• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

black vinyl breaking glass?

Billct2

I would look at what the two posts that discussed the way pro window tinters calculate the amount of stress a glass panel can take. Of course that only works when the information about the glass is available. I have never had a window break from vinyl (or paint) but I haven't really done a lot of full coverage jobs. I know when I did have problems with glass it was usually because there was a fault/crack no one noticed till we started working on the window. If you have any concerns either get a glass shop to say it's ok or have them sign a waiver.

Marlene

Some glass is exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. Some is coated with a substrate, like silicon, that makes long-term adhesion difficult to achieve. And some is topped with anti-reflection or scratch resistance films that make removing the graphic without damaging the tint nearly impossible.

Likewise, all vinyl is not created equal. Windows require cast instead of calendered film, for example. More specifically, perforated films designed for flat, transparent surfaces are ideal for glass applications. This cast vinyl has a continuous hole pattern perforated into the film to provide a graphic visible from the outside that can be seen through from the inside.
Keep in mind that many different factors influence the performance life of window graphics, including the correct combination of film, ink, overlaminate, ink formulation, drying methods, exposure conditions, and cleaning methods and maintenance. In this article, we will discuss the preparation of the substrate and application methods.
Preventing Problems
There are several pre-application steps you can take to prevent potential problems during and after installation. One of the most basic tips is to use an overlaminate or clear coat for durability. This will protect the film from environmental factors like dust, water and dirt that can collect in the perforated areas.
One thing you cannot accommodate for is sunlight. For that reason, you should steer clear of using dark graphics and vinyls on window fronts, according to Jeff Stadelman, technical marketing manager for the graphics product group at MACtac, a manufacturer of pressure sensitive adhesive. “If you cover window fronts with dark vinyl, then the vinyl will absorb more heat. It will also hinder the ability of the glass to give that heat off,” he says. “Eventually, the glass could actually explode because of the prolonged intensity of the heat.”
Cold weather also plays a role in vinyl application to glass. Manufacturers do not recommend attempting to apply vinyl to glass when the air surface temperature is less than 40 degrees Fahrenheit because the adhesion will not stick. (For more information about how environmental conditions impact vinyl application, read “Considering Environmental Conditions.”)

I copied this off from a sign industry page after a fast quick google search

spectrum maine

I have seen it. it was a fitness gym that had like12- 4 ' by 20'h panes. one of my competitors put a bunch of gears on it in black. (not total coverage)
a few windows broke. It was in the summer with brutal sun & the ac was running full tilt. The windows were at least 25 years old.

privacyfilms

I cut my teeth in the window filming industry. Whenever we would have inquiries about blackout film being installed on glass, we would take into account the type of glass, ie. annealed, tempered, laminated. Is the glass single or dual pane.

The safest glass you can install blackout film on is tempered single pane. But generally speaking, the safest way to install blackout is as an exterior installation. And always obtain in writing that your client is waiving any glass breakage liability.

Like Chasez and others have said, every window film manufacturer has some sort of film-to-glass chart/formula that you need to consult to make sure the film you're installing won't cause a thermal fracture in the glass. Llumar's chart, for example, takes into account: window type (single pane, double, triple, low-e, etc..), type of glass (tempered, heat strengthened, annealed), peak outside temp, glass thickness, shadowing (straight,T, L or V shape) frame condition, glass scratches, altitude, pane size, and whether there are curtains or blinds within 4" on the inside. According to Llumar's chart the only type of glass they recommend installing blackout film on is single pane tempered, none others.

Personally I would trust the multi-billion dollar corporations who have run countless tests on this subject vs some people on the internet who have never personally seen it happen therefore do not believe it can happen.

Last edited: