• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bannerups Failure

bfwaits

While seeking new, better, faster methods of hemming banners i decided to try Bannerups. I searched the forum and did not find much info good or bad about them so i ordered and tried them out. I have used them on several banners now and they are failing after less 4-6 weeks. One banner is 2 x 5 with mini power tabs (4 corners) bravo tabs top and bottom center, and power tape (i know the mini tabs are for light duty outdoor). The other banner is 2 x 7 with Bravo tabs (5 tabs top and 5 tabs bottom) and power tape. Here are the photos, judge for your self. Site info: Winds have been minimal since installation, both are on fences, both face east, both were zip tied. Banner Material: both Arlon DPF 313 13 ounce. Not looking to bash the product, just want to tell about my experience with them.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6374.JPG
    IMG_6374.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_6373.JPG
    IMG_6373.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_6240.JPG
    IMG_6240.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_6237.JPG
    IMG_6237.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_6375.JPG
    IMG_6375.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 286

TSC1985

I see the use of these for short term banners and especially for inside use but why not just throw grommets in there? With only 10 it should take less than 5 minutes, even for the Soviet-era hand press we have here.

bfwaits

I see the use of these for short term banners and especially for inside use but why not just throw grommets in there? With only 10 it should take less than 5 minutes, even for the Soviet-era hand press we have here.

I used these because they were supposed to be stronger than grommets, i like the clear, and they are faster than folding a hem and punching grommets. If i was just putting grommets in a single thickness banner, that would be faster, but also weak. not necessarily weaker than these apparently. I am now using weldable webbing on my long term banners. I have lots of Bannerups to get rid of though.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
i always back it up with grommets for outdoor use, just to be safe.
^^Yep. I'd never send out a banner for outdoor use without grommets. I've used the mini-tabs and the full sized ones with grommets and never had a problem (except in the cases where the customer thinks a banner is going to last beyond its short term life).

lgroth

I've had those fail, they sure don't work "as advertised", even had problems with just grommets without hemming too, and one failure can send a customer to someone else... Now nothing I do goes out the door for outdoor use without hemming and grommets. A few years ago we picked up a double needle industrial sewing machine, I wasn't too keen on it at first, but now I sew hems on every outdoor banner we do. I can sew a 4'X8' banner in about 2 minutes, another 2 minutes to grommet and you have a banner that won't fail in under 5 minutes. thread is cheap (figured it out once that an 8' banner uses less than 3 cents worth of thread), sewing is faster than the banner welders, cheaper and faster than taping and they hold strong! I haven't had a grommet in a sewn one tear out yet, not even ones we do for a ski hill that stay up all season in the harsh Wisconsin winters. The cost is negligible so we have it built into the cost without "lesser" options, it gives them a true professional look and now we're the one people come to in our area when the others fail. I don't know what I'd do without that sewing machine now... Or why everyone doesn't have one... It Rocks!
:rock-n-roll:

T_K

I've used the white banner ups frequently on banners, and never really had problems. I have used the clear too, but never really got customer feedback on those.

One thing that we always did which will help you - punch a grommet through the hole. That will reinforce everything.

Tim Aucoin

What's the temperature where they are hanging? If I had to guess, I'd say the adhesive in the tabs is "melting" due to excessive heat. I'd guess that if the sun were hot, the tabs would definitely slip if the adhesive softened up. That's what it looks like in a couple pics. A grommet supporting it would help prevent that for sure.

bfwaits

What's the temperature where they are hanging? If I had to guess, I'd say the adhesive in the tabs is "melting" due to excessive heat. I'd guess that if the sun were hot, the tabs would definitely slip if the adhesive softened up. That's what it looks like in a couple pics. A grommet supporting it would help prevent that for sure.

Mid to high 90's. i will add grommets to all of them until i get rid of the rest or use for indoors. As someone previously stated, they dont work as advertised. Disappointed no one from bannerups has responded, oh well, chalk it up to a lesson learned.