• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Before Computers

pjfmeister

Thought you guys might enjoy this....here are a couple pics of my Pop's sent me of his old Sign Kit....surprised he still has it!

brush kit box1.jpg
brush kit box3.jpg
brush kit box4.jpg

Billct2

That's a beauty, never had one as nice as that.
The first I had, that I got at Butera Sign School, was stolen around '80.
It's replacement is still going strong.

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    936.3 KB · Views: 143

Gino

Premium Subscriber
IDK, tools alone are one thing, but a well organized tool box/painters box like these is a whole different level of manliness. For instance, I have best in class tools of every sort, but I'll be damned if I can open the tool box and actually pull out what I'm looking for without a bit of hunting...

Are we talking about what's under the tool shed roof or your paint box ??

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
IDK, tools alone are one thing, but a well organized tool box/painters box like these is a whole different level of manliness. For instance, I have best in class tools of every sort, but I'll be damned if I can open the tool box and actually pull out what I'm looking for without a bit of hunting...
My brother has been after me for a long time to hang 'em on the wall. I took his advice and now I could kick my arse for not doing it sooner

I can literally have my hands on what in need in 3 seconds or less. It makes putting tools away fun, plus it's always easy to see what's missing. The magnetic bars are just the bomb...providing you don't mind stuff being magnetized.

This is after a long day of "heavy use"....some tools are still out on the bench.

Lowe's and Menards have some really cool modular metal peg boards that make this look like small potatoes. That'll be my winter project to upgrade.

JB
Tools.jpg

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just a couple of weeks ago. I do sandblasting in my shop and things do get a bit dusty.

JB
Ahh, not to alarm you, but as much of that dust is settled all over the place, it's also settling IN you. There is no way you are not breathing in residual amounts of dust, if you are indeed sandblasting inside. If that much dust has built up in just a few weeks, over the years, you've breathed in enough to cause damage. Are you testing yourself 2 or 3 times a year ?? We always blasted outside under a canopy whenever possible and we had a very filtered setup in the shop at our old shop. I no longer blast, because I became very allergic to the tannin in the redwood and other woods we blasted, but the redwood was far the worse. If we blast, I have another company do it. I can't even sand it anymore or my lungs will close up, like an asthma attack. I'll start wheezing and gasping for air. It takes several days for it to go away at this point. It also came on suddenly, when I first noticed it.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ahh, not to alarm you, but as much of that dust is settled all over the place, it's also settling IN you. There is no way you are not breathing in residual amounts of dust, if you are indeed sandblasting inside. If that much dust has built up in just a few weeks, over the years, you've breathed in enough to cause damage. Are you testing yourself 2 or 3 times a year ?? We always blasted outside under a canopy whenever possible and we had a very filtered setup in the shop at our old shop. I no longer blast, because I became very allergic to the tannin in the redwood and other woods we blasted, but the redwood was far the worse. If we blast, I have another company do it. I can't even sand it anymore or my lungs will close up, like an asthma attack. I'll start wheezing and gasping for air. It takes several days for it to go away at this point. It also came on suddenly, when I first noticed it.
Definitely using PPE! Just sweeping up the floor creates a bit of a dust cloud.

JB

Stacey K

I like making signs
Since we're talking about old stuff. My great grandpa came over here in 1895 from Holland (apparently he was in the mob and had to flee) and opened up a painting and decorating company. He used to attached Ridgley straightline ruler for hanging wallpaper. My grandpa eventually took over and used it. He passed it on to my Mom when he sold the business because my parents had many rentals and used it for wallpapering. My Dad gave it to me when I started up and I use it almost daily. If you notice, in 1924 they guaranteed it for 20 years. Well, it's straight as an arrow almost 100 years later and far exceeded my great grandpas "lifetime". I also use the attached yard stick, note the phone number only has 4 digits LOL

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 101