• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Way to Cut Down 4x8 Sheets of Foam Core?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yes all those craftsman out there cutting a big rectangle of foam core down to smaller rectangles.
We do! We don't have the need for big machines for auto cutting substrates (yet) I run 4 printers, and have one helper to help with cutting down prints. We have a substrate cutter - it's awesome for ACM and 6mm Sintra, but just a more awesome way to cut substrate by hand.

Jeremiah

The more work that I do, the more % of money in my pocket. I dont spend money for a machine that I dont need for a simple process. We also provide stock sizes for customers to pick from

rjssigns

Is it a CNC? If you're strictly doing straight cuts, a CNC would be much more expensive, slower & higher maintenance.
I would suggest you start with a decent manual cutter, and if/when you upgrade, you will have a back-up.
Yup, CNC, but we do a lot more with it than just make straight cuts. Packaging prototypes is one cool thing. Those get thru cut, kiss cut and creased. Making 5000 thru cut campus logo stickers is another. Oooh and cutting reflective and... You get the idea.

DeadDoc

That looks very much like a Keencut BigBench with an old style Javelin cutter. Very precise.
I keep meaning to get a new top for ours with T-slots cut perpindicular to the cutting bar.

DeadDoc,
That's like a baby SteelTrak, perhaps without the ACM cutter. The 250cm version will do 8x4's. Those blades are around £20/100. Biggest pain is switching blades - the chasis of the cutter is extruded aluminium, so you can't hang a magenetic spare blade tray on the machine, so you have to step atleast a foot or three to grab a replacement.
Necro reply! You may not be able to directly place a magnetic tray on there but you can adhere a magnet to it first. ;) I just use a plastic tote box with it like the people before me did. I will change that one day to the magnetic as that sounds better. Thanks for that! I wish ours was a full size as I keep getting items larger than its capabilities and my hand trimming skills are less than stellar for foamboard.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Necro reply! You may not be able to directly place a magnetic tray on there but you can adhere a magnet to it first. ;) I just use a plastic tote box with it like the people before me did. I will change that one day to the magnetic as that sounds better. Thanks for that! I wish ours was a full size as I keep getting items larger than its capabilities and my hand trimming skills are less than stellar for foamboard.
My workspace has strips of 10mm wide self adhesive magnetic tape on all the machines; backed razor blades on every printer, as well as around the laminator. 10mm is just wide enough that the blade isn't stood proud. I will have a look at the ST in the morning - a little bit of vhb or even velcro would do to hang a tray, and probably better than magnatizing packs of blades, to make the separation that more fun.

Last sign show I went to in the UK, there were plenty of Chinese knockoff cutting bars, like a very inexepensive Keencut Javelin. Given the choice, I wouldn't buy one, but if the alternative is freehanding, would be better than nothing, particularly if your tolerances are within an 1/8'th over 8'. Combine it with a jumbo speed square, and should be pretty quick for ripping down plus size foam boards.

DeadDoc

My workspace has strips of 10mm wide self adhesive magnetic tape on all the machines; backed razor blades on every printer, as well as around the laminator. 10mm is just wide enough that the blade isn't stood proud. I will have a look at the ST in the morning - a little bit of vhb or even velcro would do to hang a tray, and probably better than magnatizing packs of blades, to make the separation that more fun.

Last sign show I went to in the UK, there were plenty of Chinese knockoff cutting bars, like a very inexepensive Keencut Javelin. Given the choice, I wouldn't buy one, but if the alternative is freehanding, would be better than nothing, particularly if your tolerances are within an 1/8'th over 8'. Combine it with a jumbo speed square, and should be pretty quick for ripping down plus size foam boards.
Having used a knocked off version for just LF paper, SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND DO NOT BUY IT! I would much rather grab one of my Big Blues (name branded weighted ruler for cutting) and run a knife against that over pure freehand/Chinese knock off. Just did a bunch of 72" foamboards yesterday with dual hand trims on each.

Note: No idea which brand knock off but it had yellow plastic, went through about 3 employees and back into a box to China. Maybe there are better ones out there.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Having used a knocked off version for just LF paper, SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND DO NOT BUY IT! I would much rather grab one of my Big Blues (name branded weighted ruler for cutting) and run a knife against that over pure freehand/Chinese knock off. Just did a bunch of 72" foamboards yesterday with dual hand trims on each.

Note: No idea which brand knock off but it had yellow plastic, went through about 3 employees and back into a box to China. Maybe there are better ones out there.
I should say that I have a javelin, as well as a Big Purple Ruler, and wouldn't go down that route, if precision were required. Just for ripping down.
OK, suggestion firmly retracted.
Buy once, buy good.

signbrad

When you say "foam core," are you talking about Gatorfoam or Fome-Cor?

Fome-Cor is pretty flimsy stuff to be cutting on a saw. Surely you mean Gatorfoam?