• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bubbles appearing in last half of Orajet 3164m

IceTrikes

Hello. So it seems ever since it started getting really chilly this winter we've begun having issues with our Orajet 3164m developing bubbles, before we even print onto it, and only partway into the roll too which is very inconvenient. We use an HP Latex 110. The room rarely gets below 40 even at night since we keep a heater running on low, so I'd be surprised if the cold is an issue, but considering this is the first winter we've had to deal with an extremely cold shop, I figure it's worth considering that too. Also considering that pretty much the entire nation is out of Orajet 3164m, I figure the little stuff that is out here may be from last batches and might be a little messed up to begin with. My other theory I something mechanical in the machine is yanking on the top of the substrate somehow? Anyways, if anybody has also experienced this and has found some kind of solution, please let me know. I've attached some pictures of the issue down below. Thanks.

20230110_170423.jpg
20230110_170418.jpg
20230110_170407.jpg

heyskull

I try and keep my print room temperature to about 18-20C if you are in Farenheight that is way to cold.
Also I also find that the big issue is humidity as the backing sheet can absorb moisture and can cause issues with ink laying down on the material properly.

SC

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Lotsa things can cause that.. 40° is too old for the vinyl and your machine. Is it a new roll ?? Do you unravel the vinyl so the machine is only pulling light weight I??

IceTrikes

Lotsa things can cause that.. 40° is too old for the vinyl and your machine. Is it a new roll ?? Do you unravel the vinyl so the machine is only pulling light weight I??
I don't think I know what you mean by unravel the vinyl. We just load it into the machine normally. That's what I thought about the temperature though. I'll look into getting a few more heaters.

IceTrikes

I try and keep my print room temperature to about 18-20C if you are in Farenheight that is way to cold.
Also I also find that the big issue is humidity as the backing sheet can absorb moisture and can cause issues with ink laying down on the material properly.

SC
That's an interesting point about humidity. We keep our room at around 50% humidity, which is what the shelf life recommendations are for our vinyl, but I wonder if that's a bit too high when paired with the winter cold.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you have the roll on the holders and fed through the machine, you need to take some slack off of the pinchers, so they're only pulling some lightweight material. Not pulling off a full roll. That creates too much weight, especially if its a new roll. We take slack off, until the roll is almost finished. If you're hooked up to a take-up reel, then it's a different story.

Joe House

Gino, the supply on this printer is driven by a motor, so your suggestion doesn't apply in this case.

This is from the site prep guide that you should have gotten when or before you got the printer (under environmental specifications):

Relative humidity range for best print quality 40–60%, depending on substrate type
Relative humidity range for printing 20-80%, depending on substrate type
Temperature range for best print quality 20 to 25°C (68 to 77°F), depending on substrate type
Temperature range for printing 15 to 30°C (59 to 86°F)
Temperature range when not in operation -25 to +55°C (-13 to +131°F)
Temperature gradient no more than 10°C/h (18°F/h)

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Had this problem when 3M IJ35 first came out about 10 years ago. Was heating problem with the printer that would cause the vinyl to tunnel, as what you are seeing in yours, and then printer head strikes. It was Jan/Feb, the room was cold for the most part yet dry, due to it being winter. I had to lower the heat on the platen so that when the calendared vinyl went through, it reduced the amount of tunneling. After wasting the better part of (2) two rolls, I went back to Oracal 3165G then 3165GRA.
How old is the batches you are using?

IceTrikes

Gino, the supply on this printer is driven by a motor, so your suggestion doesn't apply in this case.

This is from the site prep guide that you should have gotten when or before you got the printer (under environmental specifications):

Relative humidity range for best print quality 40–60%, depending on substrate type
Relative humidity range for printing 20-80%, depending on substrate type
Temperature range for best print quality 20 to 25°C (68 to 77°F), depending on substrate type
Temperature range for printing 15 to 30°C (59 to 86°F)
Temperature range when not in operation -25 to +55°C (-13 to +131°F)
This is really helpful information actually. Thank you for sending this. It is easier to justify buying more heaters for the shop when you've got hard numbers to back it up.

Had this problem when 3M IJ35 first came out about 10 years ago. Was heating problem with the printer that would cause the vinyl to tunnel, as what you are seeing in yours, and then printer head strikes. It was Jan/Feb, the room was cold for the most part yet dry, due to it being winter. I had to lower the heat on the platen so that when the calendared vinyl went through, it reduced the amount of tunneling. After wasting the better part of (2) two rolls, I went back to Oracal 3165G then 3165GRA.
How old is the batches you are using?
I'm glad to hear someone else has experienced this. Our batch of 3164m just arrived about two weeks ago, but I can't see the production date on the packaging. Considering the rough shape the packaging is in though and the problems suppliers have had with getting 3164 shipped in, I'd assume pretty old. I tried reducing the heat also and it has actually worked quite well. Hopefully it warms up soon and things can get back on track. I feel pretty certain it's a temperature/humidity thing now. Thanks for the response.