• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backcut Decals

Jen Goodwin

Has anyone been using the backcut decal method with the Edge? I have a GS15plus plotter and I have been trying to find the sweet spot for 2 hours now to get these to work and so far no luck. When I get it to work on just a test piece, it cuts all the way through (or not enough) when I put the actual print through. So far, I am just wasting material.
Just wondering if anyone has done this successfully yet, as I have 500 decals to cut apart.

signage

Yes but I have an envision! I also purchased a new blade holder so I do not have to keep adjusting and readjusting!

Jen Goodwin

Do they cut clean so when you pop them apart, they are clean edged? I want to know if the end results are worth the headache I have been going through so far today - because if I can make this work, I will use it endlessly!

signage

If you get it adjusted to work with the crack and peal then the cut works fine! It isn't easy to do with one blade holder, due to constantly changing the depth!

Tim Aucoin

If you get it adjusted to work with the crack and peal then the cut works fine! It isn't easy to do with one blade holder, due to constantly changing the depth!

That's great advice regarding a second blade holder Brian... thanks! Also, if you have the latest version of Omega (I believe it's 4.0), they've built in back-cutting/slitting into the software. The only tough part is still lining up the target on the back. I haven't used it yet, but I think I'll get a second blade holder on order and give it a shot. :thumb:

Jen Goodwin

Hi Matt!! :) I did read the Gerber info, I have the setup down - it's just getting the backing sheet to cut right. I do have two blade holders, so that has helped quite a bit. I think I had my blade exposed too much for the backcut, so I turned it down and tried again with better luck - I have it now so you can barely feel it. I still need to tweak the pressure again just a bit to find the perfect spot. I had to stop and print positives, so I had to quit for a bit, but ready to try again now. Wish me luck!
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Tony Teveris

Make sure the cutter is in "drag knife" mode and your knife should have a shoe. The tip of the knife should just be beyond the shoe.

Jen Goodwin

Okay...tried again with the shop closed, no phones ringing and The Black Keys turned up and got it to cut like buttah!! :)
This is going to be a cool feature. Now to try with the real print job. Phew, hope it works!
I was using my swivel knife, Tony, but I have to admit, I had to search for it this afternoon - I have never used it once since I bought this plotter. ;)