• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Lamination

msenjur

Hello!

i need to laminate 3x11m jumbo banner with matte liquid lamination, very quicky.

The firm that usually laminates banner for me only has gloss...

Can i use any other lacquer?

i dont think i can get matte liquid laminaton on such short notice...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why laminate a banner ?? Banners are considered temporary and usually do not require any lamination. If you must, just get a can of ClearShield matte finish and put 1 or 2 dry coats down, then put a good final coat on it. Still think it's a waste of time.

msenjur

it is black print, meant for photo wall for vehicles...

banner will be mounted outside, on rain and sun. I cant imagine what it will look like in a year or two.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The very first banner I made with my digital printer... I printed it on vinyl, then laminated it (had to redo it 3 times because it messed up in the laminator) and then I applied it to banner material..... :roflmao::roflmao:

brdesign

1 to 2 years outdoors is really about the maximum lifespan of a banner, with solvent printed banners I've found that the banner material will break down before there is any significant fading to the print.

msenjur

hm, i dont know what quality are banners at your country, but here i have noticed fading and washing but material is still ok.

So, i belive that with lamination i can extend print quality for few more years.

ikarasu

Never heard of banner lamination....

I wouldn't try something not known to work. Odds are it's going to yellow, or crack/peel and look bad.

For the price of banner material I don't think it's worth it. Run an extra and hang it outside and date it. See how long before it fades... It might just surprise you.

If it's a simple image you could just use matte vinyl. Other than that... Not sure. Banner tends to the plastisize though, so I'd stick away from any sprays not meant for banner.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
You can polish a turd but it’s still a turd.

In this case, you can laminate a banner but it’s still a banner. If they get more than a year out of it you’re onto a winner.

Banners are cheap and cheerful by default, trying to laminate and do all the other nonsense takes away the cheap and definitely doesn’t sound cheerful..

msenjur

once again - banners here lasts much more than 1-2 year. maybe you have stronger UV radiation?

Banner over road - was hanging whole 3 years, before wind tear it apart.

Banner on fence - im changing price stickers on it for fourth year now. and it look like it will last for few years. But it shows fading by now.

One other banner - laminated - hangs for 1 year now and it is like new one.

The firm that welds banners even has a mashine for liquid lamination. It is the size of the large printer, and it applys lamination on banners...

So, here in EU banner lamination is often process i guess...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are these normal scrim banners like 13oz or so....... or actually canvas or tarp type banners ??

I'm not sure of the spelling but daige made a liquid laminator and a liquid laminate. I never owned one, but heard it was good for banners and other unrigid materials.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I can pretty much guarantee that my costs are cheaper to just make two banners (can probably make 5) for the price this guy is getting his banner printed then sent away to get a liquid lam.

You obviously want to give your customers quality but I wouldn’t give them too much of a guarantee on a banner that could get eaten by the wind on day 1. You need to manage customer expectations.

I’m In Scotland and I guarantee every single banner I’ve ever made has had the material fail before the print. We get sun about three times a year lol

And again it’s cheaper to just print two banners. Plus you get to sell two banners instead of one. We’re here to make money, right?

brdesign

hm, i dont know what quality are banners at your country, but here i have noticed fading and washing but material is still ok.

So, i belive that with lamination i can extend print quality for few more years.
I'm curious as to the type of banner material you are using, perhaps something totally different than the 13, 15 or 18oz scrim banner that is common in the U.S.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
In the UK we use 440gsm frontlit banner as “standard” which as far as I’m aware is just a different name for your 13oz

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Hello!

i need to laminate 3x11m jumbo banner with matte liquid lamination, very quicky.

The firm that usually laminates banner for me only has gloss...

Can i use any other lacquer?

i dont think i can get matte liquid laminaton on such short notice...
Any other lacquer or clear coat could damage your print. It would need to be water-based, but even that is not a guarantee if it is just something from a local paint store. Clearshield matte, as mentioned earlier, is a good product to use.

msenjur

i managed to get semi-gloss... will test it today...

what am i using? maybe we just name it differently...

i name it banner... its a 250g or something pvc material... it is in blockout version also.

Attachments

• 20210311_093327.jpg
    20210311_093327.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • 20210311_093250.jpg
    20210311_093250.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 153