• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back-ordered materials- what are you having trouble finding?

mim

0_o
I'm trying to plan in advance for what materials are taking a long time to arrive, as I'm sure everyone else is as well. We have run into some issues with vinyl, masking, materials etc. Aside from some standard colors we usually order the vinyl as soon as the job is in the initial steps of production but it's become hard to meet deadlines because of back-ordering or unexpected delays. I understand why and that's alright, I just figure that if there's known shortages on certain materials that we can be more on the lookout from right when the job comes in rather than after it's in the hands of the production department, aka me ;)

I hope that we can share what issues we've run into with ordering. Right now we are stressing to find paint mask, Arlon dark blue 48", 30" brilliant green, magnet, lexan and more that aren't coming to mind at the moment, but I will keep this updated if it's helpful to anybody else :)

I am in the New England area and we usually use Grimco and Nepco but we have been branching out.

Thanks!

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
3mm / 6mm PVC of any brand, at the moment there is only 1 company we can get it from here. Also as per FireSprints post the other day magnets, when I saw that I ordered double what we normally order as we are going through that like hot cakes and sure enough 2 week back order on it.

petepaz

for us it's been random as well but probably the most common are cast vinyls. we did have some issues with acrylics and poly carbonates but that seems to have gotten back to normal

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
3mm / 6mm PVC of any brand, at the moment there is only 1 company we can get it from here. Also as per FireSprints post the other day magnets, when I saw that I ordered double what we normally order as we are going through that like hot cakes and sure enough 2 week back order on it.

Have you tried major plastics companies like Laird or Polymershapes for PVC?

jfiscus

Rap Master
It seems to come in waves. Had issues getting a lot of materials the past few months but have always managed to get it, especially if you were able to buy 10-20 rolls at a time. Right now our issue is 3M cast laminates. Haven't had an order for a couple months for magnets, but hear they're unavailable from suppliers.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I'm not getting this.....you mean .030? I can buy 100 rolls from Grimco right now and get it in 3 days.
Magnum is 12 weeks out on POs. The major producer in Vietnam is shut down. (these are separate issues)

Grimco may have some now, but that supply isbt back filling hardly at all.

As far as pvc, 3A has had a hell of a time keeping up.

You might be insulated from the manufacturers by your local branch supply, but buying from the manufacturers as we do has gotten quite challenging for magnetic and pvc. Not impossible, just waaay more difficult.

T Nichols

I'm trying to plan in advance for what materials are taking a long time to arrive, as I'm sure everyone else is as well. We have run into some issues with vinyl, masking, materials etc. Aside from some standard colors we usually order the vinyl as soon as the job is in the initial steps of production but it's become hard to meet deadlines because of back-ordering or unexpected delays. I understand why and that's alright, I just figure that if there's known shortages on certain materials that we can be more on the lookout from right when the job comes in rather than after it's in the hands of the production department, aka me ;)

I hope that we can share what issues we've run into with ordering. Right now we are stressing to find paint mask, Arlon dark blue 48", 30" brilliant green, magnet, lexan and more that aren't coming to mind at the moment, but I will keep this updated if it's helpful to anybody else :)

I am in the New England area and we usually use Grimco and Nepco but we have been branching out.

Thanks!
Adhesive backed foam cores. Pretty much only getting the high end expensive stuff around here.

Asuma01

Black Perf for backlit channels.
Same here. There is no ETA. We ended up printing our own black perf pattern on clear print media. Its not a perfect solution but was good enough to get by for most of our projects.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream

got e mails from a few of my wholesalers saying the same thing - Stouse ,for one ,said no more mag. until further notice
couldn't even find mag. material for the edge or FX the other day

Billct2

Seems really random, and it's usually whatever I happen to need for a deadline. We also had supplies held up by the storm at a Fedex depot in New Jersey.

mjames

Premium Subscriber
Magnum is 12 weeks out on POs. The major producer in Vietnam is shut down. (these are separate issues)

Grimco may have some now, but that supply isbt back filling hardly at all.

As far as pvc, 3A has had a hell of a time keeping up.

You might be insulated from the manufacturers by your local branch supply, but buying from the manufacturers as we do has gotten quite challenging for magnetic and pvc. Not impossible, just waaay more difficult.
This is what happens when so much is produced outside of the U.S. I contend with so very high U.S. and local taxes on our businesses cause much of this.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I ordered some shirts last Monday due for Friday...of course shipping was delayed and they arrived one hour before my son's football game at 6pm Friday night. They did not get done. Rush orders are no longer...unless you have the items in stock. Many cast rolls are being direct shipped now which is 2 weeks vs. 2 days.