• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AVG ANTI VIRUS Firewall Software DON'T PAY 4 IT!

S

SignTech

I am sure there will be many that disagree and that's fine.

I downloaded AVG and paid for it about a month ago after getting hit with viruses and pop up etc ... I am usually extremely careful but I got hit.

AVG was recommended as well as many other software to help resolve the problem. The only one software that really works is Ad Aware and Spy Bot.

That said ... I paid for AVG because of its live interception of pop ups, firewall etc ... supposed to be so great. It found adware, viruses etc ... it could NOT get rid of smitfraud virus, or basic trojan horse in windows system ... other products could ... except smitfraud virus.

In any event, I tried contacting customer service via telephone since I am a paying customer ....... there is none ... via telephone. You have to send emails. Fine, I sent a descriptive email. **See the response below**

I am not performing a 12 step process so they can review what their software should be able to transmit in today's technology especially since I am a paying customer and am not using the FREE version. In addition the support tech response is overseas.

I am asking for a refund which I am sure I will not get. I asked several times to have a rep contact me via telephone. Nothing!

So if you are into hours of emails being sent back and forth with 10-20 steps to get support then this software may be for you. If not use discretion using this product and at the very least don't pay for it.

Mike

Notice how it states Dear Sir/Madame and not addressed to a name clearly stated by me ........ this is a blanket response email ...... another words junk in my world.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

We would like to inform you that technical support over phone is not
available at the moment. However, we will do our best to address your
query as promptly and effectively as possible via e-mail.

In order to enable us to analyze the situation we would kindly ask you
to proceed as follows:

1. Scan your computer with AVG and send us the test results:
- Run AVG Test Center (Start menu -> All Programs -> AVG 7.5 or launch
it by the button in AVG Control Center) and press F4 to run the
Complete test.
- When it finishes, in AVG Test Center choose "Test Results" from the
"Results" menu (you can also use the F6 key to get the same).
- In the list of finished tests that is displayed, double click the
latest one (by date) and you will get the full list of detected
viruses (if there were any) including the path, name and status of the
infected object.
- When it is opened, go back to main AVG Test Center screen ->
"Program" menu -> "Export List to File" item (or in the "Test Results"
screen you can use Ctrl+S shortcut to get "Save as..." option).
- Send us this created file for further analysis please.

2. Please provide us with AVG Event History Log export. To do this,
please open AVG Control Center, go to the "Service" menu and choose
"Event History Log". Now click the "Export Log" button and save the
"history.xml" file to a folder on your hard disk (e.g. My Documents or
Desktop).

3. Send us an output of the Autoruns application so that we can check
your system for suspicious running processes this way:
- Save the attached "avgproci.zip" archive to your disk.
- Extract all files from this archive to a newly created folder (e.g.
C:\Autoruns).
- Then please download the Autoruns utility from this webpage:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/Autoruns.mspx
- Select to save it onto your disk and then please extract it also to
the above mentioned folder.
- Run the "avgproci.bat" file.
- After that you will see the "avgproci.txt" file created in the same
folder, so please send it to us for analysis.

Thank you for your cooperation, it is appreciated.

Answers to the most common questions can be found here as well:
http://www.avg.com/faq/

Best regards,

Ana Yordanova
AVG Technical Support

MrKoob

Oh, that's easy, I can't possibly see what problems one could have with that. NOT! Wow, I use the free AVG Virus Scanner. Looks like I may begin to consider the paid-for Avast version (but then again, they may be the same way)

jiarby

I use the free AVG antivirus, but not the paid products or the Firewall/Security stuff.

I will try AVAST on my next machine.

I use AdAware, Spybot S&D, and ccleaner, along with the google toolbar (for popups)

There is no magic software condom you can put on that will protect you. You have to be cautious as a user to not click on anything that you don't know what it is. Always close windows with the X in the corner (or rt-clk-close) NOT the button in the window that says CLOSE.

high impact

Mike,

There will be those who disagree with me as well but here goes...

AVG is good for being "free" - better then the alternative. It also allowed a virus through on one of my work stations at the shop. Who knows where the someone had been and what they downloaded???

I use exclusively Computer Associates now, it kicks butt and takes prisoners! ;-) I run spy bot search and destroy maybe once every three months now and it hardly turns up anything.

Good luck with your smit fraud.

I got that one a couple of years ago opening an e card and had to wipe out the computer to clean it off. It was nasty. (I don't even open them now when I know who sent them)

high impact

I just figured it out!!!!

Did these funny pop ups start after you found that picture in your avatar? Or is that a self portrait? hehehe

S

SignTech

Mike,

There will be those who disagree with me as well but here goes...

AVG is good for being "free" - better then the alternative. It also allowed a virus through on one of my work stations at the shop. Who knows where the someone had been and what they downloaded???

I use exclusively Computer Associates now, it kicks butt and takes prisoners! ;-) I run spy bot search and destroy maybe once every three months now and it hardly turns up anything.

Good luck with your smit fraud.

I got that one a couple of years ago opening an e card and had to wipe out the computer to clean it off. It was nasty. (I don't even open them now when I know who sent them)

Hey back ........... yeah the smitfraud is a bitch and is nearly impossible to remove without a 30-40 step process. My IT guy could not handle it. So I am backing up all my customer file and will have to wipe the HD. Thanks for your support on AVG ... it found 4 viruses and could NOT heal them or even quarantine them ......... it was amazing. Anyway what is computer associates? sounds good ......... let me know thanks.

And by the way ... I have been working out ......... do I look better?

Mike

high impact

My IT guy recommended this to me and it has been awesome. I've got 6 computers on it.

http://shop.ca.com/

Stink! I just realized that is less then I paid a year ago!

No comment on the picture of santa. All I can say is I haven't been using my bowflex and it shows! ;-p

Sabre

I've heard good things about AVG's spyware software, but don't trust it at all for my Antivirus. Kaspersky is actually my new favourite, now that I've came to my senses on just how bloated Norton is (Still great protection). Kaspersky is excellent virus protection with extremely small (but often) definition updates. You can go to their site and download a free 1 month trial to take it for a spin.

I'm not out to hurt anyone's feelings.. but in my experience the people that think the free Antivirus are the best ones, are usually the people that need the best virus protection available which are never free.

Gimp is great, and its free... but it's not Photoshop. The best stuff is never free. If you could have the best for ~$40, why wouldn't you?

Sabre

I went and snagged a review from PC World since nobody has heard of Kaspersky. I was also quite skeptical when it was originally pitched to me. I can honestly say I have it installed on all 4 of my home machines and all 6 machines here at work.

Techman

it could NOT get rid of smitfraud virus, or basic trojan horse in windows system

Smitfraud is almost impossible to remove. It is a polymorphic in nature problem and is also changed by each user.

AVG and AVAST and kaperski are at the top of the list. Most of the multi protection suits are near the middle of the lists.

If we do not accept emails with cyber cards in them we will avoid smitfraud as well. That is in most cases how Smitfraud gets into your machine. If you are using a firewall it should have alerted you to a modification installer operating too. Once allowed into tyhe machine it takes just a second or two to download the payload and then attack. It becomes popup hell.
That is why every one needs a two way firewall.

As far as the other anti virus packs,, they all are vulnerable to the changing smitfraud profiles. However lately the mutations are nearly all documented.

I have worked on at least 11 other machines with smitfraud which has to be manually removed because the online removers do not get it all in many cases. And even then two came back because of the mutated code. The person who wrote this one should have his/her butt smeared with peanut butter and tied to a fire ant nest.

gabagoo

Smitfraud is almost impossible to remove. It is a polymorphic in nature problem and is also changed by each user.

AVG and AVAST and kaperski are at the top of the list. Most of the multi protection suits are near the middle of the lists.

If we do not accept emails with cyber cards in them we will avoid smitfraud as well. That is in most cases how Smitfraud gets into your machine. If you are using a firewall it should have alerted you to a modification installer operating too. Once allowed into tyhe machine it takes just a second or two to download the payload and then attack. It becomes popup hell.
That is why every one needs a two way firewall.

As far as the other anti virus packs,, they all are vulnerable to the changing smitfraud profiles. However lately the mutations are nearly all documented.

I have worked on at least 11 other machines with smitfraud which has to be manually removed because the online removers do not get it all in many cases. And even then two came back because of the mutated code. The person who wrote this one should have his/her butt smeared with peanut butter and tied to a fire ant nest.

Tell me more about cyber cards. I have never heard of them or have seen them and just never heard the term? I run AVG and everything seems ok.

S

SignTech

The person who wrote this one should have his/her butt smeared with peanut butter and tied to a fire ant nest.

I am thinking more in lines with criminal prosecution. If a person walked into our shops and hit our computers with a sledge hammer causing criminal mischief ... what's the difference?

There should be much better laws regarding this crap.

Thanks for the response. ~M

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i've been using avg for almost two years now, and have never had a problem....i started out with the free versions and bought the full version last year when i got my new pc....and as far as the overseas support....they are based out of germany...i know this because my bank called as soon as i paid for the subscription to verify that i had actually done it....

i haven't been there in awhile, but i'm pretty sure the website even has a german language link...

slipperyfrog

I have used Symantec Corporate for a number of years and it has served me very well. Switching to the Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 soon.

John M

No matter what the brand of AV software, I've removed viruses from machines that were running it. In short -- sometimes it doesn't matter which AV you choose. Once a virus gets a foothold, the virus can disable your protection and download updates / variants to further infect your machine. By the time you're aware it's happened, your poor AV has no chance. Attempting a clean in safe mode may improve your chances but it's never a guarantee there either.

Some malware, like Smitfraud, can be particularly tough to remove. I frequently have to do the first round of cleaning with the hard drive attached to another machine, both with automated scanners and then manual deletion of bad files / directories.

We do flat-rate $40 virus removal and it's a steady stream of customers every day! In the past 10+ years as an IT guy, I have never found a virus I couldn't remove. Shops that say a format / reinstall is required just aren't trying hard enough.