• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brush Question - Waterbased paint

neato

I'm working on a couple interior faux antiqued signs. I have a couple of Blick Gray Squirrel quills.

Can I use these with waterbased paint? I was thinking of trying the Ronan Aquacote or maybe just an acrylic house paint. Has anyone used this before for lettering work? I'm not a sign painter, just following a pattern I transferred to the signs.

I would rather work with WB paints since these are just interior signs. But I'm not dead set on that decision.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Technically, they might be considered a little too soft for what you're doing, but for the most part... a good painter can make any brush work with any medium, regardless of what the tools were intended to do.

Your brush might be a little limp when you get enough paint on it, causing it to drip unless you're working the paint a little on the dry side. For faux painting, you generally don't work too dry.

neato

Thanks guys. Those Mack brushes were recommended by another sign guy too. I guess I was just hoping to work with what I have available. But I'll save my quills for lettering enamel then. :)