• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best way to mount an ACM sign to corrugated metal siding?

Thanks all for your input and feedback. We continue to learn and get better at providing exceptional value to our clients.

One quick note about caulk. We used roofing sealant (vs. silicone) to seal mounting holes on a previous job. It's sticky for a while, but I'd image will provide lasting seal as it cures. Any thoughts there?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Thanks all for your input and feedback. We continue to learn and get better at providing exceptional value to our clients.

One quick note about caulk. We used roofing sealant (vs. silicone) to seal mounting holes on a previous job. It's sticky for a while, but I'd image will provide lasting seal as it cures. Any thoughts there?
That's what you should use IMO. It stays flexible and will expand/contract with the steal and never dries out. Silicone is for bathrooms, it can withstand ponding water but it doesn't stay adhered well to steel. Most of these buildings have a kynar or smp coating which roof sealants are generally made to adhere to

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Sheesh, why 3" long? I find the longer the self tapper, the less useful it really is. Go through siding, hit a stud, well now you've stripped your threads out of the siding and your counting on the stud to hold the screw straight, which of course it will, but now your seal is only as tight as the rubber washer, not the washer plus the threaded hole. Not to mention you may find the back side of an outlet or junction box with something like a 4".

Even if these were just an example of the style of screw, what scenario do these work well for? Honest question.

Exactly why my emails to architects start with "I just thought I'd reach out..." F*ck them. For real. They want exactly what they drew up, arial evidently is the only font they have aside from tahoma, and they want it cheap. They couldn't give a rip how they are built, where they are built, or if they are full of non UL sh*t. Sorry for the rant.
engineers aren't much better and they are always so smug when you have to talk to them

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sheesh, why 3" long? I find the longer the self tapper, the less useful it really is. Go through siding, hit a stud, well now you've stripped your threads out of the siding and your counting on the stud to hold the screw straight, which of course it will, but now your seal is only as tight as the rubber washer, not the washer plus the threaded hole. Not to mention you may find the back side of an outlet or junction box with something like a 4".

Even if these were just an example of the style of screw, what scenario do these work well for? Honest question.

Exactly why my emails to architects start with "I just thought I'd reach out..." F*ck them. For real. They want exactly what they drew up, arial evidently is the only font they have aside from tahoma, and they want it cheap. They couldn't give a rip how they are built, where they are built, or if they are full of non UL sh*t. Sorry for the rant.
Well, these are self drilling and not tappers. We were going through on the high spots as well as the low spots of the corrugation. We had to hit where we could on many of them. With the wood being 1.75" we needed to make sure we had enough meat to connect. We had no way of telling if we were hitting wood. In most places, it was just dead space. You could do chin ups on these things if ya wanted to. They were very firm. Maybe one outta 100 didn't hold good. We made up for it with quantity.

karst41

Makes sense. What do you use for stringers and what fasteners do you prefer to mount the stringers?

Thanks all for your input
We tried using the 3M UHB and VHB foam attachment tape. Your old pals at Circle R were like. Yeah yeah. works good.
Total Bullchit. Metal frame to the building sign to the frame. Tornado blew through town and the 18"x18" ACM was found
over 200 ft from the building and bent up.

Bookmark these guys. The stock a lot of useful stuff.
www.signbracketstore.com