• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Failures Return

neil_se

Ditto RJPW, we've been using a few rolls of 2923EA each week since it was released and it's a stellar product for general use with the DOL2000 laminate. The 180CV3 is the only 3M product we use and it's been going well for the past few months since we had to ditch the Avery 1005.

ams

This is a little bit off the topic but I agree that Avery is going to ****... we just had a large job with Avery etch mark (around 7,000sqft) in a cut pattern and went to mask it... mask just falls off when you pick up the sheet... thought the mask was no good... tried different masks... still nothing (tried 3M SCPS-55 high tack & transferite 9920 high tack) finally after our distributor argued with Avery they finally came out and admitted that they put some sort of top coat on so that the material can run through there machines and that's why the mask won't stick and to get rid of it try and wipe the face with ISO.... well wouldn't ya know it... ISO did the trick and them ask stuck... why the hell would a company put a coat on that would prevent mask from adhering when you know that's what people will be doing with it??? Still fighting to get a partial refund as the extra time and added costs in wiping every sheet was ridiculous!

We definitely will be avoiding all Avery products from now on.. if they're spec'd and don't want an alt you're paying a premium!

Chaz

That is what happened to me with the Avery MPI2050 translucent, it had a powder feel to it and after laminating, the laminate fell off the sign. Avery tech said it has a top coat and told me that you don't need to laminate translucent.

mark-s

saw this sign the other day and thought of this posting.

mark-s

Attachments

• 1-1 C.jpg
    1-1 C.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 317

HulkSmash

This is a little bit off the topic but I agree that Avery is going to ****... we just had a large job with Avery etch mark (around 7,000sqft) in a cut pattern and went to mask it... mask just falls off when you pick up the sheet... thought the mask was no good... tried different masks... still nothing (tried 3M SCPS-55 high tack & transferite 9920 high tack) finally after our distributor argued with Avery they finally came out and admitted that they put some sort of top coat on so that the material can run through there machines and that's why the mask won't stick and to get rid of it try and wipe the face with ISO.... well wouldn't ya know it... ISO did the trick and them ask stuck... why the hell would a company put a coat on that would prevent mask from adhering when you know that's what people will be doing with it??? Still fighting to get a partial refund as the extra time and added costs in wiping every sheet was ridiculous!

We definitely will be avoiding all Avery products from now on.. if they're spec'd and don't want an alt you're paying a premium!

Chaz

Jeez Chaz, that sucks. I'd be livid. Hope you get that sorted out.

Prism1

I'm curious to hear how things are going with Avery Colorado. We have been using it exclusively here for the past 3 years, and have not had Any material problems. Some wraps we did 5-7 years ago in Avery look as good or better than the 3M180 ones we did in the same time period.

Bly

A bit off topic but Avery are bringing out a new wrap vinyl with a non pvc lam shortly.
Not too sure of the details but we played with it a bit at a workshop last week.
Only needs to be post heated to 70 deg C, better printability with latex.

Milestone

Avery Printing Failure

I was a fool for giving them a try 2 years ago. We used Avery for about 2-3 months because of some disagreements with 3M. THANK GOD we stopped using because of CONSTANT contaminated rolls.

We used their new vinyl - now everything done in Avery 1.5 years later looks like it has caught on fire. I mean I literally did a fleet of 6 vehicles, 2 done in Avery 4 in 3M. the 2 Avery ones are literally cracked, brown, and just disgusting. the 3M looks pretty much like the day we installed it. Lucky for us we didn't do hundreds of vehicles with it, just a few dozen.

And in December we had to do a fleet spec'd in Avery SW Blue. Good God. It was literally the most garbage material ever. I had to spend $250 on surgical scalpels because nothing else would cut it without it stretching and causing jagged cuts. The material is literal Garbage.

Anyone using the "New and improved" Avery wrap vinyl do yourself a favor and stop before it destroys your business and reputation. I have claims in, let's see if avery steps up this time - for their sake i really hope they do.

Everyone here knows i can really start a movement. And I'm pretty pissed off.

Attached are examples of Avery failures.
I just opened a brand new box of Avery MP-1005 EZ- Super Cast wrapping vinyl, and have tried 12 different ICC profiles, including the ones from Avery direct, and the results are cloudy and terrible! Printed the same file on intermediate vinyl and came out flawless! My machine is one month old and NEVER had a problem until using 1005. Was originally gong to buy 3M and was talked into Avery from my supplier!!!! Got a message from a tech. stating that my roll must be bad and it happens??? !!!!!!

Milestone

We get very hot and very cold as well.

Avery is all i've been using for quite a few years now. Never seen that kind of failure. (no failures at all actually).

I am using MPI 1005 with Dol 1060 lam. Printing with Roland Ecosol Max inks.
What ICC profile are you using? Versaworks?

nate

I just opened a brand new box of Avery MP-1005 EZ- Super Cast wrapping vinyl, and have tried 12 different ICC profiles, including the ones from Avery direct, and the results are cloudy and terrible! Printed the same file on intermediate vinyl and came out flawless! My machine is one month old and NEVER had a problem until using 1005. Was originally gong to buy 3M and was talked into Avery from my supplier!!!! Got a message from a tech. stating that my roll must be bad and it happens??? !!!!!!

Latex printer?

nate

Roland EccoSolvant printer

That's interesting. We usually find a roll of MPI 1005 doesn't work well with latex as the plasticizers have migrated to the top level (same with banner sometime), but that same roll run through a solvent machine or UV machine doesn't show the trouble.