• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bass Drum Head / Flat Bed printing?

ericmitchell29

Hey there,
Does anyone print on Bass drum heads? Can this be done?
I have a Roland sp540v and was thinking about laying vinyl over the head but that isn't really ideal for alot of reasons.

If anyone out there would dare take this on (with a flatbed), I would like to see some wholesale prices sent to me (PM). Also if there is a minimum, etc... Most of these will be custom one off jobs and I'd send the drumhead as well as the digital file.

Thanks, Eric

iSign

Hey there,
Does anyone print on Bass drum heads? Can this be done?
I have a Roland sp540v and was thinking about laying vinyl over the head but that isn't really ideal for alot of reasons.

which "lot" of reasons?

that's what everyone else does...

petepaz

i did some stuff for a friend who is involved with bands and we made decals for the bass drum out of the fat head type material (oracal 3628) and they cut the hole for the microphone with an exacto you just have to make sure you wipe down the drum head with some alcohol first to clean it off

ericmitchell29

Well, the reasons would be that its a resonant head and putting vinyl all the way across it would make it sound like wet cardboard. I know for some it doesn't matter but, for some it does.

Other reasons would just be the fact that your laying down a sheet of vinyl on a head that isn't solid, firm.. u know what I mean. Unless I was going to put each resonant head on my drum... tighten it, put the graphics on, take it off, send it to the customer, it just doesn't make much sense.

Printing on a white head would seem like a good option don't you think?
I'm just interested to see if anyone has done it and if I can find a vendor here that might want to have a few orders every now and then. Just putting the feelers out.

J

john1

To be honest, I do full printed drum head vinyls alot and there has never been a problem with anyone complaining.

I work with a few drum companies and they get single color cut vinyl ones as well as full color printed ones that they lay right over top the head and punch out the port hole.

I now print all drum heads on 3M IJ35C which lets the customer install them bubble free just about.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you find a serious musician, he/she won't want their heads lettered with anything other than paint or direct print. Many drummers, as ericm mentioned, don't like the sound once layers of anything have been added to the head. It looses that tight sound of the bass and when recording or micing with very technical precision... the sounds get flattened or muffled. A very serious drummer will usually tune both heads on all their drums.

I've hand lettered plenty of drum heads over the years and I've also put vinyl on many, but I've never flatbed printed one. I don't know where you're at ericm, but if you'd like, I'll flatbed print for the S&H only. We'll do it for the experience. We'll probably make up a stage so the head doesn't dip in the middle. This will keep the head 100% flat while going through. We can accommodate up to 2" of height. So, unless the head is still attached to the shell, we should be able to do this for you.

If you'd like, just shoot me a PM.

S

SignTech

If you find a serious musician, he/she won't want their heads lettered with anything other than paint or direct print. Many drummers, as ericm mentioned, don't like the sound once layers of anything have been added to the head. It looses that tight sound of the bass and when recording or micing with very technical precision... the sounds get flattened or muffled. A very serious drummer will usually tune both heads on all their drums.

I've hand lettered plenty of drum heads over the years and I've also put vinyl on many, but I've never flatbed printed one. I don't know where you're at ericm, but if you'd like, I'll flatbed print for the S&H only. We'll do it for the experience. We'll probably make up a stage so the head doesn't dip in the middle. This will keep the head 100% flat while going through. We can accommodate up to 2" of height. So, unless the head is still attached to the shell, we should be able to do this for you.

If you'd like, just shoot me a PM.

Very true .......... especially if in a recording studio ...

... on stage live the tension or looseness of the resonant head will make only a minimal difference in sound quality ... not understood by the lay persons ear in the audience, especially hard rock. Mic's and condensers can change almost any sound on stage. I personally do not mind vinyl on the resonance head live ... but then again I use thick heads for both resonance and batter. I.e., Evans Super Kick II ........ a layer of 751 won't change much ... in a live situation ......

But if a choice Gino is correct I would rather have paint or digital direct ...

Side note ... vinyl cannot be used on coated heads ........ usually reserved for jazz or fusion drummers or marching band. So paint or direct digital would be a must ...

ericmitchell29

Sounds good Gino. I'll definitely pay you for your time/ink etc. I'm interested in seeing what this will turn out like.
I'll PM you with details and if you could, just send me your business address and I'll have a drumhead shipped from Musiciansfriend to you.
Thanks,
Eric

J

john1

I really beg to differ, I have done many drum heads for famous bands featured on major tours and mtv with no complaints at all. Always more than happy but hey, that's my experience with this.

S

SignTech

I really beg to differ, I have done many drum heads for famous bands featured on major tours and mtv with no complaints at all. Always more than happy but hey, that's my experience with this.

curious which point you're differing with ... there's like ten different points ...

BadAss

I've played since I was 4, Toured for 16 years. All my stuff in the early years was painted. Now ALL my drums have the bottom heads wrapped. Faces are done on all 4 bass drums and still sounds awesome. I also beg to differ with Gino as any serious musician would know how to tune his drums not matter what is on the front. If your a touring musician you find out that every city you play in has different climates and your stuff has to be tuned every show. And yes I now do wraps on entire kits, heads, we even done the grill covers on stacks for some very large tour acts. Most of the time any small differences in sound is made up by a great soundman anyway. SO WRAP THE SUCKERS UP!!! M*

S

SignTech

yes Badass I agree ........ sound guys rock and yes even an Export can be tune to sound like a Masters easily, good point ... we should chat drums sum time ...

Typestries

Gino-adding a stage of coro under the center is the $$ way to do it BTW. Eliminates all deflection. I've had good experience with ink adhesion initially and after regular road use on a nightly basis.

Sticky Signs

Vinyl that thing! Any "serious" drummer will have separate heads and/or drums for recording. The graphic is simply for show in a live situation. The difference in sound will be minimal and can be fixed with proper tuning and / or the sound guy. BTW, most drummers I know have no idea how to tune their drums.
With that said, I am very interested in knowing how the direct print works.
Hey, while you're at it, why don't you try one of each and see what the differences really are? I'd honestly like to know.

Badass, I'd also like to know your process for doing grill covers.

Why did the drummer keep drum sticks on his dashboard????

So he could take advantage of handicap parking!!! Waa Waaa wa waaaaaaaaaa