• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brushable Clear Coat

rjssigns

Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

I didn't do the original job. Just trying to help the owner.

Problem: Sharp vinyl corners lifting. Display font was used. White vinyl with imitation gold leaf accents.
Where: Boat transom.
Fix: I figure I can trim back the tiny bits that lifted then use a fine brush to apply the tiniest bit of clear. Neatness counts.

Thing is I don't know what clear coat to use.

rjssigns

Be careful. If whatever you do goes wrong, you become the new job owner. Just sayin'.

JB

The specifics would be laid out, and need to be signed off before I do anything. I told the yard manager all the possible scenarios, and to get in touch with the owner. Best thing would be an R&R using a font better suited for the environment. If the owner insists on that specific font the only way it will last is to do it in paint then gild the accents. Downside with that approach is when the boat gets sold. A name change becomes a huge expense for the new owner.

visual800

Frog Juice and Clearshield is not going to help this situation, as mater of fact both products suck.

If the vinyl is lifting you could offer to redo or simply ignore it till it curls all the way up and THEN redo it

Billct2

If it can really be saved by trimming, I would put a clear vinyl over it and trim with an 1/8" overlap.
But redoing may be the best solution

jfiscus

Rap Master
If it can really be saved by trimming, I would put a clear vinyl over it and trim with an 1/8" overlap.
THIS. Put some laminate that has rounded corners encapsulating it 1/8" all around over the graphic.

rjssigns

Going that route would entail a complete redo. Transom is massive and has a compound curve. I had mentioned redoing the job with the laminate trimmed to encapsulate.

Have to wait and see what the owner wants to do. Fortunately the boat isn't moving for at least 6 months.