• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brushed aluminum ACM outdoors?

Andy D

My customer wants a ACM panel with brush aluminum finish for his building sign. It will be black on silver, so I planed to use cut black vinyl, leaving the bushed aluminum exposed... But I'm wondering if that's a good idea, will the aluminum oxidize quickly? Would it be better apply printed and laminated clear?

Last edited:

rjssigns

Village wanted a brushed aluminum sign for a traffic roundabout. I used stainless faced DiBond. Not cheap, but not worrying about corrosion either.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
The material has a clear coat finish on it so the aluminum won’t oxidize. That clear finish however will start to break down and chalk out after 3-4 years in Arizona at least. If we spray clear urethane over the panel and vinyl or printed graphics it will last quite a bit longer.

OhioSigns

When I was looking at Brushed Aluminum ACM awhile back most of the stuff offered by sign suppliers was for interior use only. I have a buddy that manufacturers architectural cladding and facades and I get sheets of brushed aluminum ACM from him that is actually made for exterior purposes. The ones I get from him are made by Alpolic and they have a 10 year warranty.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
We did this property, all full 4x8 sheets of Brushed DiBond with standoffs. Not how WE wanted it done but the customer.. They've held up fine.

Attachments

• brushed.jpg
    brushed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 284