• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlit panel replacement...with a twist?

gnubler

How would you guys swap out this panel? It's about 9 ft wide by 2 ft high and blocked on either side by the wood support beams. Stupid design. We haven't gotten up there yet to take a peek inside to see how the cabinet is mounted, it's about 12 ft up. My installer thought that maybe it might have a center mount and the whole cabinet could be swung around 90 degrees to slide panels in and out, think it's possible? Otherwise the whole thing has to come down and it'll involved a lift rental. Any suggestions?
20210813_121418.jpg
20210814_144030.jpg

Z SIGNS

Hmmm. Are you really expecting someone to give you advice on something even you don't know the particulars?
My advice would be to get intimate with this installation.
Go to the site get up on a ladder and find out what makes this sign tick.

gnubler

Hmmm. Are you really expecting someone to give you advice on something even you don't know the particulars?
My advice would be to get intimate with this installation.
Go to the site get up on a ladder and find out what makes this sign tick.
Yes - isn't that what this forum is for? To ask questions and share experiences. Obviously I'm going to run up there with a ladder to check it out before I bid on it. In the meantime lookin' to hear how others have dealt with these. Thanks Tex.

Johnny Best

From the back it looks like you can unscrew the side retainer and slide the face out at an angle. Face should be flexible enough to make it out of the cabinet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Do you ever sleep?
Of course I do. Are you that stupid, to ask such a stupid-a$$ question ?? Any idiot would know that I set my alarm clock based upon posting in your threads. Besides, this is just another one of those bogus threads of yours, so don't be too terribly upset. :sleepin:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
She cannot go up ladders. You'd see under her dress and that would blind you the rest of the day... if not longer

signbrad

The main thing is to have fun.
Take off the top retainer, and one side, too, if necessary. Or the top and both sides. Or just the bottom, which is the most fun.
This construction is a pain in the butt no matter what, but if you can do it and have fun, you win.

When you put it back, cut the top and bottom retainers in half on a band saw. Install two of the halves first, then slide in the face and install the other two halves. Does that make sense?

Brad in Kansas City

gnubler

Wonder if gnubler has gone up the ladder to check it out yet to report back her findings to us.
Not yet. The customer is pondering the initial quote I sent over. After I saw the "artwork" they supplied for their new logo my eyes instantly glazed over and it was reflected on the cost of my bid. "Art for a refrigerator" is how I classify masterpieces like that.

gnubler

No, just the art time expected to trace and colorize a child's sketch in a notebook into something usable for a large sign. It's going to cost them more than if I'd just created something from scratch, professionally. Customers will never understand this.