• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BEWARE of South Water Signs

Broke-Boy

Is a survey basically checking out a possible sign location and reporting back the condition, ease of access of the place?
1st time hearing about people getting paid for " sign surveys"

Johnny Best

George Washington did some surveying for the British when he was young and never was paid. You see how that ended up.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
What exactly is a survey in context to this thread?
Is this a serious question? If it is, I would suggest you'd be better off exploring a new line of work - or maybe spend some time working for a signage manufacturer/installation company so you can learn the basics about the industry.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Please whatever you all do, DO NOT USE or TAKE ANY JOB from South Water Signs 934 N Church Rd, Elmhurst, IL 60126 (630) 333-4900

They DO NOT pay their invoices. I was burned by them for a lousy $125.00 site survey. And by the looks of their google reviews they are doing it on a much larger scale to all of their contractors. They should be looked at by the government in my opinion. If they are a member of the ISA or any sign organizations they should be removed.

This was a site survey for Edward Jones that I was taken for. So they obviously have big accounts.

My survey was completed Oct 7, 2021. I have emailed and called them since them, with responses that they have “escalated” the matter and it will be paid. I have come to the conclusion that I have spent more time than it is worth, and its time to move on, but not before I tell this to you
I'm not sure if non-payment for a survey would qualify, and I don't think it's worth the trouble for $125, but have you considered a lien on the property? In my experience, property owners don't want liens against their property and are able to get their tenants to cough up the money that a contractor is owed even when it is the other sign company is the one who hasn't paid the invoice. Then it's the tenant and the non-paying company who can battle it out about the payment and you'll receive the money you worked for and are owed. Secondly, why are you doing surveys for only $125? is the location of the survey on an adjacent property to yours so there so sending out a truck isn't necessary? Our minimum for a survey - no matter how small - is $300 and even that, with the price of fuel and everything else in the country rising exponentially, is probably too low.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Is this a serious question? If it is, I would suggest you'd be better off exploring a new line of work - or maybe spend some time working for a signage manufacturer/installation company so you can learn the basics about the industry.

I think it's a legitimate question. He didn't say he didn't know what a survey was, he asked what it was in context to this thread. I think there are a number of people wondering the same thing - what kind of survey did the OP do for only $125? But it could have been something as simple as measuring the door glass for new vinyl or a wall for a new logo. If it's within walking distance and took a half hour of his time and it's an opportunity to land a new customer, why not?

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Ah. I misread his post and the mention of context. Monday morning, ya know? I read it as he was questioning what the thread itself was about, not the relation of a survey and the thread.

I agree about the walking part, that why I mentioned not taking a vehicle. My comment was meant to be half-snarky and half-serious but probably came across as 100% obnoxious. ;) I'll admit that I've stopped on my way home from work and surveyed locations as a favor to my employer just because it was on the way and I didn't see the point in having an installer lose time when he could be hanging a sign and making money for the company just to measure a storefront and take photos. The company got paid for the time and, for maybe 20 minutes of work, I gained points in the boss's eyes which, in the long run, translates to bonuses and increased wages.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I don't think FS has a lock on Edward Jones. I had another sign company out of DFW area contact me about one too.
That is true, we've done a lot of EJ stuff for Fastsigns, but I've also had another sign company contract EJ work with us. It wasn't South Water Signs.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Guess who emailed today? lol...

SW.jpg

Scotchbrite

No comment
I kinda feel bad for the account managers for a lot of these national companies that deal with the big chains. I figure most of the bad policies come from the upper management, bean counters, and their customer. The account manager gets stuck in the middle.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I kinda feel bad for the account managers for a lot of these national companies that deal with the big chains. I figure most of the bad policies come from the upper management, bean counters, and their customer. The account manager gets stuck in the middle.

I do too, to an extent.

I've been stiffed once on invoices before and it was by a company with a similar reputation/feedback as South Water....the one and only time I've made an exception and taken on work against my better judgment. I called and talked to other project managers and they were basically in on the whole deal. They told me they had never heard of the PM that I had emails from and talked to on the phone. They basically denied everything relating to do with the job. Claimed they had no emails from me. I forwarded them and they said they never received. The receptionist literally told me I would be better off spending time looking for other work instead of "chasing a measly few hundred bucks". It was a complete runaround.

Point is, usually employees know if a company has shady practices when they have the reputation South Water has. And if they don't know, I think they should. So my comments weren't an attack on the sender (she's only been there 5 months), I was just letting her know what kind of place she's working at.