• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AVERY Vinyl FAILURE

signsofparadise

Having heard of the Avery disasters here and on the web, I thought we had dodged the bullet. This spring one of our main customers called and thought there was a problem with (2) of their trucks. It turned out that there were (5) involved.

I was unaware that Avery discontinued payment of labor to de-identify the failed Avery material and remove glue residue, re-cut material and apply to vehicle(s). The process took (30 - 35) man hours per vehicle, most of the month of August. We received barely enough material to reprocess them (which I'm sure cost them roughly .20 to .25 cents on the dollar if that). This was applied as a credit through there vendor. Having used Avery vinyl for almost 25 years, we had minor failures, which we took care of in house.

I was told that its company policy now and they no longer pay for the labor. I wished I had known, I would have had the customer take it to them to re-do for nothing and leave me out of it.

This all started in early April, to date I have not received any reason for the failure from Avery sales staff, nor any response that the problem has been resolved.

I have suggested for legal reasons that they re-code the (9) year (colored) and or (10) year (white, and black) vinyl, which has always been referred to as A-9 to either A-1 or A-2 to correlate with the proven longevity of the material in the field.

Due to this matter I have had to implement "new" company policies. The first one is: No one from my company is to purchase any material manufactured by Avery Graphics, unless it is absolutely necessary and there is no other way to complete the project.

Until this incident, and the way it was handled, I had paid very little attention to the other materials available to us. We have been using "Vector" vinyl and "Niko-Lite" vinyl for the past (4) months and so far we are very satisfied with the results. They both cut & weed very well, and the application was satisfactory; both are cheaper than "Avery".

I hope this helps others eliminate future problems that may arise due to their use of Avery product(s).

Live and Learn

ProWraps

i have to tell you this, but if you have a failure from ANY company, your experience if your lucky will be as it was with Avery.

and trust me, the quality of all the big vendors has gone down as of late. 3M is no exception. i buy miles of it, and the things i find under the media, in the media, on top of the media are unreal.

the fact that you got a vendor to even replace the material is amazing in itself.

andy

Exactly.

We've used Hexis for 15+ years.... I have absolutely no idea how they handle material failure because they've been sneaky and never supplied sub standard material.. the rotters :)

Back in the day we used to get through miles of vinyl every month..... with hundreds of thousands of metres cut and applied over the years the material failure rate was exactly 0.00%... it just never happens with Hexis vinyl.

Jillbeans

Haven't used Avery since I had to re-do a SignGold window (their black vinyl failed under the SignGold) and I was compensated $14.
They suck.
Was accidentally shipped some reflective striping which failed after 1 week, at least two years after the big fiasco.
The only material with which I have never had a problem in 12 years is Calon II by Arlon.
Love....Jill

Dave Drane

Haven't used Avery since I had to re-do a SignGold window (their black vinyl failed under the SignGold) and I was compensated $14.
They suck.
Was accidentally shipped some reflective striping which failed after 1 week, at least two years after the big fiasco.
The only material with which I have never had a problem in 12 years is Calon II by Arlon.
Love....Jill

The material I use along with 3M

striper14

Since they started bringing in European Avery products I haven't had a problem except that some of the 700 colors are too transparent but before that the US Avery was woeful.
The Universal Products vinyl which is Avery with a different adhesive supposedly, seems to work well but I've only used stuff thats been converted to pinstripes
I like polymeric Oracal, its opaque which is good but some colors whiten up which is bad
I like the aggressiveness of 3M vinyl & its reliability. I just wish the backing paper didn't melt so fast when wet. 3M is such a strange company. 3M Australia is discontinuing colors because 3M US now insists on a minimum number of logs per color
I only give a 12 month warranty. The suns too vicious for anything more