• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best vinyl/lam for a FULL vehicle color change?

ABPGraphics

not to hi-jack the thread, but why do customers always drop 50k on a nice new work truck and balk at the lettering job,
customer: "my truck is being re-painted for $900 and i only budgeted $1000 for new paint and lettering"

Maybe that's how they got enough money to pay for the 50 Grand truck in the first place.... by being a cheap a** in there business/everywhere else. My boss is a good example.

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

Gezzzzz, enough with the paint already! He's not gonna get the Flat/Matte Black look he wants from paint.

Research this several months back, got samples, tested both and...

He's got two choices for the flat black, mutli-layered cast, Oracal 970 RA at $550 (60" by 25 yards) or Hexis HX20000 at $350 (54" x 33 yards).

Hexis has a much better color selection but as far as the matte black, there was no way around laminating it. The sample they sent was gloss black, which I loved and was great to work with, maybe even more so than the Oracal 970 RA. I'd tested both samples the same day, doing a rear fender and partial bumper of each on the same car.

With cost savings and great customer service at Hexis, the choice was easy. However, when the Hexis matte black arrived there seemed to be virtually no way to even handle the matte black vinyl without marring the finish... but it's a true gorgeous matte black.

Hexis took it back, no questions asked and I ended up ordering the Oracal, which does has the protective finish, just as their sample did.

Don’t bother asking how it turned out.... In the driveway sits a white Camry and in the shop sits a beautiful roll of matte black vinyl. If I can’t get those two hooked up in the next month, I might just have to introduce that matte black to my own 300!

natedawg9640

Thanks for the info! The matte black is more likely than not to wind up an a new STI in the coming months, not of my current WRX. The G6 on the other hand will be getting the color change for sure. You mentioned the HX20k being available in a variety of colors and performing well, was It good on it's own or did it need laminating?

EmpireGFX.com

We have used the Oracal 970 in gloss black for customers cars and you really can't beat the fact that it has the air egress adhesive and the black is nice and glossy! We are doing 2 color changes in the next few weeks both in the same Oracal 970 red.. oddly enough one is a STi. I'll post a thread whenever I get around to doing the install and let everyone know how it goes.

GypsyGraphics

Thanks for the info! The matte black is more likely than not to wind up an a new STI in the coming months, not of my current WRX. The G6 on the other hand will be getting the color change for sure. You mentioned the HX20k being available in a variety of colors and performing well, was It good on it's own or did it need laminating?

The sample Hexis sent and my sample book with all the colors & metallics (no matte black) all have a nice glossy finish, no lam needed. In fact, when I held the large sample up to my black truck (Nissan Frontier) it looked like an exact match, color and finish.
HX20000.jpg

Oh, and the Hexis is air egress as well.

BRUSHMARKS

lol. thanks.

A bit more spendy and permanent than I'd like.

Also, matte black as PAINT is not a wise option. VERY high maintanence.
I am on my 3rd vehicle that i have painted flat black. Right now i am driving a 06 subaru forester all flat black, even the rims i did in flat black. i used a SEM Trim Black. not the cheap chalky looking flat black. no maintenence needed.