• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AVG ANTI VIRUS Firewall Software DON'T PAY 4 IT!

S

SignTech

No matter what the brand of AV software, I've removed viruses from machines that were running it. In short -- sometimes it doesn't matter which AV you choose. Once a virus gets a foothold, the virus can disable your protection and download updates / variants to further infect your machine. By the time you're aware it's happened, your poor AV has no chance. Attempting a clean in safe mode may improve your chances but it's never a guarantee there either.

Some malware, like Smitfraud, can be particularly tough to remove. I frequently have to do the first round of cleaning with the hard drive attached to another machine, both with automated scanners and then manual deletion of bad files / directories.

We do flat-rate $40 virus removal and it's a steady stream of customers every day! In the past 10+ years as an IT guy, I have never found a virus I couldn't remove. Shops that say a format / reinstall is required just aren't trying hard enough.

Well then get over here and get it fixed LOL!

S

SignTech

UPDATE:

I removed AVG and downloaded Kaspersky the trial version and I am running it now.

So far it is "screaming" (Literally) with all it's findings and has already removed viruses that AVG did not touch. And no more pop ups and it's not done yet and they have a phone number attached with the company ... so far so good.

Techman

If S& D removed it. it likely got an older variant. But I can just about guarantee it didn't get it all. You have to empty the complete TEMP folder not just the internet /content folder.
I have a machine here now with a newer variant of smitfraud and I'm am still looking for the tap root.

Shops that say a format / reinstall is required just aren't trying hard enough.

I totally agree with this one. I have yet to do a complete format/reinstall over a virus. In fact I have yet to do a complete format C: for just about any software problem in years.

S

SignTech

2nd UPDATE:

Just finished full Kaspersky software run. Killed a whole bunch of nasty stuff and quarantined other issues that AVG did not ...... no pop ups and things are running better! Let's hope it lasts ... thanks everyone ....... Mike

Sabre

From a technician side of things... How hard should a person try to dump 3 or 4 different viruses and punt out a plethora of malware infestations to clean a system back to it's outdated original state. I do see what you're saying that it's "always possible", but rather than soak up too much time, I do the guy a favour (with permission) and back everything up and reformat using latest drivers/updates/etc. Very rarely has the customer lost something irreversible and more often than not their ecstatic with their rig feeling as snappy as when it was new.

I'm all for being lazy :D

WVB

I have used Avast! along with Spybot Search & Destroy and Zone Alarm Pro for years now with the best of operation to date...

John M

From a technician side of things... How hard should a person try to dump 3 or 4 different viruses and punt out a plethora of malware infestations to clean a system back to it's outdated original state. I do see what you're saying that it's "always possible", but rather than soak up too much time, I do the guy a favour (with permission) and back everything up and reformat using latest drivers/updates/etc. Very rarely has the customer lost something irreversible and more often than not their ecstatic with their rig feeling as snappy as when it was new.

I'm all for being lazy :D

A full fresh install including all drivers and patches can take a few hours between the downloads and installation time.

The biggest reason customers don't like a full wipe is because they have to reinstall every program. Data files are easy to back up & restore but it's all the little programs they've accumulated over the years that make it a huge task to put back. You don't know how often I hear "But I don't know where my Office disk is anymore!" or "I need a program to play DVDs."

Most of the time involved in virus removal is just waiting on a tool to run. That's why I can offer it for a flat $40 -- I can fire up 5 or 6 machines at a time, spending only a few minutes actually in front of each one.

Techman

How hard should a person try to dump 3 or 4 different viruses and punt out a plethora of malware infestations to clean a system back to it's outdated original state

Often as stated above you can clean a machine using software tools. There is no need to do a complete wipe. I have a win 98se machine that has never had a reformat/reinstall. ITs amost 7 yrs old.

Replicator

I use HijackThis!

to find deep hidden CRAP hiding within my system,

between that and adaware and AVG FREE . . .

All is good !

Sabre

Perhaps I'm giving up too easily? I'm fine with that, bottom line is my time doing it the most economical way possible unless otherwise requested.

I don't applaud a 7 year old 98 box that's never needed a reformat in the hands of a technician. You give it to my mother-in-law and it'll need a some heavy duty work by Tuesday. :)

ScottyDoo

eah the smitfraud is a bitch and is nearly impossible to remove without a 30-40 step process. My IT guy could not handle it.

Should get a new IT guy then =)

I just successfully got rid of smitfraud on a machine here. Spybot detected it, but would not remove it. It was a fun one to get rid of, but only took about 30 minutes total. Was definitely more tricky than your average.