• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

business forsale

dmeehan31

well i have been working at this small sign company for 9 months now... its slow and the equipment is cheap. i have been self teaching myself for these 9 months and the owner just comes in when ever he pleases and doesnt really try to make this business work.

i have brought in more business just talking to people than he does.

now he is trying to sell this place for 30 grand and i have to laugh cause we have MAYBE 6 grand worth of materials and equipment here.

he tells me he would take 20 from me and i have to laugh.

im wondering if i should just try to be real with him and say i know what things cost or just buy different equipment all together.

i see there is easy money made in this business especially when tied together with t shirts.

if anyone has had anything like this happen to them or and advise they would love to share please feel free because i would like to stay in business and his name doesnt mean anything as far as the this company is concerned

:thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Simple. Take out a loan, buy your own equipment and tell him you're gonna set up shop right next door, unless he gives you the keys, lock, stock and barrel for [name your price].

iSign

I bought my former employers business for $25K, although there wasn't really much value in the equipment or inventory... It was the best investment I ever made... But of course there are a million details that need to be compared to find out if you could benefit as well as I did...

The biggest consideration I would make is this... employees know it all, owners know nothing, and as long as you keep that in mind, your vast superiority over the guy feeding you will remain intact. Good luck!

jiarby

how much money have you got??

I'd advise you to write a serious business plan and analyze ALL the costs involved in manufacturing, distributing, and marketing the products you want to sell.

Do not get bogged down in your current scenario, just exactly what would you have to do to open your own place next door and operate it for the next 6-12 months.

Once you understand the numbers THEN you can decide what to offer the boss.

What he wants should have no bearing on what you offer. Your business plan will tell you.

dmeehan31

lololololololol

i am spread out through a few different businesses and i can profit and extra 1500 to 2 grand a month here just using a little bit of my free time.

i know this may not be a lot of money to a bunch of people BUT notice i said an extra...

all i do is silk screen t shirts and make coro signs at 8 bucks a sq ft and 12 a sq ft if i use seabond and i know most of those signs for 4x8 coro i have maybe 25 in a sign and 55 in a 4x8 seabond. so yeah it is easy money for the mark up

Locals Find!

What is the overhead on the shop? Maintenance of equipment costs? Insurance costs? Taxes?

You are an employee not the owner. So your probably not thinking about all those things the owner has to deal with.

He may have loans out on the business or other costs involved that are affecting why he set the price where he did. Without all the facts your pissing and moaning. With no real knowledge.

Be happy you got a paycheck, and go back and do your homework. Then don't ever again bash someone like your boss like you know more than he does. If you did you wouldn't still be an employee or even on here asking the question like you did.

2972renfro

There is alot more than just material costs with each sign or shirt. Quit looking at the $50 in material for the $200 sign and thinking you are profiting $150

When you say put in a little free time... are you hiring someone so you won't have to work? So you think you can work at this part time and make a living? You are not giving enough info. Doesn't sound like a legitimate business or one that will succeed. Everyone thinks signs and t-shirts is such easy money

Pat Whatley

Honestly there are about 100 questions you need to ask/answer before you can really put a value on the shop and compare it to opening your own shop.

When I bought my shop I literally filled two notebooks with business plan info, license info, profit/loss calculations, overhead and material cost info and anything else I could come up with. Two entire notebooks plus a folder filled with copies of financial statements, accounts recievable records and tons of other stuff. People thought I was crazy for paying what I did for the shop when I could have gone out on my own and taken half the customers with me for around $10,000. Anybody who didn't understand the whole situation would have looked at it and though the place was borderline bankrupt. My accountants, however, went over everything and saw exactly what I was seeing and laughed at deal I got.

If you're just looking to make a side business out of this don't buy his shop, just buy the equipment you need and work from home....just make damn sure you're charging what you're worth.

phototec

i can profit and extra 1500 to 2 grand a month here just using a little bit of my free time.

Oh, I get it, he's working on the side making signs and pocketing the money, using his bosses business and materials, thinks it's ok cause it's his FREE time!

:omg2:

dmeehan31

Oh, I get it, he's working on the side making signs and pocketing the money, using his bosses business and materials, thinks it's ok cause it's his FREE time!

:omg2:

not even close i pay the bills the over head of the shop is about 1200 to 1400 as far as rent and util. i am the only 1 here i make the orders on shirts and supplies and we order as needed we keep about 1000 in stock for vinyl and coro. i OWN 2 other companies 1 is doing real well pays all my personal bills and then some and the other company is a network marketing company so i have monday thru friday regular office hours free.

you guys are reading way to much into it... its not my ability to run a business, i have been buying and selling businesses for years, i was simply asking for some constructive ideas because truthfully i woukd probably sell this in a year or 2 after i brought it up to my standards.

im not looking for a$$ holes and their sorry trying to be funny or degrading comments im looking for some things maybe i didnt think of or situations like mine.

im not broke, i dont need to be here nor do i need to own it, i can always put my money else where this is not my ONLY income. to me it is just easy work, low cost low risk and a higher margin of profit.

so i guess this thread can be closed since it has been taken past what i was looking for into a bashing of me when i asked a simple question and it turns into im stealing from my boss a petty 1500 to 2k a month when you dont know the half of it

klemgraphics

Sounds like you already have it figured out. Almost all small shops are worthless without the owner as they are what makes the business what it is. So it isn't worth much to the present owner nor will it probably be to you in a year or two unless you experience tremendous growth or you come with the business purchase.

I would never say it is easy money, especially to a bunch of shop owners who bust a$$ every day to make it work.

dmeehan31

Be happy you got a paycheck, and go back and do your homework. Then don't ever again bash someone like your boss like you know more than he does. If you did you wouldn't still be an employee or even on here asking the question like you did.

I dont collect a paycheck here, i wanted to get an insight of the business it has always interested me. i read books on sign making and design i do not take 1 cent out of this place. i came here to see if this is something i wanted to invest in and i see where money can be made. we have no loans for this business and there is no bashing going on about him.

sometimes i wonder if you people really read all the way through a post before posting a negative post back... im not a normal person here I DONT NEED THE MONEY... ill take it but i dont need it.

i have learned a lot through these forums and books and all i do is home work. i see potential here for either sticking with the simple signs i do myself (which are easy) or maybe making a bigger company out of this and actually spend money on doing bigger things. dont come at me like im a bad employee instead read and understand my post then speak

m_s_p

All that really matters is how much will it cost up front and how long will it take you to recoup the investment. If you are good with the payback period go for it.

If you think you can do a better job advertising and developing the business to shorten the payback then good for you. I

f you can buy better equipment and still keep a good amount of the customers by going out on your own then that may be a better option.

No one can really give you great advise because we don't have all of the info. Good luck.