• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banner help

noack214

hello im new to printing so any advice is good advice. the owner of my company took a job 4 a banner and im not sure i can do it. the banner will be 12x12 and my jf1631 is only 5x10 any idea how i can do this?

MikePro

print 6- 4x6's, with overlaps and weld/stitch the banner together.
or outsource :)

otherwise, get a 12x12 banner and print 6- 4x6 tiles on vinyl to be applied to it.

noack214

that was my first guess but not sure if we have the means to stitch them together. also im not sure what the material is called but it seems to be a heavy duty mesh so air can pass through. it is for our local baseball team and they will be hung along the outfield wall for advertising i do believe there will be 10 of these.

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and people

Nice challenge once you learn how on the 1st all the rest will be a zip
show us some pictures when done

Sticky Signs

outsource it to a company that can print it in one piece. Or, have your boss talk the client into changing the size to something you can do inhouse.

noack214

i think the boss will have to talk to the client because i have 1 of last years banners in front of me and it is 1 piece . what is the biggest flatbed printer out there that is capable of printing something this big?

Letterbox Mike

You don't print a mesh banner on a flatbed printer (well, you could, wouldn't make much sense though). Outsource the job to someone who can do it the right way. You don't want to do this in 4 panels with mesh, it'll look terrible.

+3 for Merritt Graphics.

sjm

You don't print a mesh banner on a flatbed printer (well, you could, wouldn't make much sense though). Outsource the job to someone who can do it the right way. You don't want to do this in 4 panels with mesh, it'll look terrible.

+3 for Merritt Graphics.

Sure you can. Do it all the time.

To the original poster, print it in 3 equal sections and have it RF welded. I could recommend someone that does an awesome job. Though it's impractical to ship across borders.

CheapVehicleWrap

SJM, so RF welding mesh is no problem? How's the strength. I dropped off samples locally but I guess they never got to testing it. Any idea the costs?

I used to RF weld banner all the time at my old job, very rarely did we ever have a problem.

I'm not sure of the exact name of the product but we always called it seaming tape. You will have to use something like that to get a solid weld between your mesh pieces. Mesh to mesh by itself will either not weld or have a very weak weld.

Even the best welds will still be somewhat visible.

Cost vary shop to shop... I think at the old job they charged about around a $1.00 per linear foot to weld.

~Chris

sjm

SJM, so RF welding mesh is no problem? How's the strength. I dropped off samples locally but I guess they never got to testing it. Any idea the costs?

No problems whatsoever. As for costs I always used to request seat-belt reinforced hems to go along with welding a mesh banner, so a 20' x 10' welded and hemmed was just little over $100.

I say used to only because we have invested in superwide machines.

vinylbarry

Outsource it to someone who can print full I dont think in a mesh banner that a welded one would look as good as a full print.

+++for outsource

sjm

Out sourcing may not always be an option. I know in our case there was none one capable locally.

Though as we grew the business we added superwide technology.

Salmoneye

SJM there is no reason to outsource locally. You don't have the equipment to do the job properly or enough demand to justify larger equipment purchase. Many wholesalers are lightning fast and UPS doesn't sit on their thumbs either. I am in TX and I order from each coast.

Salmoneye

Several people in my town here have purchased very large printers and now the city has limited banners to 60 sq ft period.