• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Way To Re-Stick Lifting Decal Edge?

Techman

yes really..

No amount of contact glue or whatever someone wants to use will ever really work in the long run.
If the person cleaning it is abusing it with their pressure washer there is nothing that will stop the edge from peeling when they wash it again..
If the edges are curling because the vinyl is shrinking there is nothing that will fix it. It will just continue to shrink and curl some more.
If it is curling because the surface was not cleaned right then it will continue to peel.
If the edge was stretched while applying then it will want to pull back and show up again and again.
There are countless reasons for the edge failure all of which are pure speculation. That is unless the installer can pinpoint why.

All the reasons why it is failing are not fixable with some glue around the edge. All that glue will just make a raised edge that will show up again later on anyway. When the material shrinks some more that raised glue edge will show up and the edge will curl both of which will look bad..again..

No one wants to have a redo, every one wants to find an easy fix.

If I use the proper adhesive and edge seal there will be no visible repair, and the decal will look perfect

No it won't. The edge curl will return. I haven't seen it NOT return.

player

So you think there is some secret glue that can only come from a vinyl manufacturer? vinyl mfg companies are the only ones who can make tape stick? Even if 3M sells their long life outdoor glue in a tape that is just the adhesive with no plastic so there is basically no thickness?

You think if there is at close examination some sign that the edge was glued back down it would look worse than a slice of vinyl stuck in there with an overlap and seam?

phototec

As mentioned already, the lifted area most likely has dirt, oil or grease stuck on the back of the lifted area.

I would first lift the released portion of the graphic and using a cleaning swab and some cleaner, remove the dirty adhesive from the back side of the lifted area.

Next (when dry), use Loctite Super Glue with Extra Time Control to re-attach the graphic to the painted truck surface, It dries clear and sets without clamping. Loctite Super Glue Extra Time Control is also resistant to moisture, most chemicals and freezing temperatures.

I would mask the outer area before applying the Loctite Super Glue with Extra Time Control, to avoid getting any adhesive on the outside of the graphics.

Easy fix, doesn't take long and the Loctite Super Glue with Extra Time Control is rated for exterior use on the following materials: Hard plastics such as Plexiglass™, polycarbonate, polystyrene and PVC.

The best part about using a Super Glue product is, it's very thin and if applied correctly, and you use a roller to squeeze out any excess, the repair will looks as good as new. No lump or line like if you used a tape product.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_x_cntrl/overview/Loctite-Super-Glue-Extra-Time-Control.htm

:smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
BS...

These are large decals and a small lifting edge does not merit reprinting, laminating trimming, removing the old decal and then reapplying the new decal.

Gino has a solution, that leaves a seam and an obvious defect/repair. If I use the proper adhesive and edge seal there will be no visible repair, and the decal will look perfect. No seams, no piece sliced in...

"geeses,, replace the b!tch and do it right... geeses..
Disgusting.
15 bux worth of vinyl and some time to get it right.. geeses.."

If you do that for every small problem you are out of business.

There is nothing hacked up or non professional about applying adhesive to a lifting edge when the rest 99.999% of the decal is perfect. These are also on curved trucks with huge welds that run through the decal that take a lot of extra time to apply.

I would also add when I was with the owner and I pointed the lifting edge he said who cares they are GARBAGE TRUCKS! That's what my customer said to me, as he was contracting another 3 trucks and a 4 x 24 reflective billboard.

I cannot understand why everyone here thinks you can only replace the vinyl, not repair a small area. I guess they have never used the 3M adhesives.

As I said before, I have tons of white so I am trimming the decal 1/2" and re-rounding the corner. Fixed. The nay sayers are still trying to remove the decal so they can reprint and reapply a new one.

Okay, in here somewhere, you say the owner doesn't even care about the lifting and ordered more stuff. You then go on to say the 'correct fix' is an obvious defect. I think the original installation was the defect and you wanna get out of fixing it correctly. If the guy doesn't mind it coming off already, why is he gonna mind a perfect fix ?? You contradict yourself, but hey, it's your customer and you seem to have all the answers except the right one. There is no quick fix of magically cleaning that vinyl and finding a miracle glue that won't harm the vinyl and keep it stuck for 5 years. Ain't gonna happen, unless you don't mind a real mess on your hands down the road. So, if you have tons of white as you said, what's wrong with cutting a whole splice from top to bottom and doing it right ?? Don't tell me it's to much trouble if your integrity about having a perfect trucks means patching and not doing it right the first time.

It's one thing to have a small mishap, regardless of who's fault it is, but the professional would repair it 100%, not like some backyard hack and put gum on it.

If you don't wanna do the cut, splice and refit method, there's only one other possibility if you are worried about your reputation. Clean it the best you can behind it, put a sparingly little amount of solvent glue back there. Hold in place and clear it with automotive clear with about 4 or 5 coats. That will hold it forever. Anything less, will most likely fail.

Now the next thing is.... who wraps a garbage truck and tells the people it's gonna last 5 years ??

MikePro

in all honesty.... post pics, or it never happened.

also, liquid clear to seal vinyl splits? yuck. I'm more of a fan of using laminate overlays, but if you want something to quickly brush-on.....don't. whatever could work, will also bond to the surface of the vehicle underneath and ruin it upon removal.