It has helped me in my decision of what to do going forward.

Cooky

HulkSmash

We are professionals. Not very constructive Mason. I have tried, 3m, Arlon and Oracal. I hated Oracal and Arlon because they were way too agressive for my liking. I also do all my installs on my own so it makes it very hard to drape the vinyl when it is so aggressive.

I am also not a big fan of primer. I would think if the product was up to scratch you would not need it and it would hold down well. I do like how the 3m prints and the lam is nice and glossy.

This is where the old avery came in. I can get a nice clean install with no primer and no failures. As a professional this is what I went with as I felt that it would give my cutsomers the best result. In Australia it is not that much cheaper than 3m so It was not a cost cutting exercise. Just my preference.

However as a professional I will probably make the switch back to 3m as I will always use what I beleive to be the best product for myself and my clients and the new product is not as good for me if it bubbles.

I didn't want this thread to become a 3m vs avery bashing, just some constructive input from fellow users about wether they had noticed a difference in the vinyl.

Thanks again to the guys that have posted helpful information. It has helped me in my decision of what to do going forward.

Cooky

I agree, hate Arlon. Oracle we can deal with, but still think it's much too aggressive. I always have profile issues with oracle too.. i'm not sure why...

Custom_Grafx

Just opened 2 rolls of avery cast lam that has a splice about 5 and 8 yards through it.....

Did this ruin your print job? I'm guessing yes.

I'm curious... in this situation, I know Avery will most likely give you a replacement roll of lam, but will they compensate you for the time it took you to print the now useless print, and the material it was printed on, as well as ink?

Has anyone else had this experience with any brand? I recently had a similar situation with 3M... it wasn't spliced, but had severe pressure marks which led to the job being rejected. I only got a replacement roll of lam. I lost a few hours in time, and quite a lot of money in ink. It was solid dark... around 5sqm.

Letterbox Mike

A splice on laminate?
Only Avery... :corndog:

That would look real nice at 19ft. on a 20 ft. print.

I've had several rolls of 3M cast lam with splices in the past. None in the last 2 years or so so they seemed to have fixed that issue, but it was freaking annoying. At least with Avery they put little tabs in it that stick out of the roll so you know where they are, the splices we were having in 3M weren't marked...

HulkSmash

I just realized we did have a roll of the LTR printed on it, without noticing, and installed it. After we installed it my production guys told me that it was indeed LTR... and it installed perfectly. weird..........

Last edited: