• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Be careful which company you recommend

rjssigns

TLDR version:
I asked the forum members to recommend a top drawer place to buy some very specific sign panels.
I went with the highly recommended company.

This morning I had to send an email threatening said company with potential legal action. They have managed to redefine the word incompetent.

My advice when recommending: If you do not have a close personal relationship with the owners and have been buying their product for years, kindly keep your mouth shut.

That is all.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
I had to lookup TLDR... everytime someone used it, my brain was registering TDLR and I wondered why so many people were refering to Texas licensing
The worst is when someone puts the TLDR at the END of their 15 page forum post..

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Hollywood version (Imagine Morgan Freeman's voice)

"In a world where top drawers can be little more than empty boxes, there comes a voice of reason...a voice of warning. Never...I repeat...never make a recommendation without having a close and positive association with those you wish to send my way. If the aforementioned is not feasible, then keep your pie hole in shut. And let a more competent S101 member direct me to the products and services I need".

JB

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
oops. Only the other day, I suggested someone buy asn £800 protractor...

netsol

Ever since last website upgrade I have major problems with my ipads
It NEVER stops coming up with a tapatalk prompt but will not allow an install
Happens on 3 different iPads, 3 different models

I wasn't intending to do more than once

rjssigns

The company shall remain nameless. I won't reveal them even if you PM me.
Here's all I will say at this time.
1) If you need fiberglass panels like you see in county and state parks go to the actual shop where they are made.
2) Verify that panels are made in house and said company is not a middle man for some janky contractor.(that's what happened to me)
3) Have a drop dead date with penalty clause drawn up and signed by the company. If they won't do that find someone who will because that company knows they can deliver.

Stop hiding behind Covid and supply chain "issues". Covid has been going on two years and if you haven't learned how to run your business by now it's time to shut the doors.

Note: Miriam-Webster has now been forced to redefine the meaning of the word incompetence.

CanuckSigns

1) If you need fiberglass panels like you see in county and state parks go to the actual shop where they are made.
2) Verify that panels are made in house and said company is not a middle man for some janky contractor.(that's what happened to me)
3) Have a drop dead date with penalty clause drawn up and signed by the company. If they won't do that find someone who will because that company knows they can deliver.

Stop hiding behind Covid and supply chain "issues". Covid has been going on two years and if you haven't learned how to run your business by now it's time to shut the doors.

Note: Miriam-Webster has now been forced to redefine the meaning of the word incompetence.
While I am sympathetic, the supply chain issues are very real and affect everyone. I've been telling people that I need a deposit to secure materials because they might not be in stock tomorrow and until they are in my shop I assume they are on backorder somewhere.
When you placed the order did you tell them you needed to have the product in hand by a certain date or else the order is useless? I've had to do that a few times and it usually helps.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

You also have machines/tooling that break which is totally out of your control. Before you would just overnight the part and work a late night. Now you're lucky if you can even find the part in stock somewhere. You'd be hard pressed to find people today that would accept a liquidated damages clause and if you did, you will pay through the nose for it.

rjssigns

While I am sympathetic, the supply chain issues are very real and affect everyone. I've been telling people that I need a deposit to secure materials because they might not be in stock tomorrow and until they are in my shop I assume they are on backorder somewhere.
When you placed the order did you tell them you needed to have the product in hand by a certain date or else the order is useless? I've had to do that a few times and it usually helps.
Supply chain issues are not an issue IF you run your business correctly. We've all had two years to get our s#it together. Learn how to manage inventory or get eaten by a company that can.
I'm a one man operation and stockpiled ink and media. I would rather pay carrying costs than turn a client away or lie to them about delivery.
JIT methodology of stock management is no longer applicable nor prudent.

I did give them a drop dead date and they assured me I would have product in hand by said date.
Over a month ago my file was in preflight. I okayed what their art department sent to me a month ago.
Since then they've done nothing but hide behind the now overused excuse of Covid and supply chain issues.

Here is the takeaway that everyone needs to understand:

If Covid/supply chain was truly impacting their business it was their responsibility to inform me during initial contact.

Doing so would have allowed me to work with them and inform my client of potential delays.
Instead they chose to lie about their ability to successfully complete the work.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Supply chain issues are very very real; however, the only way to operate in this environment is to be transparent about them.

This of course is an oversimplification, but it's the best and only option.

CanuckSigns

Case in point, last week I quoted a job printed on 10mm black pvc, told the client my supplier only had a few sheets in stock, and I would need a deposit so I can order them in, client waited a week so they could get other quotes, when they got back to me with a deposit, guess what's sold out now.
Told them I can get 12mm white, but its more expensive, them hummed and hawed, now it's gone too, next shipment is due in March I've been told.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Case in point, last week I quoted a job printed on 10mm black pvc, told the client my supplier only had a few sheets in stock, and I would need a deposit so I can order them in, client waited a week so they could get other quotes, when they got back to me with a deposit, guess what's sold out now.
Told them I can get 12mm white, but its more expensive, them hummed and hawed, now it's gone too, next shipment is due in March I've been told.
The satisfaction of telling them this news would be better than getting the job.

Someone a week ago asked me about signs they needed ASAP for a fire inspection to get a CO before a wedding they had booked at a new venue... blah blah blah. I gave them a price within an hour and said that I need payment ASAP to guarantee the delivery date. They responded the next afternoon and I told them I can no longer help them.