• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"...But we don't want to spend a lot..."

Val47

I don't have to talk to anyone on that subject, because I am that kind of business with life-time clients. They do not ask price, they just want the service they request. And I don't have to be their friend, just an business acquaintance.
We get newbies, who just don't know. They have to wait for the owner/sales person for an estimate.
Then we have our regulars, who deal with me, because they don't need a quote, they just need it done...and they know I'm the gal that does it. I train them. "oh... you sent that to (my boss)? send it to me, and I'll get it into production. As long as you don't need a price quote... (not my job)... if you want it done... you send it to me. I'll let the boss know and he'll send you the bill.

Val47

Being the cheapest...that IS criminal!

JB
We are not the cheapest. But we are quick turnaround, and excellent quality. You get what you pay for.. sometimes that cost comes with a pita tax, sometimes you are retail and get wholesale pricing because your likable, easy and keep coming back. I don't make the rules, or pricing... I just make awesome signs and graphics. I think my boss realizes my value in not only a capable and productive Production Manager, but customers really like me. Again, not an asset that's "required", but makes me more valuable as an employee in a small business.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Many of the people on this board have been in the sign industry for a very long time. They have dealt with countless numbers of clients and made some mistakes along the way. Through those mistakes, they have learned to read people, their motivations, and what they really want. Occasionally our assumptions are wrong and we have learned how to gracefully pivot. During the conversation, most of us probably take the time to educate the client about the process and materials used. Bigger jobs get more time and smaller jobs less because the profit levels are very different. This education is a hedge against shoppers. If you're the first on the list they will be a savvy shopper and be able to ask good questions and compare apples to apples. They will remember you. This is an investment of time which is a valuable commodity$$. Sometimes you don't really have the time because of a deadline, but you make it. When JB's situation arises, occasionally we vent on here at the end of the day.

I could be wrong but as I read it (listening between the lines) JB did listen, figured out what the client wanted, and gave them a price. The client's expectations didn't meet their budget. JB is airing out a common grievance we have all had from time to time. Like most of us, he probably offered a more cost-effective solution but still couldn't meet their budget. Six fifty gets you McDonald's, not a fancy ala carte steakhouse.

Robert: an observation - to me, it seems like you are trying to inject your advertisement for LISTENING into a lot of the threads and it seems forced. You are getting feedback/pushback from the members but I'm not sure if you are listening.

Val47

LOL - I keep seeing specific replies to Robert the Robot in several threads... I've blocked/ignored it (him)... I can't see what it's posting, but everyone keeps replying to the robot. Makes me a little curious, but not enough to let the bot back into my feeds.
Hey S101... it's a bot who preaches listening. Not much else - oh except it's independently wealthy, and it's recording all data and stats from this site. Spreadsheet style. if you read it's thread - it's recording that data... if you reply, it's recording that data.
Robert is a bot. A very sophisticated code experiment. I suspect it's coming either from Russia or China - or the middle east - it won't admit which because it's "independently wealthy and does not need sponsorship". I asked it.

Val47

in case you were wondering... I say what I say because It contacted me through a pm. I asked questions, then got a robotic response. I laid out my history for the book it seems to be collecting information for... I got a robotic response. Is there anyway for the Admins for this site to find out for a fact? Would be great to NOT have the robotic-invasive distraction in threads. unproductive waste of readership.
Users can see users viewing a thread, and it lists legit members, guests and BOTS. Why is this identity not being identified as a bot? There in lies the sophisticated part I mentioned. I want to eliminate Robert... because he/it is not one of us. It's a hack.

Johnny Best

in case you were wondering... I say what I say because It contacted me through a pm. I asked questions, then got a robotic response. I laid out my history for the book it seems to be collecting information for... I got a robotic response. Is there anyway for the Admins for this site to find out for a fact? Would be great to NOT have the robotic-invasive distraction in threads. unproductive waste of readership.
Users can see users viewing a thread, and it lists legit members, guests and BOTS. Why is this identity not being identified as a bot? There in lies the sophisticated part I mentioned. I want to eliminate Robert... because he/it is not one of us. It's a hack.

I am starting to believe you are right about Robert being a robot. He seems to respond when you hit him across the face with "Johnny nice hit, you must be working out".
Maybe he is like Data and trying to acquire human feelings.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
He's not a bot. He's an old man that lives in a very small apartment in California. I think he's taking the self help books too seriously and what you are seeing is the results of him following the teachings... that's why no one with intelligence reads those things... you'll end up sounding like a computer program. I bet if someone wrote a book about wiping your own ass it will sell.

Johnny Best

He's not a bot. He's an old man that lives in a very small apartment in California. I think he's taking the self help books too seriously and what you are seeing is the results of him following the teachings... that's why no one with intelligence reads those things... you'll end up sounding like a computer program. I bet if someone wrote a book about wiping your own *** it will sell.

How do we know Tex, that your not an algarytm that gives out information to throw robot hunters off it's tracks?
Where's the real Texas Signmaker? Probably stuck up in his new lift when the machine was programed to shut off and leave Tex stranded 30' in the air!

signbrad

"...spend a lot..." could mean a hundred different things. Let me suggest a very simple question.
"Interesting. What more would you like me to know?"
And then see where the conversation goes. Just the fact the you want to listen to them will be a rare treat.

I believe this can be a good way to handle this situation. Years ago I used to turn people away when they made comments like this customer, sometimes with a snarky send off. I felt offended that a customer would dare question my price. In my eyes, they were diminishing my value as a sign maker. Then came the day that I did this and found out later that the customer went to a competitor and not only gave him the job, but paid a significantly higher price than I was going to quote. Me and my big mouth, right? Then, at some point, I also realized that I did the same dam thing whenever I bought cars. I would say, "I don't want to spend a lot." I would even say, "Can't you do better than that?" I did this regardless of the initial price quote. Why? Because I considered myself a hot dog horse trader. I knew they would come down if I asked. I would even play dealers against each other. Some of them didn't like it, but I usually saved some money.

I no longer get offended by customers that say they don't want to spend a lot. I now often use a two or three-tiered pricing strategy. And I don't start with the bottom price. I will come down in price, though usually insisting on a "concession."
And sometimes our ability at the art of selling can make all the difference. If we don't like selling, or are poor persuaders, or feel that all our jobs should be humbly handed to us without question, then we may lose out on a customer that may turn out to be a good one. We would certainly be handicapped as a car salesman.

Also, it's good to remember that not all buyers are looking for the cheapest. But they all want a good value. We do, too.

We sign goobers are sometimes a feisty lot, aren't we? Many "creatives" are (artist's ego?). :)

Brad in Kansas City

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They don't make phone books anymore. I'm like a little old Asian lady in the truck, I can barely see over the hood and run over things constantly. I need one of those rear view camera things...for the front

TXFB.INS

We have this in the lobby....

upload_2020-10-8_16-20-48.png

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Pay for a Pinto but expect a Porsche

I miss my old Pinto. It was the only car I've ever had the gear shifter come completely out of the floor when shifting from third into fourth. I jammed it back down into the boot, and amazingly it snapped back into place and all was good. I figure it must be some kind of a safety feature.

JB

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I miss my old Pinto. It was the only car I've ever had the gear shifter come completely out of the floor when shifting from third into fourth. I jammed it back down into the boot, and amazingly it snapped back into place and all was good. I figure it must be some kind of a safety feature.

JB
Must be.
Break-a-way shifter - so you don't get impaled by the gear knob as you are thrown around when the gas tank explodes.