• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

big squeegee DIY

msenjur

a have to install 250m2 laminated perforated viny on flat glass roof.

each panel is 1600x945mm.

i was thinking of making some DIY squeegee 940mm wide. would it even work that way?

has anyone did it before? what shape should it be? i think a bit curved on outside would be better than straight?

dale911

President
Theoretically it could work but if you have never used a big squeegee before, I anticipate you getting a lot of wrinkles. What you need to do is go to bigsqueegee.com and get a big squeegee. They have the kinks worked out on these things. They also have links to a ton of videos that show how to use them for best results. Also, you don’t have to go completely edge to edge with your squeegee. You can have an inch or so sticking out of each side. Lay the vinyl and then come back with the small squeegee and finish the edges. I have done that hundreds of times. Also, the thicker the vinyl, the easier it is to install with one of these without getting wrinkles. We routinely mount 4x8 panels in seconds with a 55” big squeegee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msenjur

im not from the states, and i dont have time to wait for delivery.

it doesnt look complicated, it could be easly DIY.

thanks for link...

unclebun

The PVC Big Squeegee they started out with was problematic. So if you try to imitate that one, it takes quite a bit of knack and luck to not have creases and wrinkles on a big sign. The new aluminum extrusion one with the long pole handles works, though it still takes a certain skill to not stretch your vinyl too much and get even application.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I've used Broom handles, 2x4's, plywood strips, cardboard boxes and branches from trees wraped in a beach towel to do installs in the field.
You can make anything into a squeegee.
Use the tools you have and if you forget your tools at the shop thats an hour away, make a tool to get the job done.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things

i was thinking of making some DIY squeegee 940mm wide. would it even work that way?

has anyone did it before? what shape should it be? i think a bit curved on outside would be better than straight?
Laminated perforated vinyl on flat glass roof.
Apply wet.
If you dont have a squeegee on hand, stop by a hardware store or walmart and buy a large window squeegee they work great and they are only $9.99

MHester

Would love to see pics of this when its done. It's not every day you see a flat glass roof. Curious.... if it's on a roof, who will see it???? Can you see it from inside the building, and are you printing graphics on it, or is it just for a sunshade effect?

msenjur

just sunshade evefect. it is visible from inside. its a shoppin mall.

20210723_073302.jpg

gnubler

I used a little Big Squeegee yesterday for the first time and it was glorious. Perfect vinyl. I'm going to order a bigger one this week.