• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Buying a Dimensional Sign Business

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone. I'm reposting this in the "open to all section as I now know its where more of the conversations are. You can look up my original post, my first post here.

As per the original post, my background is acrylic fabrication for over 20 years most of those with CNC cutting as part of our offered services.

I have the opportunity to buy a local to-the-trade dimensional letter / sign company. The name has a long history, back to the 80's and the local reputation particularly for it's painting is good. However, it sold in 2019 to a 3-way partnership that is in a bad state (now worse) and the sales volume is about 1/2 what it was in 2019 and earlier (now 1/4). Since I work with some sign shops myself, there is customer overlap and I can ask them about this business too. I think, with new life, the reputation is probably salvageable. Price (if the ownership all agrees) will be "assets at auction" level or a little higher. It will come with a location that is needed for the paint booth but isn't ideal but I think is still sort of cheap as the market has been going sky high here recently.

I am coming from a bit the opposite side of the business. I currently do the basic letter cutting for the guys that are slapping latex on Styrofoam and putting the letters 20-30 ft up, or sintra letters that are left unpainted or that get sent to others for painting to a letter finish that this business normal produces. Occasionally I do push thru backlit letter jobs too with alupanel backs. I have been the cheap and quick alternative to the company for sale for a mostly very local sign client base.

The dimensional letter company has 1 full time employee and the overworked managing owner (a old-school hand sign painter and pinstriper). He says he could stay to paint only 1-2 days a week. The existing employee might stay but might more into more admin role while training her replacement. I am going to have a sit down with her next week with the owners permission.

Since I last looked at the business last year, I have played with painting a little and edge sealing and it's still the labour intensive job I thought it was....hopefully I can move more to Acrylic letters where prep is much less.

In my original post, I was looking for general feedback on why guys and gals here see as the opportunities in this market particularly with Gemini as the 500lb gorilla of the industry.

I'm more comfortable that this is a worthwhile business addition if the price is right, but I am still curious as to what types of CNC cut letters would be most commonly shopped for? Painted (custom colors) versus black / white that could be just colored acrylic (or sintra). Metal versus plastic letters, etc. This new business probably would fall below more lettering considered "architectural", but they do have some 10K+ orders and that's bigger $ than I generally see, and despite Gemini they can and do compete and the feedback I have (from shared customers) is that my ownership would be a positive.

Truth be told, it's a mutual customer that is driving the possible purchase this time at that is because the managing owner is burnt out and about to shut the place down....no one seems likely to step in except me.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Wow. I'll be interested in your ultimate conclusion...
In my business, nothing is typical, and everything is variable, and demands for anything goes in cycles.
That's 3D and flat. Covid put the brakes on all the 3D sign fabrication we used to do. We're back to oother fabrication, and a bit of brush painting & striping again.
It'd be good to get in with some shopfitters' needs again, but the world is funny...

and it's that funniness that's a bit of a concern.

In your case, if demand has dropped to 1/4, is the business name & good will still valuable - and could that 3/4 be reclaimed? Have clients gone elsewhere? What is typical these days? I'm finding it to be a more price-conscious world.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Price conscious is ok, that's more where my existing work is at.

My ultimate conclusion is pretty much already to buy if the price is cheap. The bigger question is if all 3 partners (the 51% in particular) will agree to such a price.

I do suspect the 3/4 and more can eventually be reclaimed but some of the value is plastic stuff (like a mounting panel for dimensional letters in 3/8 clear acrylic, polished edges, standoffs, etc) I can market to a larger audience than I might have done otherwise.

There is a local demand that will have no supply if this shop closes but can't buy it if they decide to bury it rather than sell it.

BTW, when you say "shopfitters" do you mean a millwork company that might do all the work for a given store opening? I don't (think) they really even reached that market.

I'm currently on the assumption the larger jobs are new building related but it could be stores too.

It really is an LOL situation for me, one customer is negotiating for me, another dropped of a printout of his last 3 years of purchases from the place and a 3rd larger customer also views me buying it as a promising change.

But these things happen when the guy running it has already sent out an email to customers saying he's bowing out.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
'shop fitters' , in Australia, are a company that does cabinet making, interior fixing & fitting, carpets, windows, doors, to make the counters, shelves, and all of the shop look like a shop, instead of like an empty cavern. That includes architect-designed signage.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
'shop fitters' , in Australia, are a company that does cabinet making, interior fixing & fitting, carpets, windows, doors, to make the counters, shelves, and all of the shop look like a shop, instead of like an empty cavern. That includes architect-designed signage.
Yeah, ok, these would be called millwork shops in my locale. I suspect some shops can do their own work in house but I don't know if this company even has ever marketed themselves to that industry....they might only do the jobs that millwork shops sub out to sign shops who then in turn sub some of it to this company.....I can't help but think that's limiting if true. Hell, the "color oriented" and pantone matched painting (versus wood oriented) might be a selling point for that market, beyond just letters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If 3/4's of the business has gone elsewhere, I seriously doubt you'll get more than a fraction to return, unless you lower your prices to help beg for their business. However, most people would know what you are doing and maybe not return for fear of lesser grade products. If the price is cheap enough, can you really trust everything will still be in place ?? To me, too many red flags are waving in your face, before you even get started.

Oh, and could you easily sell across the border ??

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Well, key to the whole place I think is the current woman working there that has been prepping the letters, even if she moves to oversight and someone else does the work. The existing guy will still paint as a subcontractor and I'll probably learn to paint. I think I can manage the paint side, it's fairly obvious if it's done right or not. Prep is (as in all painting, ever) the key.

The person most worried about keeping the quality up seems to be me, honestly. And I think if I was an unknown entity probably would have exactly the trust issues you mention (and why no other interested buyers have shown up)

I would be trying to add work that involves less prep as an option because not everyone needs or wants say sintra (or even styrofoam) letters that look as good as acrylic letters on the edges. Gemini doesn't even offer those options but guys like woodland mfg. do and they aren't filling the edges.

I wouldn't lower prices but I do have the financial room to do some first order %off deals or something to entice customers back, and a sales push that probably hasn't been done in maybe forever. Sales push simply being meet and greet shops with a sample board made by new team / processes so it should be representative of what they will get.

And yes I could sell across the line if I wanted to, but it would not be a priority.

If this was a business I wasn't familiar with, the red flags would be too big for sure. But some of these customers will try to get me to be the replacement shop anyways so buying the real deal and knowledge at a good price makes sense enough, although that's also because I'm expert enough with CNC to maximize the liquidated value of the assets if I need to....current owners not so much. They have a tool changer router they didn't learn how to use when they bought the place and use the 20year old single spindle unit instead....despite me reminding them they could likely get a tech out from the dealer in town to get it up and running. I'd get that running in 1-2 days as I thinks it's just a software issue.

Going to try and talk to this woman working there today.

John Miller

You seem to have a good reputation, If they have specific piece of equipment or two that you need, buy them from the failing company, start doing the work they do, and fill their void when they close. **BTW if you cut letters out of black PVC they will warp badly with hot sun exposure.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
My gut says buy it if it's cheap. They have run it into the ground in sales that I might be the only guy around that thinks that. But I see the double benefit of learning their processes and not having to compete in a limited market with a successor. Those are worth the trouble to buy the place versus just buying a paint booth and learning myself.

rossmosh

1. When purchasing a business like this, you want the value of the assets to cover a majority of the sale price. This business is shutting its doors if you don't buy them so don't go too crazy offering a lot over asset value.

2. Be careful buying bad assets. The CNC machine, inventory, and paint booth are probably where all the money is. But if the inventory is a bunch of garbage that can't be used and the CNC machine is 30 years old and beat to hell, and the paint booth is 30 years ago with a poor filtration system, what exactly are you buying?

3. The finishing is 100% the biggest thing to learn when taking over a business like this. What may seem easy to them may take you 6-12 months to do at a reasonably high level. But there are going to be days where the current owner takes out some brushes and does something that you couldn't do, maybe ever. With that said, there are different ways to make signs that make finishing easier.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
1. When purchasing a business like this, you want the value of the assets to cover a majority of the sale price. This business is shutting its doors if you don't buy them so don't go too crazy offering a lot over asset value.

2. Be careful buying bad assets. The CNC machine, inventory, and paint booth are probably where all the money is. But if the inventory is a bunch of garbage that can't be used and the CNC machine is 30 years old and beat to hell, and the paint booth is 30 years ago with a poor filtration system, what exactly are you buying?

3. The finishing is 100% the biggest thing to learn when taking over a business like this. What may seem easy to them may take you 6-12 months to do at a reasonably high level. But there are going to be days where the current owner takes out some brushes and does something that you couldn't do, maybe ever. With that said, there are different ways to make signs that make finishing easier.
1) agree
2) I'm actually very impressed by the output of the working machine which is the older one. The newer better one should be as good, same brand. Better than my machine which, while not great, is better than my previous machine and probably already better than the majority of machines in use by sign shops.

Paint booth is newer, the business moved and the paint booth dates back to that move. Was a huge open bay I think before that.
3) true, although I will do my best to try and improve upon the current methods.

I have said about this business that buying a business that makes, finishes and paints letters is a little "meh" but if you can turn it into a letter making factory (ie automate some of the finishing) that would be worth real money.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When I first read the op, it was over my head on so many levels. Reading the input that's occurred... I've realized This is one of my favorite threads. lot's of good input here. That's All I can contribute.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
One more thing I should add (other than I couldn't make it to talk to the one employee there today), is that when speaking to the one large mutual customer they said the main advantage was speed. Gemini, they said is usually better quality (marginally) but takes up to 3+ weeks to get anything. This place I guess is 1-2 weeks typically. This customer usually does prioritize speed from me too. In fact I cut some letters that the other shop paints because that's quicker.

Not the first time I have heard that Gemini (Canada at least) preproduction time and shipping time / default shipping options are weak spots. Another mutual customer will only express ship because of lost shipments with the default option, which adds another 2+ weeks to resolve.

I will be leaning on more materials that don't need finishing work and on speed of turnaround for those options as strategies for regrowth. Matte white and Black acrylic as simple examples.

CanuckSigns

You said the current owner has already told his clients the business is closing, that is a huge red flag. About 10 years ago we bought a small business, the owner was retiring, he told all of his clients that he was retiring at the end of the year, I would say 75-80% of his client base jumped ship when they heard and found other vendors, after we bought the business we called his old contacts and the vast majority told me they found another vendor after the old owner told them he was retiring, and they were happy with the new vendor. In the end we got less than 10 new clients who actually started using us.

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
Not too worried. I also did that once. Small competitor, small price, all the customers were cheapest of the cheap and not a lot of repeat business. Kept one customer that was sort of worth it.

But, made sure a competitor was gone (a bigger deal for a plastic fabrication place), got some equipment we have used for 15+ years and some techniques that helped us make our money back even when the customers evaporated.

But that's why asset price has to be the basis of selling, because what you describe is possible.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Seems like ya might've gotten some good feedback here. However, only you know the numbers and all the inside information. Ultimately, you need to decide. It might be now you're looking for someone to kick ya in the pants one way or the other. Huh ??

letterworks

Premium Subscriber
No. What I actually was hoping for was some customer feedback (ie you guys here) on what you typically order of the type of work this place does, and what values are most important....like are most dimensional jobs:
- low end
(styro, unpainted sintra, or diy paint 30 feet up installed)
- medium
(polyurethane pantone matched painted acrylic or letters of similar quality)
- or "architectural" (metal, fabricated metal)?

Obviously, different answers for different shops but I'm curious....because that info will only be open to me after I'm well into a possible purchase.

Although, I suppose I can sign a NDA that only protects the seller if they still exist.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, we haven't noticed any problems with gemini, plus 2 of our vendors already provide this kinda work and we've been using them for quite some time now. We use gemini primarily for the plaques and very specialty type items.

There was a company in our area which provided all kindsa sign and component packages and did one heck of a great job. Their work was simply amazing. We did a few signs for them over the years, but they went belly up about 6/7 years ago. They got so frickin' good, they expanded and expanded and expanded more, until they were so busy, they couldn't keep up with all of their orders. Turned out, they fired their top guy (who was the primary founder) and then it all fell apart, cause the new guy got greedy and their prices scared everyone away. Now, they have nothing. Might be what happened to the company you're looking into. Careful.

Last edited: