• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bullet Resistant Sign material???

akuarela

Have this customer that claims to have a "self-healing" sign out in the country (great sport around here, shooting those signs...). Of course, he didn't bring it with, and we're supposed to replace it.

Anyone had any experience with something like this, I don't want to spend a lot on an experiment that may or not work.

Appreciate the feedback!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL MY FELLOW SIGNMAKERS!

Akuarela

CanuckSigns

1" thick steel should be resistant to any bullet lol.

I've never heard of such a thing, unless he's talking about Lexan, which is what they make bullet proof glass out of, but I believe the Lexan has a process done to it to make it "bullet proof"

Pat Whatley

The problem with bullet resistant fiberglass and Lexan is going to be the amount of damage the material takes when it absorbs the impact. It would look worse than just having a bullet hole in there.

Mosh

ask mosh.

Bullet-resistant glass is usually constructed using a strong but transparent layered Polycarbonate Thermoplastic or by using layers of Laminated glass.
Lexan alone is not bullet-proof.
I think this customer is full of it.

akuarela

If I knew what he was talking about...
Thanks for the feedback. I had just found out Armor Core and will give them a call, also thought of our self healing mat, but when we had drilled in it the holes are still right there.
HDU foam maybe? but I guess you still would have to cover it to resist the weather, and any protection would probably crack.

Anyhow, I'll post any good (or not so) findings.

Akuarela:thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The only self-healing stuff out there has to be faster than a speeding bullet.... like Superman

....... or this person............

fat head.gif

visualeyez

First of all, your dumb customer probably has polycarb. Second of all, somebody in your area sold it to them, and he/she believed whatever the heck the "professionals" had to say. Third of all, sell them some more polycarb, tell him it's the same crap, get thier money, and get them out of your shop. "Self-healing sings" are like Psychics winning the lottery. If all else fails, ask them to state in his/her own words what self healing means, and to what extent they expect your product to comply with, the no recognized sanctioning body of the requirements to be fulfilled by businesses using the term.
Meaning, the term "self-healing" needs a reference point such as "to fingernail scratches" or "Cannon balls" so you have an idea of your expected criteria to be reached.