• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Review Banner bleeds white (not ink)

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I ordered 2 grand format banners for a customer of mine for his business front. It's not in the sun all day and mounted flush against building so there's no wind damage. Ourselves and other customers have banners like this on buildings that last 3 or more years before starting to fade.
This one however, during it's 2nd year started bleeding white all over the printed areas and the building itself. I think it's the banner material itself, oxidizing and running off with the rain. This is a first for us and it looks horrible. Pics attached. If the company I ordered it from offered liquid lamination on their grand format, I'd do it. I'm not naming names but they are available every day of the year. ;)
Anyone else have this happen on banner material in areas where there is NO ink?

Note: I know banners are not supposed to be long term, permanent sign solutions. But typically it's because they break in weather or ink fades in sun.

Attachments

• RobsBanners.jpg
    RobsBanners.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 253

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's the banner material itself, oxidizing. Sometimes the lesser quality products will do this, as there is nothing on/in it to prevent it. Sometimes washing with a mild soap and actually waxing it will stop it and maybe give you another year or so of life. It might be on your dime, as I doubt your vendor will help at this point and the customer probably won't wanna pony up, either. Depends how much you value this customer.

Bly

They aren't meant to last forever.
Either sell them a new banner or better yet a proper permanent sign if they want it to last more than a year.
Also managing their expectations is the key. Sell them the banner as a short term option.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
That's the banner material itself, oxidizing. Sometimes the lesser quality products will do this, as there is nothing on/in it to prevent it. Sometimes washing with a mild soap and actually waxing it will stop it and maybe give you another year or so of life. It might be on your dime, as I doubt your vendor will help at this point and the customer probably won't wanna pony up, either. Depends how much you value this customer.
Exactly what I figured. Looked around for a Grand Format wholesaler who offers Liquid Laminate but, only found it for FlexFace.
Thanks.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
They aren't meant to last forever.
Either sell them a new banner or better yet a proper permanent sign if they want it to last more than a year.
Also managing their expectations is the key. Sell them the banner as a short term option.

I suspect you didn't read my post.

SMALL 20141009_151906.jpg

This one is from the same vendor. It's 13 oz and has been south facing and outdoors for just over 3 years now and it still looks about as good as the day we bought it. The lower half that gets a bit more exposure to the sun is starting to show a slight bit of ink migration into the white areas and the white areas themselves are just starting to crack and disintegrate slightly. However, I'm fairly certain we'll get at least another 2-3 years out of this before we have to replace it.

I am a bit concerned about the quality of their banners as of recently, as they have lowered the price to $1.00 per square foot on the 13 oz. banners. I'm wondering if the new material is different and possibly cheaper than what they previously used or if their production volume has simply increased that much. We prrint 90% of our banners in house with eco-solvent, but for these large jobs like this 30' x 9', we still have no choice but to outsource.

brycesteiner

Places that order train car loads of cheap material from China have quality control issues with the material. I talked to the Leister salesman today and he explained that getting banner material like will have issues with consistency in different aspects from welding to printing and longevity.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Ok so you know they aren't long term signage.
It lasted over a year. What's the problem?
Tell them when they order how long it's warranted for and sell them another one in 12 months.

Because ALL the other's I've ever done have lasted a lot longer without this particular white oxidized vinyl problem...so it was "reasonable" to expect it to be like all the rest.
My questions was NOT about whether or not Banners are long term options. It was about whether or not THIS problem has happened to anybody else...as it's NEVER happened to us before.
Thanks for participating.

heyskull

A banner in my opinion is a "temporary sign"
No way should a banner last any longer than 2 years.
If they expect any longer they should of bought a sign.

SC