• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Burn out

wildside

i have been feeling the burn out for the past few months, usually headed to vegas about this time of the year, but skipping it, as way to much is going on, but at least i get to head for eureka springs arkansas in two days to hit the lake for some stripers saturday

got to love an 8 hour drive one way to fish for 5 hours..

always enjoy some of the hand carved signs in downtown eureka, gives me inspiration that clients do want something other than a sharpie on cardboard, no wait they want a vegas sign for the price of a sharpie on cardboard, thats right

iSign

I find that diversifying is helpful. I started with a screen printing shop that I purchased from a former employer. I already had job experience at vinyl cutting shops prior to working at that shop, so when I took over ownership of the screen printing shop, I got a computer, software & vinyl cutter to branch out from screen printing. That kept my interest when I was starting to get tired of the same old same old squeegee pulling, screen cleaning, monotony... and then later i decided to get an edge printer which gave me more variety. At that time I also got more into using photoshop & designing differently to make use of the diverse Edge printing capabilities that were not as easy or not possible in cut vinyl... and that new design direction also helped keep the growing diversity of self employment from getting stale...

Back then i got to where I couldn't even consider a vacation & one year I had my daughter's H.S. graduation & my brothers wedding the same summer & both trips were like long weekends with almost more time spent traveling then relaxing...

...so then I started studying business books & began working with Jon Aston a bit as well.. plotting a course for me to grow my business to the point of being an employer who did not have to do everything himself. The theory was that I would at least be able to take a vacation some day & not have to close the business down & rush home before I even got to relax. That was years ago, but it was an important goal for me & I put a lot of energy into it.

Over time i did make that transition, and once I had qualified help, I felt more comfortable with more equipment purchases too, because i was able to turn more manpower into more profitability, & I had someone to crank out the bread & butter jobs, while i learned to set-up, maintain & profitably operate the Mimaki inkjet printer I bought... so again, this growing & changing kept my interest & excitement for this industry high, & kept my willingness to devote 60+ hours a week to building a viable business... & of course large format & photo quality capabilities also enhanced my design skills, which i made a concentrated effort to increase in the areas that would capitalize on those new equipment based design opportunities...

The other opportunities afforded by having employees was that I did finally feel like i could afford vacations & among other things i started going to a few Letterhead meets, sign conventions & sign workshops..

Basically thses sort of intentional growth phases have always led to renewed appreciation for the things i love about self employment in general & this industry in particular.

Folks who ave read my posts over the years know I have also began to focus more on building a website (with Joe Diaz), learning other marketing skills, and of course another recent equipment purchase of a CNC router.. so I have plenty of new opportunities for learning in front of me, still work over 60 hours a week... and still love it as much as the first sign job I took in 1989 when i knew instantly that I had found my life's calling

Jillbeans

I think I've been burned out for about 5 years but I am good at faking it.
It started when work got real slow for some reason, and I had to get a real job for about 6 months. I did like the regular pay.
Now I have a good amount of work and a base of old customers.
I am getting crabby in my old age, and I find myself referring a lot of jobs away just so I don't have to fret over doing something I don't love.
Every once in awhile I will get a job that I am just on fire for, and it is revitalizing and satisfying. The glow from that will last awhile.

I do go to bed early every night and spend at least an hour reading.
And most weekends I go out on long rides.
I am usually looking at signs when I do, but I can't help it.
I am glad spring is finally coming, this has been a tedious winter.
Saw crocus blooming and green grass sprouting, buds on the trees.
A whole new crop of jobs will be coming in, I better practice my smile.
Maybe I will land one of those great jobs where the client listens and lets me do my best.
Love....Jill

btropical.com

Mini vacations is the key , we are going to hunting camp this weekend for spring turkey season here in florida . i will shoot a hog but turkey i will buy at grocery store . Riding around through the woods doing nothing but contemplating new ideas . We goto http://images.google.com/images?hl=...ch fl&aql=&gs_rfai=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi which is only 2 hrs from our door and a mini vaca only cost gas beer food money . Lifes to short to drink cheap beer !:goodpost: I day tripped to sebring raceway yesterday to see this xj13 jaguar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD_KQartkVY

Ponto

:ROFLMAO:I run 5 different outlets(only one is signage) and have decided a few years ago that if I can't have plenty of free time...then it is not worth it. Take time of all the time. Delegate......in other words I do the worrying,they (staff) do the working. Work at your business and not in your business. Always make your staff believe you are very busy and running all over the show....don't tell them you going fishing...let them think you are running of to another business meeting. It is fun to answer my business line on my kayak while fishing and the person on the other side think I am working in a office somewhere....:ROFLMAO:

...interesting thread until...:omg2:...karma, as they say, can be a bi*ch

JP

Sticky Signs

All inclusive vacation to Mexico. What more could you ask for. One week of doing absolutely nothing but eating, drinking, sun, beach, ocean and relaxing. Plus it's pretty affordable.
I did learn however to tie up loose ends before leaving because they will haunt you. Work is the last thing you want to be thinking about when your snorkeling with manta rays and day-glow fish.
If that doesn't work for you, I suggest a big bottle of your favorite booze stashed in your desk!