• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boy there's sure two different kinds of customers isn't there?

TheSnowman

About 9-10 months ago I locked my front doors because I couldn't keep up with the work that was coming in via email, and I'm not ever wanting to have employees. Best way to handle this was to just not have the life sucking walk ins that only wanted to spend $25 and needed it in 15 mins, and never panned out anyway.

Since that time, I bet I haven't had a single client contact me that didn't understand the value of what I do, where as every person off the street wanted me to prove myself to them before they'd consider letting me do their cousins Happy Birthday banner.

Seems like the phone is now that new medium. Had a guy call yesterday and at the beginning of his speech he said "I've got it all planned out how it'll look in my head". Right there that's a red flag, cause that means they just want helvetica and they have zero desire to let us create something nice, which means they want to do about 5 revisions, and it'll look like poo when it's done.

He just wanted his tailgate done, cut vinyl, text only. I told him I'd realistically be $200-$250 by the time we laid it all out, and got it installed. I figured A) this is now a smaller job for me, so I need to make it worth my while since I'm going to not be working on easier better paying jobs with clients that trust me already, and B) I know this guy's going to want to stop in 5X to talk about his job before we even do it, and waste a ton of my time, so this will weed him out if he's serious or not.

The response on the other end was great. "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" I told him again the pricing and I heard "Ok....click." There was a day this would have bothered me for weeks, because I was taught that you need every job that walks in the door, and you need to just work all night long and be away from your kids, and make yourself miserable with little jobs.

I guess I'm posting this to tell people that were where I was, that if you've got enough work that it makes you happy, with good customers, don't worry about every job coming through. You charge more for being good at what you do, and doing solid layouts, than just doing enough to get by. You work half as much and make the same money. You'll lose some jobs for sure, but you'll be way less stressed out, less tired, have more time with your family, and should be real close to what you were making before.

I never believed it, even though man...10-12 years ago all the old timers on here were telling me. Took me a long time to finally believe them, but it's changed my life, how I do business, and made me look forward to coming to work again everyday.

I know not everyone is lucky enough to have an inbox that just fills up with jobs, and that took years of work and developing relationships, but I'm telling you, that's worth the work it took to cultivate those business relationships, because it's lead to an incredibly loyal customer base, and made for a great small business model for me.

gnemmas

"and I'm not ever wanting to have employees".

Ever have raining days?

When you are old or can not work anymore...then what? Live on Social security?

bannertime

The whole "you need to win my business" and the "you've gotta help me out" attitudes really sits wrong with me. I've had people say stupid stuff like "what if you take my money and run off." Wtf? We've been in this same exact building for over 25 years. I'm not going to up and run off with your $100. I don't even want it anymore. How dare you, honestly. We're not your neighborhood drug dealer. Then, they don't want to put down a full payment and when I say, "how do I know you won't just stiff me and never pick up the order or pay for it?" they want to act all insulted.

Since we've stopped accepting every single little order we've been much happier. Also, charging what it's worth for us to do the job rather than what the market or whatever may suggest. Good stuff. Now my blood pressure will be high for the rest of the day.

TheSnowman

"and I'm not ever wanting to have employees".

Ever have raining days?

When you are old or can not work anymore...then what? Live on Social security?

I have no clue what you're talking about here. Me having employees has zero to do with me becoming old. That's a part of life. The plan is to NOT have to work at that point anymore. Most people refer to that as retirement, and if they're like me...they're planning for that day now instead of relying on the government to do it for them.

gabagoo

LOL My blood pressure is high from reading that...

There are so many different types of people out there, I have experienced them all. I will say the longer I do this the less tolerant I am, but still you get the bozo's from time to time. The good ones far outweigh the bad ones.

I too work solo and quite enjoy it although taking holidays can be a real pain....and slipping out for the occassional round of golf. Thank God for call forwarding!!!

PS sorry, I meant to quote Bannertime, but it did not work.

TheSnowman

I hear that on the getting away, I used to feel the same way. Luckily my business model and who I do 95% of my work for has changed the last five or so years to where if I just give them a heads up a couple weeks out, me being gone a week doesn't set me or them back. Sure, I've gotta work an hour or two each day while I'm gone, but totally worth it in my book.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I can definitely relate. I'm in the process of trying out new techniques on saying "no" when it comes to new jobs that aren't worth it and just in general. Too many "yes" answers lead to getting burned out and letting customers down, and you know it's usually the $45 rush order that takes you an hour to set up that bumps a good value job for a good client.

Good for you for gaining control of your company, I need to do more of that.

I'd love to hear more ways that people have taken back their company and were able to get back to actually working for themselves instead of all their customers...I'm sure this is something we've all come across at some point.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There are too many other good, easy clients to spend your time on. Someone calling about pricing on a banner and can't pay for it before we make it because he has trust issues needs to find another sign company. Of the million dollars in sales I've done over the years, I'm gona go rouge on a $150 banner... get lost.

gabagoo

great post.

i'm in the same position, ZERO employees and ZERO walk-ins.

Oh I like the no walk ins.... Some days I feel like a McDonalds... Non stop people showing up..usually current clients and I always wonder why they would not simply call me or email me.

neato

Good going Kraig. You'll never look back.

This was just posted on our local facebook sales page. Exactly why I have no ambition to sell vinyl signs anymore

Hey Yall my name is DJ, and i make customized decals. I can make just about anything. At a reasonable price. If you are interested in having one made, PLEASE PM me.
Prices are approximate and depend on decal and how detailed it is.
15 x 15. $15 to $25
10 x 10 $10 to $20
4 x 4 $5 to $10
I can go bigger but my vinyl is 15 in. Wide. And i wont go smaller than 4 by 4. Colors shown in pics is what i have at the moment.

Anything 15 by 15 or larger which requires a deposit.

Sandman

I used to paint large logos on basketball floors (my biggest was 26 feet by 32 feet) for a manufacturer and also painted weight lifting platforms with customer logos. My main contact always said there are two kinds of reactions from customers when viewing the final product. Those that stand back and look at it and say, wow, that looks great, and the other type are the ones that walk up and are practically on their hands and knees looking for flaws.

tattoo.dan

This is great timing for me to read this. For the last 10 years we have been open to walk-ins monday thru friday. 9 to 5. Then we stay after we lock to doors for at least 4 hours a night to get the work done we couldn't during the day due to emails, walkins, phone calls etc.

I was staying so busy doing the little $45 rush orders "favors" mentioned, that I wasn't able to get back to the larger clients I had built up, or the potentially new larger clients who had emailed for a quote.

We have managed to up all of our pricing and weed out the smaller life sucking jobs, but now we are at the point where we finally realize it is the walk-ins that are holding us back from keeping up with existing large customers or even obtaining the new ones.

I have lost work to someone that does it out of his house about an hour away. Does great work, not knocking him, actually think he has gone about it all right. Running his business on his terms, not every stranger who wants a favor that walks in the door.

I am really thinking about posting a sign, and locking the doors. Some people will say "oh they don't have enough work, or they can't afford to keep store open". But I'm saying we have grown to a new level in our business, let us take you business/organization with us.

I never did it before because I knew someone else would open up. Now I'm to the point were someone else needs to open up because I don't want to do it anymore.

My kids are always at shop with me, 10 and 5 years old. It's no life for them. Time for a change.

Sorry for long post. Thanks for starting this Kraig. It helps to know "you aren't the only one"..and helps to hear your words of encouragement that all I was hoping to do and would work, is working for you.

TheSnowman

I forgot I'd started this conversation, but glad to see where it went. Phillip, that guy asking for a deposit on a 15" X 15" cut vinyl job is hilarious, considering he only charged what, $15 for it!?

You'll get all kinds of reactions when you move your business model like this, and it's not for everyone. It would be hard to do if I had employees or a lot of customers that would only do business with me if they stopped by. My biggest hurdle by far is training my customers that I'm not around for them to stop by for dumb stuff. They are learning they can pay their invoice online in 30 seconds by clicking a link, instead of driving into town, stopping by, and wasting 30 mins of my time telling me about their week. I also put on my new sign that they can put their payments in the mailbox, or in the mail...like I've done to pay people my entire life.

It's just the training people that will get old, but you'll have so much more time, more enjoyable work days, and customers that you chose, not that came in wanting you to sell yourself to them.

Again, I'm sure this doesn't work for everyone, especially a younger business without a decent loyal customer base, but when you're like me, single guy shop, and a couple small kids that have to hang out at your office every night after work, it's worth figuring out how to make it work.

K Chez

I've always though my customers were pretty good,but I didn't realize how good until I bought another sign business. I'd say at least 80% of their customers fall into the same catagory as the OP posted about, which was one of the main reasons he was selling the business - always chasing small money, everyone wanting everything for nothing or wanting cheap garbage looking work. A few appreciated the redesign of totally deplorable logos, but most wanted the crap that you see on the road and cringe. Fortunately for me, the real value in the buyout was the equipment and there were some profitable accounts, but the majority were not worth it.

Printphics1

I agree with the "never say no to a customer" service strategy but now realize that just because somebody walks into your shop acting like a customer it doesn't make it so.
The most negative transactions have occurred when another shop (trade) defines someone as a customer and then refers (dumps) that "customer" on us... Almost seems like they are intentionally referring problems and our "never say no" service attitude becomes a very dangerous double edged sword.

Awesome post Having been in the business for over 20 years I rather lose a job thats going to cause me stress and frustration. There are quicky shops that deal with those customers all day long and thats their niche.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
When someone on the phones asks where my location is and they want to stop in and sit down with me, I tell them we dont have a retail location that accepts walkins, they say "oh ok, we'll think about it" and hang up...I know I just avoided one of those time sucking cheap jobs. The guy that doesnt have the time to come visit me because he's busy running a company, doesnt have time for 10 revisions and doesnt call 5 sign shops looking for cheapest price is the customer I'm after.