• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Braille directly on door

De.signs Nanaimo

Hi all,

I have a designer who has Braille wash room signs directly on the door surface, just the raised dots, and the wood background. I am looking into using doming resin to make my own on dots of vinyl, but am stumped on any other options. Anyone done something like this before? Andy

CES020

Why did they put a braille sign on a door? If you open the door, the sign essentially goes away for the blind person that would need it.

You are not supposed to put ADA signs on doors unless you have zero other place to put it. If there's room to the right or left, the code, as I read it, says it HAS to be on the wall when available.

visual800

esspecially when most plaques are in a spot where the blind thing they should be this would just jack them up!

De.signs Nanaimo

Yea thanks guys, I may have to recommend they go with a full sign or something! Still waiting to hear from the doming resin people, and I put an enquiry into Scott Signs!

MikePro

pfft. doming resin? just make a template, drill a tiny hole, and place a glass bead in it.
just don't tell the raster-braille people that I just released the secret of their patent.

petepaz

i think doming on vinyl would be a bad move. high risk that the dots could fall off. not enough adhesive surface to grip and if dots start falling off the braille may go from saying men's room to pee here(that could be a problem)

CanuckSigns

we do quite a few braille and tactile signs in Canada, I have never heard of putting the braille right on the door, as others have said, when the door is open the sign dissapears, and if a blind person is reading it and someone opens the door into their face, it could be pretty bad.

A person who is blind relies on things like the ADA specs to make their life easier, some architects we have run across don't like signs and view them as a necessary evil, as a result, they try to do things like hide them on the door etc. which doesn't work.

One architect we did work for told us that this new wing in the hospital wouldn't need any signs because the design is so intuitive that everyone will know exactly where to go, needless to say, we had to go back and add a bunch of directional signs because everyone kept getting lost.

On a side note, the domed vinyl dots won't work, braille dots must be 1/16" in diameter in order to be read, vinyl dots that small won't stay put, especially after a few people run their fingers over it.

amw

If you drill the right size hole you should be able to put a raster braill bead in the hole. You would just need to make a template of the hole locations. But as others have said, the sign shouldnt go on the door unless you have no other place to put it.

Marsha

CanuckSigns

pfft. doming resin? just make a template, drill a tiny hole, and place a glass bead in it.
just don't tell the raster-braille people that I just released the secret of their patent.

We have the raster braille kit, I've seen quite a bit of hate towards the system by sign shops online and i've never understood why. the kit and licence is not expensive to buy, I think it's around $2000. we paid for the kit about 3 times on the first job we used it on.

My understanding is that the "braille insertion pen" is that actual part that is patented, not the process of putting a bead in a hole, you are free to drill a hole and put a bead in it however you choose to, but the pen makes the task must quicker and repeatable.

Like I said, i'm not sure why there is so much hate regarding the raster method, it's just another tool in your arsenal.

amw

We have the raster braille kit, I've seen quite a bit of hate towards the system by sign shops online and i've never understood why. the kit and licence is not expensive to buy, I think it's around $2000. we paid for the kit about 3 times on the first job we used it on.

My understanding is that the "braille insertion pen" is that actual part that is patented, not the process of putting a bead in a hole, you are free to drill a hole and put a bead in it however you choose to, but the pen makes the task must quicker and repeatable.

Like I said, i'm not sure why there is so much hate regarding the raster method, it's just another tool in your arsenal.
We have it also, and agree with you!

Marsha

MikePro

<3 photopolymer
agreed, however, that raster is yet another weapon in your arsenal. i'll continue to sub it out for now.

I still think its a great idea to raster the door, if that is your only option.
label on the door is better than no label at all, BUT label NEXT to the door (latch-side, particularly) is better than the former.