• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Substrate To Use For Ice Chest Decal??

dmboye01

I have been asked by a current customer to come up with a material for a decal to be applied to the metal door on the front of an ice cooler/storage chest that you would normally see on the outside of a gas station. They want the material to hold for about 1 year, then be removable without much residue. The surface of the door isn't smooth, it kind of has some "stippling" or bumpiness to it, similar to FRP panels. The substrate would be digitally UV printed. Is there a material that anyone has used for this type of application? I've attached a picture of something similar to what I think the machine looks like.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• icemachine.jpg
    icemachine.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 243

rjssigns

Famous last words: "Only has to be good for a year". They will leave it on until you can't read it. LOL Got clients like that, I just roll my eyes now. Regular client said just put the logo on cuz the van is on its last legs. 300,000 miles and all kinds of issues. Well the dang thing was on the road 6 freakin' years after I put the logo on!

Anyway you could use Busmark. Personally I would use Convex or MotoMark. Those things take a lot of abuse.

dmboye01

Thanks for the response, we commonly use a material that I think is similar to the Busmark called MetroMark manf by General Formulations, just a standard blockout psa removable vinyl, but I'm not sure the adhesive is aggressive enough to hold to the very bumpy metal surface of the doors. I don't really have a great way to test any material in the elements either......

danky01

I have been asked by a current customer to come up with a material for a decal to be applied to the metal door on the front of an ice cooler/storage chest that you would normally see on the outside of a gas station. They want the material to hold for about 1 year, then be removable without much residue. The surface of the door isn't smooth, it kind of has some "stippling" or bumpiness to it, similar to FRP panels. The substrate would be digitally UV printed. Is there a material that anyone has used for this type of application? I've attached a picture of something similar to what I think the machine looks like.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey Thanks for posting that pic, it has inspired me to go see the ice guy down the street. His ice machines sure could use a makeover.

Letterbox Mike

That's umm... err... an interesting name for a convenience store...

For material, I would be hesitant to use anything with a "removable" adhesive on that kind of surface. We've done many of these and the texture requires a fairly high-tach adhesive. Unfortunately that means they can be tough to remove down the line, but if they want them to stay stuck for a year I'd go this route.

We've been using Oracal 3105HT lately and it seems to be a great high-tack vinyl. Very cost efficient.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
phototex EX and don't even take a squeegee with you!

just did a 8' x 18' beer cooler at a music venue and it worked perfect. wasn't a pebble surface, but it wasn't smooth either.

phototex will work perfect IMHO

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not saying it's the 'Best', but we just made 150 RTA digital prints for an ice guy with Oracal 3165 GRA.

darby07

Famous last words: "Only has to be good for a year". They will leave it on until you can't read it. LOL Got clients like that, I just roll my eyes now. Regular client said just put the logo on cuz the van is on its last legs. 300,000 miles and all kinds of issues. Well the dang thing was on the road 6 freakin' years after I put the logo on!

Anyway you could use Busmark. Personally I would use Convex or MotoMark. Those things take a lot of abuse.

Busmark + Overlam. All day!!

And UV digital you say? What press do you have? Just curious! I have a T1000 (unfortunately :frustrated:)