• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BEWARE of South Water Signs

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You know what's worse that being stiffed by some derelict company? Getting stiffed by some company and then going on Google seeking validation and seeing all 5 star reviews.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Guess who emailed today? lol...

They are e-mailing you because I told them to get lost. With how big Dallas is, it's suspect when they don't already have someone in the area.

signs.jpg

Moze

Precision Sign Services
They are e-mailing you because I told them to get lost. With how big Dallas is, it's suspect when they don't already have someone in the area.

South Water has been emailing me for years, I just always declined the work due to their offerings being too low. This is from 2016 and I have more on my old laptop before I switched email providers.

SW.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Reminds me of Signs Unlimited. They e-mail me with the most ridiculous pricing I've ever seen. Survey for $75 and install a set of channel letters for $400, Net 60. I've asked to be removed from their system 100 times but they just keep e-mailing.

John Miller

We did work for a legit sign co. in Toledo Il. I told them money up front to people with no prior business experience. They said they understood, about 4 days later we got a check.
There is nothing wrong with cash up front. Legit businesses understand. If they are going to pay you, up front is the same to them as long as they trust you. We've since done work
and billed them, check in about 30 or less.

bcxprint420

Sign & Banner Xpress
Everyone here knkws exactly why they stiff on these surveys… because its just labor not any materials just like so many customers who try to have a logo mocked up or a sign laid out “just so they can see it”. Like our time is free and we just sit around counting our 100 dollar bills all day wziting for them to contact us for work. In addition i believe it is rally hard to sue someone for labor time only vs materials and labor. I coukd be wrong but at the very least they are counting on it not being worth the time to pursue court action. Loser deadbeats they are.

JamesLam

Is this a serious question? If it is, I would suggest you'd be better off exploring a new line of work - or maybe spend some time working for a signage manufacturer/installation company so you can learn the basics about the industry.
I thought the question was a good one. Not delving into that side of the trade I for one would appreciate the answers and insights. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

Did anyone check their website? They belong to ISA, Illinois Sign Assn, BBB and have a D&B rating. Everyone that's been shafted by them should be reporting them. Maybe a ding in their ratings will get them paying.

JamesLam

When we first started our business a fellow that provided us with mentoring was offering insight into unpaid receivables, bad customers, scammers, etc. The discussion came about as we had been so blatantly ripped off by an established customer. Certainly never a good time, but with a new house, new business, on the ledge of being parents, it was a gut punch for sure.

His background was automotive supply, part repair, etc. Referring to industry standards in the 80s and 90s it was assumed that he would lose approx. 2% of revenue to non payments. It was suggested that if one wasn't dealing with loses in that realm that their revenues were too low.

Obviously much has changed in the last 30 years but is there any sort of standard that fits that concept today?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
When we first started our business a fellow that provided us with mentoring was offering insight into unpaid receivables, bad customers, scammers, etc. The discussion came about as we had been so blatantly ripped off by an established customer. Certainly never a good time, but with a new house, new business, on the ledge of being parents, it was a gut punch for sure.

His background was automotive supply, part repair, etc. Referring to industry standards in the 80s and 90s it was assumed that he would lose approx. 2% of revenue to non payments. It was suggested that if one wasn't dealing with loses in that realm that their revenues were too low.

Obviously much has changed in the last 30 years but is there any sort of standard that fits that concept today?

I get that accepting the fact that you'll get stiffed on occasion will make it easier to swallow, but 2% bad debts is way too much for my liking.

We very rarely get stiffed and will work with customers (nicely or not-so nicely) to make sure that they pay their bills.

Then again we don't work with new customers all that often but when we do we make sure payment is always received up front.

JamesLam

I get that accepting the fact that you'll get stiffed on occasion will make it easier to swallow, but 2% bad debts is way too much for my liking.

We very rarely get stiffed and will work with customers (nicely or not-so nicely) to make sure that they pay their bills.

Then again we don't work with new customers all that often but when we do we make sure payment is always received up front.
I agree, we work too stinking hard (even harder these days) and 2% off the top represents much more off of the margin. Most of us also know the value of properly vetting new clients. COD and prepaid are two really safe options. But losses are inevitable.

If a small company's annual revenue is $300k, 2% or $6k might be a hard pill to swallow as it could represent wated sales anywhere between $45k to $60k. But if annual revenue was $3 million would 2% or $60k be that big a deal? To me it's all relative.

Now I would say that we have been fortunate in the fact that over 30 years we may have been relatively unscathed, though getting burned never seems to come at a good time. Looking at losses at the hands of staff theft or general laziness & wastefulness I would say there are other areas to look for additional savings.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ohhhh............. is the idea here, to make money and keep it ??

Stop paying taxes, utilities and other unnecessary bills. Sheesh, ya gotta learn how to do business.