• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions best change i ever made

netsol

a couple months back, i modified the roland to hold 3 54" rolls
i was inspired by the OCE that can do a roll change all by itself, in the middle of a job
as i get older it becomes more of a PITA to change a full 54" roll so this morning i printed a couple things before running out the door to do installs
the change from a full roll of vinyl to a full roll of perf took about 60 seconds

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Assuming this is the colorado?
Because that's so useful. But you also need to be prepared in advance as you cannot swap stock while printing.

Say you have a job for posters, and another one on vinyl. You have to have both loaded up before printing the posters.
When the posters are finished, it'll swap them over and start printing (as long as they don't need tension)

Very useful feature.

Also should invest in equipment to move around heavy stock.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
The new Mimakis come with a 3 roll changer. I'd be interested to see your solution as I'm sure Mimaki has over-engineered it!
I saw that the other day. That alone makes me want to get one. I want to see the bugs worked out first unless it's the same as the CJV300, printhead and all. Ink setup is different and kind of clunky.
I'd like to see this homemade media rotisserie

Gene@mpls

Interesting- I have a system that feeds the vinyl over the main roll.

Attachments

• Mimaki.jpg
    Mimaki.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 192

netsol

Assuming this is the colorado?
Because that's so useful. But you also need to be prepared in advance as you cannot swap stock while printing.

Say you have a job for posters, and another one on vinyl. You have to have both loaded up before printing the posters.
When the posters are finished, it'll swap them over and start printing (as long as they don't need tension)

Very useful feature.

Also should invest in equipment to move around heavy stock.
i can swap the bottom 2 while printing from the top roll

it is nothing like the OCE which can do all this from software

for me it is just a matter of a 150 ft roll being heavier than it was 5 years ago...

rydods

Member for quite some time.
i will later when i am in the shop

it is nothing elegant, but it saves a fair amount of lifting
Doesn't have to be pretty. We have 2 roland 60" printers and we don't use 60 inch rolls because my production manager is a young woman and she's on her own most of the time. I've been dreaming about building or buying a system that can mount extra rolls behind the printer so we don't have to swap out rolls every time we print on a different media.

netsol

I will post pictures tomorrow
We just stole the roll holders from a couple OLD rolands were putting out to pasture (cj400 & sc500)
Screwed a 2 x 6 across the uprights
Trickiest part was squaring all 3 rolls

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
i can swap the bottom 2 while printing from the top roll

it is nothing like the OCE which can do all this from software

for me it is just a matter of a 150 ft roll being heavier than it was 5 years ago...

The ability to swap while printing is handy - we can't do that as it's a draw system.

I saw a while back, a system that had 3, 4 or 5 (i forget) rolls on a reel behind the printer. that would auto change. all you'd do is select your stock and it would use it.
I forgot what it's called, or what printer it was used on. But it looked really neat.

netsol

The ability to swap while printing is handy - we can't do that as it's a draw system.

I saw a while back, a system that had 3, 4 or 5 (i forget) rolls on a reel behind the printer. that would auto change. all you'd do is select your stock and it would use it.
I forgot what it's called, or what printer it was used on. But it looked really neat.
That has been a feature for the OCE colorwaves for years
We have a 300 & you can do an unattended job, larger than a full roll, or pilr up jobs on two different materials in the queue. The 600 holds (4) 44 inch rolls. Rolls are in the front, easy loading & output is straight out the top

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
That has been a feature for the OCE colorwaves for years
We have a 300 & you can do an unattended job, larger than a full roll, or pilr up jobs on two different materials in the queue. The 600 holds (4) 44 inch rolls. Rolls are in the front, easy loading & output is straight out the top
OH the colorwave,
those are individual draws. gotcha.
Colorado is 2 rolls in 1 draw.

netsol

I haven't been to the shop, since i posted this
We have a relative in hospital, (it's not JUST my short attention span keeping me from posting the pictures i promised))

victor bogdanov

:p