• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big bucket

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Just a chain and no toe kicks on the ends of the platform? How would that pass inspection? I thought booms and baskets had to have a toe kick all around and a self closing, self latching inward opening door.

Notarealsignguy

I see that on self propelled machines but not trucks or towables.
Bet your basket has a tow kick around it. Think about when you're working and shuffling around, I kick mine all of the time. Without it, 1 extra step and you're falling right out of the basket. The chain is pointless. Even forklift platforms are required to have them. Just seems dangerous to me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let me ask all of you higher up people with knowledge on this subject................. Why do these baskets, platforms whatever, almost all have grid type open floors for anything but big tools to fall down through. Just seems dangerous to me. I know ya don't wanna drop a hammer on someone's head 50' down, but what about lost or dropped screws and other sharp objects ?? I had one of those rolling magnets, but guess what, they don't work on anything alumunium..... duh !!! dafug ?? My bucket has a solid floor and other than something dropping outta my hands while up there, everything gets cleaned out when I come down. When we rent one of those big boys, it's a different story.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Let me ask all of you higher up people with knowledge on this subject................. Why do these baskets, platforms whatever, almost all have grid type open floors for anything but big tools to fall down through. Just seems dangerous to me. I know ya don't wanna drop a hammer on someone's head 50' down, but what about lost or dropped screws and other sharp objects ?? I had one of those rolling magnets, but guess what, they don't work on anything alumunium..... duh !!! dafug ?? My bucket has a solid floor and other than something dropping outta my hands while up there, everything gets cleaned out when I come down. When we rent one of those big boys, it's a different story.
When things get shakey 50ft up you need good drainage for any involuntary discharge from the basket crewman. Slip hazard otherwise.

Notarealsignguy

Some bucket trucks are insulated and they usually use the same buckets on insulated and non for simplicity in manufacturing/parts inventory. You cant have any holes in the bucket because that could let water drip out and onto live wires. There are non insulated buckets and they also have expanded floors. Platforms are open because you need them to drain to keep snow or ice from building up and causing a work hazard. I dunno why scissors are solid, maybe is has to do with structure since they don't have a specific mounting point like a boom. I do agree though that it is freaking annoying when you drop a screw or tool and it falls through the holes. It would also be helpful to have 4 arms and hands then the open platform wouldn't be so bad but you can't have everything.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
My Altec buckets have diamond plate…
One late night we were on a bank conversion, someone shuts off the truck and I am seeing this run of fluid coming out from under it. I holler at the other guys, one shows up and starts rubbing it between his fingers, it’s not oily, then the other shows up a second later and asks why he’s scoping out his pee…
This post has highilighted the need for a Mr. Yuk emoji on s101.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
At that height, ya can just boom over to a roof and do it up there. Nobody's gonna see up there. Just got that tip from another installer just the other day. What

You're referring to Nifty tip #1 and #2. If there are no bathrooms you can go on the roof behind an AC unit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey boss, where's the pee zone ??
cat gotta pee.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed, that's the economy box in texas. A whole years supply. 52 weeks worth. However, large is probably too big for ya.

Johnny Best

So Tex, how much does the Elliott with large platform cost? You thinking about buying one. Those Mexican Cartels could use one to get migrants over the wall.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't know... no one wants to publish prices online. The cartel doesn't need it since Biden stopped the wall from being built... they just swim over.