• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backing reflective with ControlTac

TeamOutlaw

We do quite a few vehicles for the local police departments. They were sticker-shocked the last couple times they had to hire us to remove all the reflective films from vehicles they were taking out of service. So, they decided to save some $ and remove the graphics themselves. 2 days later, fingertip skin missing and frustration levels high...they came back and said "No wonder you guys get paid what you do to remove that crap!" Lol

Got me thinking...is there any reason we couldn't back the graphics with 3M ControlTac!? Lay down a base of IJ180, apply the reflective film over it and in theory be MUCH easier to remove a few years down the road when the squad car is traded off!?

Anyone done something like this? Is there any reason it wouldn't work!? TIA

Last edited:

letterman7

Or, just use RA reflective. You could put down 180 and overlay it, but there will be a difference in shrink rates which could screw up the graphic.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've heard of other people doing this, but with die-cut only. If you're digitally printing it, laminating it and then adding still another layer of vinyl underneath it all, that stuff is gonna be kinda think and hard to run through a car wash, soon without it lifting. Try to talk them into letting the place who takes the trade-in, do it. Otherwise, invest in a zapper machine. They're great.

TeamOutlaw

I've heard of other people doing this, but with die-cut only. If you're digitally printing it, laminating it and then adding still another layer of vinyl underneath it all, that stuff is gonna be kinda think and hard to run through a car wash, soon without it lifting. Try to talk them into letting the place who takes the trade-in, do it. Otherwise, invest in a zapper machine. They're great.
They HAVE to remove the graphics before turning them back into the state motor pool so that some knucklehead can't "imitate an officer" in their recently purchased used Ford Interceptor.

We have been digitally printing the reflective, so you're right...there would be some layers to be concerned with / shrinkage.

We've used the Zapper eraser wheels in the past. But it's not hard to chew through a couple of them on a car and still take hours to do so.

NP_18

We use 3M680CR for all emergency vehicle printed graphics and striping. May cost a little more up front, but it makes installs and removals a lot easier.

TeamOutlaw

We use 3M680CR for all emergency vehicle printed graphics and striping. May cost a little more up front, but it makes installs and removals a lot easier.
So it DOES remove easier than "normal" reflective? I know it's easier to install. We literally get pieces the size of a quarter when removing the other crap.

NP_18

With a little help from a heat gun we've had good success removing it. Just go back with some alcohol to get whatever adhesive is left after the vinyl is gone. I even recently pulled off a section of 680cr about 2'x2' all in one piece that had been on our shop floor for over a year.

So it DOES remove easier than "normal" reflective? I know it's easier to install. We literally get pieces the size of a quarter when removing the other crap.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We do quite a few vehicles for the local police departments. They were sticker-shocked the last couple times they had to hire us to remove all the reflective films from vehicles they were taking out of service. So, they decided to save some $ and remove the graphics themselves. 2 days later, fingertip skin missing and frustration levels high...they came back and said "No wonder you guys get paid what you do to remove that crap!" Lol

Got me thinking...is there any reason we couldn't back the graphics with 3M ControlTac!? Lay down a base of IJ180, apply the reflective film over it and in theory be MUCH easier to remove a few years down the road when the squad car is traded off!?

Anyone done something like this? Is there any reason it wouldn't work!? TIA
We used to laminate prismatic to 1105 with no issues for vehicles, now we are using the new V4000

MikePro

layering vinyl is ok, but highly recommended you build-up in terms of quality or it WILL fail. i.e. calendared base with cast overlay will work, as the cast vinyl will resist the shrinking of the calendared and the cast overlay will actually protect the calendared baselayer from exposure/aging anyways......but the other way around the calendard "top layer" will shrink and pull the cast vinyl back with it.
correct me if i'm wrong, but reflective vinyl is cast anyways.... so you should be good overlaying. Major issue I see here, however, is the thickness from the layering may cause difficulty cutting.

you may be better-off just getting the controltac version of the reflective, regardless, as you're increasing the costs of your vinyl anyways by the time you go through the process of laminating sheets together and scratch your head trying to cut it properly.

Oroscoe

3M 680 all the way. Need to take it off, add a little heat and pull. Takes about 1/10 the time as something like nikalite.

ikarasu

Most of nikkalite isn't removable... However they do have a removable model. 48012pr is the removable #. Most retailers don't seem to sell it... but you can request it, or buy direct from nikkalite. I believe it's newish and if it ends up being popular they'll extend it to their other lines as well.

We just got a roll in - Obviously we haven't had a long term test on it.. so I can't say how good it is compared to 3M 680. But I can see it's 1/3 the price!

Our Nikkalite rep told us it's easily removable up to 3 years, then it starts getting harder and harder to remove. Which I find is the same case with 680... 680 tends to leave all the glue behind on older installs.