• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Blogs on Websites

SqueeGee

What do you all think about having a blog on your website? Pros and cons? Do you have a blog on your company website? If so, are you glad you do or do you wish you hadn't? Why?

Joe Diaz

I'm finalizing our new website, which has a built-in blog. It will link up with many of the social networking sites, so if people like what the see they can comment and share. I think the only time a site like that would be a con is if you don't ever update it, or post content that might rub people the wrong way or is irrelevant.

I don't think just doing a blog is enough though.

Dan Antonelli

We actually do have some newer sites with blogs, but it's only usually sold to a client who is having us manage their blogs (and in many cases, their social media efforts) as well. We have a writer on staff who manages many our accounts blogs and social media.

Like Joe said, unless the content is updated and kept current, it's a waste. We're in the process of integrating our current blog into our site structure as opposed to externally linking to a blogspot one. We have not done a great job keeping it current, but is something we're working on improving (have some new staff dedicated to that task, among others).

grampa dan

I write a blog on our website. As others have said it is important that it be kept up and added to on a regular basis. I know from feedback that it helps drive customers to our site which is good business.

The key to a successful blog is to keep things positive and post in a businesslike fashion. It is NOT the place to rant or say things you might regret later.

I view our blog as a way to keep our website updated and fresh between the annual refits. It's a great place to post concise information about current projects, awards and other information. We use it to showcase our staff, goings on in our shop and current happenings like our workshops and such.

I have received very positive feedback on our blog from our customers.

Once again however I would stress the importance of posting there at least two or three times each week. Its a BIG commitment!

-grampa dan

SqueeGee

Thanks to three guys that I consider to be the some of the best in the business for responding! You're awesome!

Joe Diaz

Joe, please tell me more about what that last sentence means.
I guess what I meant would depend on what you are wanting to accomplish with your site.

I see a blog as a small part of all the possible features you could include in your online presence. A blog would be a great format for sharing news, or case studies, or step by steps, or before and afters..... really any type of article that is relevant to what you are trying to promote or sell.

We use our website as on online portfolio mainly. I don't think the blog setting is the best way to showcase our work compared to the gallery pages we use now. We also have a place where we list our services and other info. And what good is any of that without some sort of contact pages. Our new site will have a little bit of all of those things including a blog that is integrated into that site rather than a stand alone separate place to link to.

Also, I've noticed that none of Dan A.'s recent sites have blogs. I wonder why that is.

Well he answered that, but I want to add this. If Dan is anything like us, he knows the work involved in running and keeping a blog up to date, and popular. If his potential customers can't put in the time needed or afford to hire him or anyone else to put in the time for them, then he is most likely well aware that a blog would be a waste of resources for that client. Blogs aren't for everyone and they don't write themselves. They need content to stay alive and generate traffic. If they don't have that, what is the point? It has taken a while for small businesses to realize the potential of using blogs or social media to promote what they do, and it's going to take even longer for them to realize the time needed to make it worthwhile, I can't speak for Dan, but that is the reason why we haven't built very many of them.

Jon Aston

Blogs have many benefits. They're great for SEO and for building relationships with prospects and customers alike. They have the potential to be the most effective lead generation tool in your marketing toolbox.

BUT... you need the right content strategy and need to be prepared to commit to blogging on a consistent basis - in order to gain the benefits.

Here's the trick: integrate marketing into your daily business processes - from estimating and quotations, through production, installation, invoicing, and collecting the money.

W

wetgravy

If I were ever diligent I would have a blog on a website of mine. It would be a great way to keep customers updated on progress of signs, let potential customers know the process we go through and see end results as well as set expectations on a subtle level for how long things take in the shop from beginning to end. Sadly, I never update my sites ... too busy for that let alone busy enough to blog regularly.

grampa dan

We are all too busy these days it seems. Blogging is important to me and my business. Blogging drives repeat business to the website which shows nothing but our very best work.

It shows only the type of work we want to do in the future.

Blogging on our site is done to educate our customers, tell them of the thought process of our designs and show them how much work we do on their behalf.

Our customers enjoy watching their signs as they progress through our shop. They also show their friends and business associates our site in the process. I hear about our blog from current and future customers all the time. It's one more way we add value to our work and the advertising we do for our customers.

The blog is a great place to announce awards and media events that have happened - featuring our customers work.

It is a big commitment but with clear goals in mind from the start it works well for us and is a GOOD investment.

-grampa dan

Blogging is done to bring us better customers all the time and not to just bring us more work. I want to work more at the things I love to do and less on work in general. Blogging is one more tool in our toolbox that allows us to do that.