• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Brushed gold channel letters

Signs.from.god

Hey folks I’m working on a project that needs to be reverse channel letters and the customer wants a brushed gold look. . I am not sure if anyone has used a special paint or was able to achieve this with aluminum. Hoping I don’t have to get stainless steel. My current fabricator has a brushed gold aluminum sheet but the return is a darker shade of gold I was hoping it’s all one shade.

Thanks for your input

marsuni

Unitype-GR
Patina Painting!!!!

Attachments

• Patina-01.jpg
    Patina-01.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Patina-02.jpg
    Patina-02.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Patina-03.jpg
    Patina-03.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 70

Johnny Best

That aluminum is probably anodized and he has sheets that were not done at the same time and that is why the color difference.

MikePro

Chemetal has laminates nearly every finish you're looking for.
we simply pre-bond the ~.040" laminates to .125" aluminum, with multiple layers of paint mask to protect the finish while routing the shapes and fabricating the returns.
gold-steel-sign0.jpg

*edited: i do not own the rights to this image. I just couldn't think of gold laminate letters off the top of my head to pull a pic from our network, so i just googled it. I would also highly recommend NOT designing serifs into a reverse channel letter, cause they are a PITA to fab! (but we do it all the time. lol)

Last edited:

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Chemetal has laminates nearly every finish you're looking for.
we simply pre-bond the ~.040" laminates to .125" aluminum, with multiple layers of paint mask to protect the finish while routing the shapes and fabricating the returns.
gold-steel-sign0.jpg

*edited: i do not own the rights to this image. I just couldn't think of gold laminate letters off the top of my head to pull a pic from our network, so i just googled it. I would also highly recommend NOT designing serifs into a reverse channel letter, cause they are a PITA to fab! (but we do it all the time. lol)
Which Chemetal are you using? I was under the impression that Chemetal was only rated for interior use. How do you treat the returns & the seams where the returns are welded to the faces?

MikePro

phenolic-backed laminate is for interior-only, we use the metal backed just fine BUT it does get beatup outdoors after a half a decade or so.... as with any metallic/plated finish.
secret-sauce is which contact adhesive you use that will withstand the elements. spoiler alert, its rubber-based.

as stated before, I pre-paintmask the faces in preparation for the returns getting welded flush to the edge and painted along with the edge of the laminate.
...much easier to let my cnc cut the letter & paintmask in one-step than having to handapply & trim later prior to paint.